I am going to DIY a desktop Computer with 12th Gen CPU and a Z690 board

Just ordered a 12th Gen 12600k CPU,
a pair of 2x8GB Corsair 3600MHz DDR4 Ram and
a 500GB Samsung 980 Pro SSD stick.
The rest of the items can still salvage from my 9 years old desktop computer.

Still headache which motherboard to buy?
Probably will buy this Gigabyte Z690 gaming board.

[Image: 1-C6-D5-D07-2-AAB-444-A-BBAB-63-AC4-C16-F781.jpg]

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

I find nowadays not many ppl doing DIY desktop computer unlike in the 90s… Sim Lim Square was one of the best places to spend my time when I was still a Young boy.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

Nice to hear that not many using desktop nowadays most using laptops

(16-12-2021, 01:27 PM)Cmpunk Wrote:  Nice to hear that not many using desktop nowadays most using laptops

Laptop a lot of problem, easy to spoilt.
A lot of cut corner work.
Do you know why laptop did not do waterproofing?

Some branded motherboard I don’t say which brand, the holes on the PCB motherboard did not even do waterproofing at all. Once water seeps into the motherboard, you can change the whole motherboard.

What's your planned budget and where do you buy the parts?

(16-12-2021, 01:22 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Just ordered a 12th Gen 12600k CPU,

I am rather out of touch with computer DIY nowadays. Just wondering, no need graphics card for gaming? I doubt you are going to use the one in your 9-year-old desktop.
[+] 1 user Likes Levin's post

(16-12-2021, 01:37 PM)Levin Wrote:  I am rather out of touch with computer DIY nowadays. Just wondering, no need graphics card for gaming? I doubt you are going to use the one in your 9-year-old desktop.

Latest 12th Gen CPU with intel UHD 770 IGPU. Actually no need dedicated GPU to play game.

Provided you want to play game with VR or you want a high frame rate gaming experience. Then you need at least a GeForce Nvidia 1650 Super graphic card.

I got do a bit of upgrade b4 in my 9 years old desktop. Some of the parts can still use.

did u check if the motherboard can use the 2x8gb ddr4

my asus motherboard seem like can only use a certain type of ddr3

(16-12-2021, 01:44 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Latest 12th Gen CPU with intel UHD 770 IGPU. Actually no need dedicated GPU to play game.

Provided you want to play game with VR or you want a high frame rate gaming experience. Then you need at least a GeForce Nvidia 1650 Super graphic card.

I got do a bit of upgrade b4 in my 9 years old desktop. Some of the parts can still use.

U need a gaming card la...unless u r playing unexciting game.

U also need some great cooling and lights otherwise u r just building a nerd's cpu.

U can use youtube as a diy guide...too bad i was born too early...otherwise i can build one of these :

https://youtu.be/sLWXvNbJMpw

i remember taking the motherboard manual to sim lim square to confirm the compatible parts i'm buying when I DYI LOL
[+] 1 user Likes hero's post

(16-12-2021, 01:47 PM)singaporean1964 Wrote:  did u check if the motherboard can use the 2x8gb ddr4

my asus motherboard seem like can only use a certain type of ddr3

I bought atas Corsair DDR4 Ram with RGB display hor . If gives me problem, I will KPKB them. I am going to overclock the ram to 4000Mhz. Hehe…

You can try to do Bios Upgrade/Reset if your DDR3 cannot use or set your Bios to legacy mode not UEFI mode.

My new desktop CPU… Rotfl

[Image: 66-F63913-9358-431-A-A621-E17685185217.jpg]

Nowadays not many people DIY, as custom models at Lenovo or even Aftershock are pretty cost competitive. Not much savings to build it yourself.

(16-12-2021, 07:35 PM)starbugs Wrote:  Nowadays not many people DIY, as custom models at Lenovo or even Aftershock are pretty cost competitive. Not much savings to build it yourself.

Not true.

(16-12-2021, 07:35 PM)starbugs Wrote:  Nowadays not many people DIY, as custom models at Lenovo or even Aftershock are pretty cost competitive. Not much savings to build it yourself.

Not true. Prebuilt really jialat one.
Even for the brand you have mentioned, a lot of cut corner work can be found in the Desktop PC. Below clip is a typical example.

https://youtu.be/5CeL5Syx3Co

[+] 1 user Likes RiseofAsia's post

https://youtu.be/-8IVt-S6SMU

https://youtu.be/K2Lz4dXgx8I

omg for a split second, I forgot how a desktop computer looks like. jialat...memory is getting bad  Rolleyes

(16-12-2021, 09:02 PM)TalkingRabbit Wrote:  omg for a split second, I forgot how a desktop computer looks like. jialat...memory is getting bad  Rolleyes

Watch this clip. You can dump your laptop…
This is called Desktop PC.

https://youtu.be/JU5Dqg6uVvg

(16-12-2021, 01:22 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Just ordered a 12th Gen 12600k CPU,

[Image: 1-C6-D5-D07-2-AAB-444-A-BBAB-63-AC4-C16-F781.jpg]

what can you salvage from a 9yo PC ?

don't tell me the PSU ??.............the casing ?

go for 32GB RAM lah.............the PC already so good...........

Moi no space for desktop 😔

There is no right or wrong decisions. 
One only has to bear the consequences that one makes  Big Grin

(16-12-2021, 09:15 PM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  what can you salvage from a 9yo PC ?

don't tell me the PSU ??.............the casing ?

go for 32GB RAM lah.............the PC already so good...........

SSD, WIFI card, USB hub card, Keyboard, mouse. Still can use. I got do upgrade before. My old desktop is a I7-2600 CPU chip.
The motherboard still supports DDR3 ram but the PCIe bus is only PCIe-2 nia.

(16-12-2021, 09:14 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Watch this clip. You can dump your laptop…
This is called Desktop PC.

https://youtu.be/JU5Dqg6uVvg

No desktop PC for me...I don't have space, like Galileo. I stick with my lappies. I have 3 which are powered on 24 hours in the living room  Blush

My New SSD… Big Grin

[Image: 91-B39-E5-F-C482-4-C1-A-A12-C-4930-E8-D549-F9.jpg]

I have ordered another Gigabyte Z690 board.
Luckily, I checked a YouTube video, the big metal covering the Gigabyte Gaming x motherboard is hiding 3x M2 slots and it is without the PCIe x1 slot. Very strange design.  Rotfl
Some gamers actually use Ethernet port to play games.

I don’t like USB wifi stick, the connection sometimes is koyak. I prefer to use wifi card. It is more stable.

[Image: ACE4-DFFA-626-B-4-FE5-A94-F-DC0-C7-BF15324.png]

Shouldnt you be using DDR5 instead of DDR4 board?

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(16-12-2021, 07:32 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  My new desktop CPU… Rotfl

[Image: 66-F63913-9358-431-A-A621-E17685185217.jpg]

Nowadays Intel C/P ratio is the lowest, why dont you pick Ryzen? 

(17-12-2021, 07:52 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Shouldnt you be using DDR5 instead of DDR4 board?

Clock speed high doesn’t mean the performance will definitely improve a lot or got any improvement on the performance. Later, I see whether I can find the video to show you.