Fine for technician whose negligence delayed efforts to put out Bukit Batok fire

Osmond Chia
PUBLISHED SEP 16, 2022, 4:31 PM SGT

SINGAPORE - During a maintenance check in October 2019, a technician failed to ensure that a water pump could readily supply water to hose reels in case of a fire at a housing block in Bukit Batok.

His negligence led to a delay in the rescue effort after a blaze broke out within a month, on Nov 1, 2019, as no water could be dispensed from the reels.

Firefighters scrambled to use their own water jets instead. The incident led to the death of a resident, while two others were hospitalised.

During investigations, the technician, Malaiyappan Mayalagu, 51, sneaked into the pump room to reset the water pump to auto mode to hide his mistake.

On Friday, Malaiyappan, who is from India, was fined $2,700 after he pleaded guilty to endangering human life by a negligent act and tampering with evidence.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/c...batok-fire

Highly paid Govt are not 100% responsible. Cannot expect a lowly paid Technician in Town Council or HDB Technician to be 50% responsible either.

MP for BB should be sacked. Many potential problems were highlighted by CSJ a few years back, but no action

8Umbrella Umbrella
[+] 1 user Likes klat's post

There is no blame for people who design this system that depended on foreign workers to do safety checks

We are not even sure if the foreign workers is properly trained and understands the significance of the checks when it was assigned to him.

Does he have certificate to do safety inspections if not how it decided he is qualified?

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Sibeh jialat employing this kind of technicians. ... Angry

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

Wow Piang!
Dump all these important checks to foreigner.

Never expect someone who you dont even know to ensure your own safety.
Safety is individual responsibility.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

CECA has caused death.

Before: At your service; After: Serves you right!

Our high level of trust as said by LW will be quickly eroded with more of this type of workers running around the country...... Rolleyes

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

Didn't the fire caused someone death?

Taking upskirt is a more serious crime???

DPM Lawrence Loh should take action on these ce.ca so called “talent”

8Umbrella Umbrella
[+] 1 user Likes klat's post

someone died because of his incompetence and lies and yet he just paid only $2.7k to get himself free?
justifiable, i doubt so.

(17-09-2022, 09:52 AM)klat Wrote:  MP for BB should be sacked. Many potential problems were highlighted by CSJ a few years back, but no action

still vote me again 
what action to take ?
waste my time n efforts

Base on his pay,

it is just operational, and no responsibility needed

Should sack and fine his Manager and Director instead

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(17-09-2022, 10:22 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  There is no blame for people who design this system that depended on foreign workers to do safety checks

We are not even sure if the foreign workers is properly trained and understands the significance of the checks when it was assigned to him.

Does he have certificate to do safety inspections if not how it decided he is qualified?

It is not a case of "depending on the worker to do safety checks". It is a case of this worker turning the water system away from the Auto position for his convenience or his work. He is not supposed to do that but he did.

After occurrence of fire, he tried to cover his misuse and he sneaked back to put system to Auto position again to cover the evidence of his misuse.