73 years old software engineer lost job and becomes Grab driver

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/7...r-december

https://tnp.straitstimes.com/news/singap...r-december

The 62-year-old lives in a four-room flat with her husband and daughter, and said they were hit hard during the Covid-19 pandemic.

She added that her husband, 73, found it hard to get re-employed due to his age, and now works as Grab driver.

He lost his job as a software engineer during the pandemic.

She said the money she received from the grant helped her to advertise her tuition centre to hopefully attract more parents and students and get business going once more.

I thought we are desperate in need of IT skills.

73 years old still need to worry about jobs loss meh?
I would work but at 50% relax pace even if employer still wan me, barely could see the green screen to script something useful
[+] 1 user Likes limpeh394's post

73yo rusty liao very difficult to do programming
[+] 1 user Likes WhatDoYouThink!'s post

The system already broken in the first place, when claim 73 yrs old still need to work??
[+] 1 user Likes [[ForeverAlone]]'s post

(25-12-2022, 06:58 PM)Harry Lee Wrote:  I thought we are desperate in need of IT skills.
 MOE was clearly relunctant to open up more IT seats in the last decade to pave cement smooth road for FTs. Therefore, our Govt painted a one- sided picture because no matter how desperate they are, it is still import instant IT FT Professionals.

Win the World but lost your Soul. 

73yo software engineer is remarkable.
When he was studying they were teaching slide rule.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

(25-12-2022, 06:58 PM)Harry Lee Wrote:  I thought we are desperate in need of IT skills.

During 2009, A 44 yo regional IT VP was retrenched and jobless. Eventually, he setup a Bak Chor Mee stall..

Probably, he still runs his stall today.

@ 73 yo, working as Grab driver

Is it shameful and degrading?

(25-12-2022, 07:37 PM)Scythian Wrote:  .

It is downgrading and demotion due to bad PAP's policies

while PAP over-pay and Under-perform with Fake Dignity

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

I find it hard to believe this news.

depending on skills and connections.
if like programming skill in outdated machine gone case. need to relearn. it industry renew every 5 years.
if you can do programming in like solidity sure there is good demand. your employer may be on the other side of the world you work from home. collect world class pay. and wonder if any tax to pay since income is from outside of singapore.

(25-12-2022, 07:37 PM)Scythian Wrote:  .

it is an honest living. nothing to be shameful nor degrading.

(25-12-2022, 08:31 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  I find it hard to believe this news.

Possible

1) Because he is those Pioneer who trained dozens of Fake FTs in IT

who came in 2000s who are younger than him to replace himself

2) With this Recession and still open floodgates under MOM

3) Often the Recruiter in most Foreign IT Companies are CECA 

who hire their own villagers

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 1 user Likes Ola's post

73 y o still working ?

jialat lah sinkies.
[+] 3 users Like K88 shu shu's post

Find some light work to by time is OK lah.
[+] 1 user Likes FangFang's post

(26-12-2022, 09:45 AM)sclim Wrote:  it is an honest living. nothing to be shameful nor degrading.

Possible to take home $4000 a month or not?

(26-12-2022, 10:23 AM)FangFang Wrote:  Find some light work to by time is OK lah.

He should be rec'd $900 or more CPF payout monthly

If drives to past time, it's his choice. 
But still need to make a living, I feel sorry for him. 
Everyone for himself. No one owes us a living. Plan for your own retirement.

This guy 73 will be 笨死的....

And this is why need to increase GST , etc etc taxes to give " money to these people "

The Govt extend another year till end of 2023 for those recently got retrench etc , every month get 700

73 years so lau kok kok why work? Unless he needs to support several wives and mistresses. Then serve him right. After 60yrs should already relac and enjoy life.

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes p1acebo's post

(26-12-2022, 11:19 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  73 years so lau kok kok why work? Unless he needs to support several wives and mistresses. Then serve him right. After 60yrs should already relac and enjoy life.

60???

by right is 55 rah , last time PAP brag BIG BIG RETIRE BY 55 WITH YOUR CPF
[+] 1 user Likes [[ForeverAlone]]'s post

(26-12-2022, 11:20 AM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  60???

by right is 55 rah , last time PAP brag BIG BIG RETIRE BY 55 WITH YOUR CPF

I don't believe such news,  73 yrs can work, most probable as a taxi driver, security guard or cleaner / sweeper.  Software devt old farcks cannot keep up or understand huan Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

I seriously think the wife just big cannon. The husband 70s how to be a software engineer. The best IT skilled folks when our IT sector took off should now only be in their late 60s, and even then they should have been in senior management for several decades and not actively programming.

Nobody does software devt roles at such an advanced age. Want to bluff must also be bluff intelligently.

Don’t say 73 yo. If 70, you still need to work to survive, there’s absolutely something wrong with our system and policies. At this age he should be holidaying and playing with grandchildren. Of course if you are minister and got fat salary, you will never want to “retire”..... like one senior citizen minister. Almost 80 still work. Why not? Got million dollar salary, chauffeur driven, and during “office hours” can write book, no need to MTP sessions some more.

CHAOS & Cityhantam are 2 sick CCP mother-fcuker bastards, who support Islamic radical Simplemen, aka Imran, who has been belittling Chinese, juz because their mothers like farking Hamas dogs

(26-12-2022, 11:23 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  I don't believe such news,  73 yrs can work, most probable as a taxi driver, security guard or cleaner / sweeper.  Software devt old farcks cannot keep up or understand huan Big Grin

Come IT You got see age 70+ as CEO ?? Literally don't have UNLESS He is founder

Like my idol Elon Musk.

Talk about Bill Gates he already step down from Microsoft pass to someone younger.

Likewise Ma of Alibaba also

Even 60yrs and over if you chenghu minister just eye power and earn millions of dollars gao gao Big Grin

(26-12-2022, 11:39 AM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  Come IT You got see age 70+ as CEO ?? Literally don't have UNLESS He is founder

Like my idol Elon Musk.

Talk about Bill Gates he already step down from Microsoft pass to someone younger.

Likewise Ma of Alibaba also

The wife ish talk bird language only. Trying to impress the leeporter.

Casting aside the IT job of his hubby. At age 73 regardless of profession why should one still need to work in Spore? My late dad pass away before 70 and I think I will follow suit as inherited genes. I vow to retire at age 55 the age that was set by MIW when Spore gain independence until they keep increasing which to me is heartless want to work their citizens to early death
[+] 1 user Likes sgh's post