Anybody likes gardening?

We can exchange some ideas here  Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Blasterlord2's post

Any gardening job in a farm?

(01-08-2021, 09:26 PM)Sharexchange Wrote:  Any gardening job in a farm?
No leh. I do gardening for fun only  Big Grin

I don't have green fingers. Used to have indoor plants eg. snake plants and dracaena. Sadly they didn't last more than 2 years. Every time I watered, the leaves turned yellow. 

I had some plants at balcony and corridor too. eg. zamioculcas, rohdea, moeny plant, dragon tree. They didn't live long  Sad

(01-08-2021, 10:58 PM)TalkingRabbit Wrote:  I don't have green fingers. Used to have indoor plants eg. snake plants and dracaena. Sadly they didn't last more than 2 years. Every time I watered, the leaves turned yellow. 

I had some plants at balcony and corridor too. eg. zamioculcas, rohdea, moeny plant, dragon tree. They didn't live long  Sad

Different plants have different characteristics, and so need to handle them differently. When starting out, most of my plants also die but now much better.

Most importantly, people thought they must water their plants everyday but this is not the case. Most plants die from overwatering than underwatering. Also, must always check for insects. Mainly it's about handling pests, give them plenty of light, fertilizers and using the right kind of soil. Nothing too difficult actually. Of course, some plants still die on me, but they're a minority now.

(01-08-2021, 04:13 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  We can exchange some ideas here  Smile

my two girls are helping me to clear off some of the old stuff upstairs so that i could start a rooftop garden...
i am planning to cultivate a small variety of chillis and peppers...

(02-08-2021, 01:30 AM)PerceivedToBe Wrote:  my two girls are helping me to clear off some of the old stuff upstairs so that i could start a rooftop garden...
i am planning to cultivate a small variety of chillis and peppers...

Oh.. chillis and peppers are some of my favourites. I have about 10 of those and they're bearing fruits like crazy. Good job. Keep me updated on your progress  Smile

(02-08-2021, 01:53 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Oh.. chillis and peppers are some of my favourites. I have about 10 of those and they're bearing fruits like crazy. Good job. Keep me updated on your progress  Smile

i wanted to declutter the rooftop and place a few new planter boxes.
we've managed to get my girls' half-sister to visit our Chiang Mai home to harvest a handful of purple chilli padi from some of our shrubs and couriered to us...
i've also bought seeds of several other varieties from other countries to be shipped over. time to do some experimenting

Anyone went to hortpark? I like to go to other people's plots and see how their plants are doing.

Just 2 months ago I started Thai basil again. Now it's growing like crazy. I want to try Italian basil now, last time not successful.

(03-08-2021, 08:02 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Anyone went to hortpark? I like to go to other people's plots and see how their plants are doing.

Just 2 months ago I started Thai basil again. Now it's growing like crazy. I want to try Italian basil now, last time not successful.

Any pictures to share?

(04-08-2021, 10:10 PM)TalkingRabbit Wrote:  Any pictures to share?

I just trimmed it two days ago to promote growth. But here it is.

[Image: photo-2021-08-04-22-56-44.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Blasterlord2's post

This is one of my several harvests of chillis. I've already mixed them with my other chilli padis to make chilli paste.

[Image: photo-2021-08-04-23-05-08.jpg]

[Image: z7kRQyF.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes PerceivedToBe's post

Green Roses..  (Photos credit: PK)

[Image: B4-A3-B838-5908-4806-805-E-DE40-F8-EA1-F44.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes AuntyNice's post

I want to share my opinion on the planting of chilli plants. I started out with seeds but realised later on that this is not a good way. Reason is, many plants turned out to be barren, or just have have few fruits. It is better to grow from cuttings of plants that have already proven to be bountiful. I've successfully grown a number of such fruitful chilli plants.

My plants recently have some pest problems recently. The chilli plants have a small problem with mealy bugs and suspected broadmites. My curry plants also have aphid problems as I can see some ants carrying the aphids up. I'm monitoring them closely while spraying them more frequently with detergent water.

(07-08-2021, 08:23 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  My plants recently have some pest problems recently. The chilli plants have a small problem with mealy bugs and suspected broadmites. My curry plants also have aphid problems as I can see some ants carrying the aphids up. I'm monitoring them closely while spraying them more frequently with detergent water.

ya these pest and micro-organism simply put me off from having plants at home. 
I remember I bought a pot of hydrangea for CNY and put it indoor. I was quite disgusted to find spider mites crawling all over the plant a few days later. I sprayed on pesticides but it didn't help with the situation.

[Image: B80-B2-F7-B-CD16-461-C-80-F8-72-F7745-B2-A07.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes TalkingRabbit's post

(07-08-2021, 09:18 PM)TalkingRabbit Wrote:  ya these pest and micro-organism simply put me off from having plants at home. 
I remember I bought a pot of hydrangea for CNY and put it indoor. I was quite disgusted to find spider mites crawling all over the plant a few days later. I sprayed on pesticides but it didn't help with the situation.

I refrained from spraying pesticides as I'd like all my plants to be as organic as possible, since I brewed the curry and pandan leaves for tea regularly, and also I eat those chillis and cherry tomatoes that I grow.

I sprayed with sulphur water instead. But seems like I may have too high a dosage, as some of the leaves appeared burnt from the sulphur compound.

But no choice, pests are bound to appear from time to time.

I just took a good look at some of my plants and found that what I found to be mild infestations of mealy bugs may be more severe than I thought. I used plenty of alcohol cotton wipes to clean them off the plants.

I also just started growing another pot of Thai basil in case one dies on me.

Anyone growing coriander? Would like to hear your experience.

(06-09-2021, 12:04 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Anyone growing coriander? Would like to hear your experience.

Since nobody commented, I've decided to grow some myself to try. Today is the first day, will update on their growth.

(06-09-2021, 12:04 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Anyone growing coriander? Would like to hear your experience.

Those packet seeds will not sprout.

This dun taste good. Try Chinese parsley instead.

(12-09-2021, 07:12 PM)dynamite Wrote:  Those packet seeds will not sprout.

I'm growing Chinese parsley (aka as Coriander) and I didn't grow from seeds. I just plugged the root portion of a few stalks of Coriander into the soil. It's been quite a number of days and they didn't grow. I guess my attempt ended in a failure Sad

(12-09-2021, 07:12 PM)dynamite Wrote:  Those packet seeds will not sprout.

Any tips to share?

(12-09-2021, 09:32 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Any tips to share?

I also fail so far. I think the only way is to find someone with plants in the pot and get some to grow.
I tried seed and planting from bottom of those bought from supermarket. Both methods fail.
[+] 1 user Likes dynamite's post

[Image: IMAG5854.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes dynamite's post

(13-09-2021, 11:06 AM)dynamite Wrote:  [Image: IMAG5854.jpg]

You going to grow it or you just took a picture of it to show me? Would like to see your success story first :p

(13-09-2021, 12:45 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  You going to grow it or you just took a picture of it to show me? Would like to see your success story first :p

I try again. First few times after I plant the seeds, I get nothing.

(13-09-2021, 12:47 PM)dynamite Wrote:  I try again. First few times after I plant the seeds, I get nothing.

I read that you have to break apart the seeds first. Not sure if this is the way.