Cycling community raises safety concerns over drain gratings

(25-09-2022, 01:35 PM)icarus Wrote:  Absolutely. They should be licensed, insured & subjected to road rules just like other motorists. I think that's for everyone's safety including theirs.

I absolutely dun care about theirs when they dun care about their lives …. hope they get crushed by a lorry and their minced meat road kill get pick of by crows and rats

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

(25-09-2022, 01:33 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  another typical stupiak self entitled selfish Tour de France wanna be ….. speed and pace the bus to inconvenience other … later because of your stupidity … become road kill minced meat because of yourself game …. destroy a bus driver rice bowl, destroy his/her family when he need to go to jail ….. STill
I hope you become minced meat road kill soon  Clapping Fundance

Actually I had one encounter almost kenna tabao by a bus! Cool 

That when I rode and signal in front of a Transit bus from moving off when a school child crossed in front ... - That was  too close for the driver to see - That was when I noticed the danger. So basically one need common sense, experience and alertness when riding on the road. Basic 101 survival guide.

As for pacing buses, while that's an occasional risk I take to keep myself visible to other motorist...another basic sense while avoiding potholes and kerbs.

(25-09-2022, 01:40 PM)Manthink Wrote:  Actually I had one encounter almost kenna tabao by a bus! Cool 

That when I rode and signal in front of a Transit bus from moving off when a school child crossed in front ... - That was  too close for the driver to see - That was when I noticed the danger.    So basically one need  common sense, experience and alertness when riding on the road. Basic 101 survival guide.

As for pacing buses, while that's an occasional risk I take to keep myself visible to other motorist...another basic sense while avoiding potholes and kerbs.

When you climb a mountain enough, you will meet a tiger thus your end … have fun

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

(25-09-2022, 02:04 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  When you climb a mountain enough, you will meet a tiger thus your end … have fun

That's why the old saying 马路如虎口.. Never take safety for granted..even when you are having fun. Cool

Why they never look for transport minister?

🚴

Disc Tyre allows one to speed.

Most of the time, they prefer to take the road as they can speed faster. For some roads, we have a special lane for cyclists. For some, it is the park connectors.

Mountain bikes are slower because of the thick tyres. It is not a problem for them.
drain gratings

Good suggestion. Gov can have new stream of income, just ask those cyclists who use the road to go take a test, pay road tax, buy insurance. then with the fund can change all the drain cover Rotfl
[+] 1 user Likes wulala's post

(25-09-2022, 01:30 PM)Manthink Wrote:  I understand the unpleasant experience being surprised by a speeding cyclist coming up from behind..

I myself will ride on the road if I wanna speed or paced with a SBS bus...

And while  on shared walk ways, ALWAYS alert pedestrian when coming from behind and never never speed...

Correction:  ALWAYS alert pedestrians at least 2 bus lengths from behind AND also slow down to match the speed of walking to give them time to look behind (they have to look behind as pedestrians don't have rear mirrors), and make way for the BOSS of the footpath, and not when riding almost next to them...RING! RING!...and expecting them to jump out of the way in a split second.

Once an idiot rang his bell when riding past me.  I instinctively jug my elbow out and hit the side of his upper body to keep him and his weapon from crashing into me.  He lost his balance.  My fault?  I don't think so.  He alarmed me all of a sudden, and my reaction was an instinct of survival.  My brain had been wired to do this as a defensive mechanism, that between me getting hurt and the speeding cyclist getting a jab at his side, my choice is clear.

(25-09-2022, 10:34 AM)wendychan Wrote:  https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/c...n-gratings

Saw many along Woodlands Road around Sungei Kadut very dangerous leh!

(25-09-2022, 11:39 AM)Manthink Wrote:  I find it strange a cyclist club complaining about PUB's drainage cover when the fact such design has been around for decades.

Why not those cyclist on skinny tyres switch to wider  ones like those on the mountain bikes or stick to PCN ?

Sensible action for a simple solution...Now they want PUB to spend more taxpayer $ for their own benefit regardless of national priority?

Did anyone complain to the authority about getting wet in the bus stop when heavy rain? Do we need to widen the existing bus stop roof design?  Rotfl

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
[+] 1 user Likes RiseofAsia's post

Sg road is not designed for bicycle.
Ride at your own risk.
I got a friend’s parent fell down from the bicycle and became bedridden while riding on the road.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
[+] 1 user Likes RiseofAsia's post

Not all drainage cover is above design?

This design is more bicycle friendly.
[Image: B157317-C-CB5-B-4990-9-B89-94-C3461-EB10-A.jpg]

(26-09-2022, 12:14 AM)Oyk Wrote:  Correction:  ALWAYS alert pedestrians at least 2 bus lengths from behind AND also slow down to match the speed of walking to give them time to look behind (they have to look behind as pedestrians don't have rear mirrors), and make way for the BOSS of the footpath, and not when riding almost next to them...RING! RING!...and expecting them to jump out of the way in a split second. Once an idiot rang his bell when riding past me.  I instinctively jug my elbow out and hit the side of his upper body to keep him and his weapon from crashing into me.  He lost his balance.  My fault?  I don't think so.  He alarmed me all of a sudden, and my reaction was an instinct of survival.  My brain had been wired to do this as a defensive mechanism, that between me getting hurt and the speeding cyclist getting a jab at his side, my choice is clear.

Like I said, its all about common sense...point is avoid giving others unnecessary shocks when approaching from behind..Yes, pedestrians are supposed to be the King and Queen on walkways...even with shared paths and PCN.

If wanna ride fast like > 25kph, do it on the road.
[+] 1 user Likes Manthink's post

(26-09-2022, 06:27 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Did anyone complain to the authority about getting wet in the bus stop when heavy rain? Do we need to widen the existing bus stop roof design?  Rotfl

I guess that's also depend on physical restrictions at some bus stops. There are a few already hv stops with roof height for double-decks

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPR8pnuTWC_z4PlbRb9A7...w&usqp=CAU]

(26-09-2022, 06:41 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Not all drainage cover is above design?

This is the newer design ..Notice the fresh coat of cement around the frame?

LTA says they will gradually replaced w such bicycle safe gratings where the situation allows.

But that also means cost as these aren't cheap replacement works.

(26-09-2022, 06:28 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Sg road is not designed for bicycle.
Ride at your own risk.
I got a friend’s parent fell down from the bicycle and became bedridden while riding on the road.

Last time people used to ride bicycles because there were not many cars on the roads mah! Mostly kampong people riding bicycles lah! Big Grin

Actually, how many bicycles pay COE in the past 10 years?

Or if they buy 3rd party liability insurance?

If none, they have no say over the roads

They should Shut Up and be thankful to the vehicles

Stop being Ingrates

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(26-09-2022, 01:23 PM)Ola Wrote:  Actually, how many bicycles pay COE in the past 10 years?

Or if they buy 3rd party liability insurance?

If none, they have no say over the roads

They should Shut Up and be thankful to the vehicles

Stop being Ingrates

Why are bicycles on the road leh?

(26-09-2022, 06:27 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Did anyone complain to the authority about getting wet in the bus stop when heavy rain? Do we need to widen the existing bus stop roof design?  Rotfl

Tioh!!! LTA is the pits. Which department got too much money change the MRT top up machines to those mini types which few use because the screen and the card holder all too small . The long queue iz oways for the older bigger machines. Same with bus shelters. Waste so much resources to change perfectly functional ones to those that cause rainwater to back flow during heavy rains.
   [Image: 1650424516723.jpg][Image: c0473fd7862cac9c4ee381d837246bc9.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes luncheonmeat's post

(26-09-2022, 06:41 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Not all drainage cover is above design?

The drainage cover is designed this way for the cleaners to clean the drains mah! If too many leaves choked the drains will breed mosquitoes one mah!

(26-09-2022, 05:31 PM)luncheonmeat Wrote:  Tioh!!! LTA is the pits. Which department got too much money change the MRT top up machines to those mini types which few use because the screen and the card holder all too small . The long queue iz oways for the older bigger machines. Same with bus shelters. Waste so much resources to change perfectly functional ones to those that cause rainwater to back flow during heavy rains.
   [Image: c0473fd7862cac9c4ee381d837246bc9.jpg]

Can grannies with market trolley or mothers with prams

sue LTA, too??

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(26-09-2022, 11:06 AM)Manthink Wrote:  Like I said, its all about common sense...point is avoid giving others unnecessary shocks when approaching from behind..Yes, pedestrians are supposed to be the King and Queen on walkways...even with shared paths and PCN.

If wanna ride fast like > 25kph, do it on the road.

When I wrote "BOSS", I was referring to those cyclists (previously pmds as well).  I was being sarcastic.  These two wheelers ride as if they are the BOSS, and they ring only when they are almost next to the pedestrian, or just centimetres behind.

The ringing will give the pedestrian a fright.

Surely, one cannot expect the pedestrian to be able to react fast enough, to jump out of the way for the BOSS to pas through...right?  I don't think even a young person can react fast enough to the "RING", not to mentions small kids and the elderly.

It's not rocket science to figure that one should ring in advance, say from two bus lengths behind.  I don't understand why there are some people with a cow brain who don't know this, who think that ringing the bell next to the pedestrian is the correct "highway code" or rather "footpath code".