I took grab and the driver was deaf - this is what happened...

I visited my elderly aunt this afternoon for lunch after that we planned to visit another uncles place. Although he stayed nearby there were 3 elderly, myself and 2 cousins who had to go there. As the floor was slippery due the the rain, I was worried for the old folks so instead of  walking all the way to the bus stop I decided to get a Grab Car.

Yes on Chinese New Year it is indeed expensive to get a grab and even if you are willing to pay most drivers will be off and you may not be able to get a ride. $30 for a 4 km ride on a 6 seater.

I was pleasantly surprised when Grab managed to find me  a ride within 5 minutes.

After that this message came in:

[Image: V4VCSAB.jpg]I was not  worried about his driving skills but more concerned about how I should communicate with him.

When the car came and the driver diligently helped the 3 elderly to get up the car.  He went on to drive smooth to our destination. As we approached the drop-off, a car stopped in front of us to let some people off.  The Grab driver had to drive pass that car on the right side. As he was doing so 
, the passenger in the car suddenly swung open the door without checking for oncoming traffic. Our driver jammed the brake to avoid an accident. Goodness it was such a close shave. 

When we got off I wanted to thank him but remembered he  was deaf and cant read my lips with my mask on. So gave him the thumbs up ...

Thumbsup  Thumbsup

My mom took out ang pow from her bag and gave to him.

I went to the app and rated him 5 stars.....Best Grab driver ever!

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 3 users Like sgbuffett's post

So now you know why cars are needed, and cannot be replaced by bikes

Not easy being deaf and drive cos he wont be able to hear other car drivers honking at him,

Laughing

(22-01-2023, 03:33 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  So now you know why cars are needed, and cannot be replaced by bikes

I have never doubted cars are sometimes needed but many are using it when the need is not so strong.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

You are risking the lives of the ones around you. He can't even hear warning signal like a horn. I would have cancel the trip! Being sympathetic is one thing, risking death is another.

(22-01-2023, 03:29 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  My mom took out ang pow from her bag and gave to him.

you are a genius and have heart of gold.

(22-01-2023, 03:46 PM)forum456 Wrote:  you are a genius and have heart of gold.

The deaf driver was Chinese and driving on CNY day.

(22-01-2023, 03:35 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I have never doubted cars are sometimes needed but many are using it when the need is not so strong.
So how you grade what need is strong and what need is not so strong? ...... Thinking

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

(22-01-2023, 03:50 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  The deaf driver was Chinese and driving on CNY day.

when you live in the most expensive city in the world like Singapore , it make more sense for the poor to work than celebrate CNY.

By Right " deaf better don't drive " as One here mention is not about " Being sympathetic is one thing, risking death is another. "

just like those driver go Drinking yet wanna drink than harm innocent people...
[+] 1 user Likes [[ForeverAlone]]'s post

Its very dangerous to let a deaf drive and those in their 80s to drive.
Dun know why the gov allows that

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

(22-01-2023, 04:06 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  By Right " deaf better don't drive " as One here mention is not about " Being sympathetic is one thing, risking death is another. "

just like those driver go Drinking yet wanna drink than harm innocent people...

The modern car has all sorts of sensors and visual alerts.

If driver is blind then I agree with you that safety is compromised.

(22-01-2023, 03:35 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I have never doubted cars are sometimes needed but many are using it when the need is not so strong.

I think to ferry elderly and disabled and very young is a need. How to determine elderly disabled and very young is subject to each reader interpretation

(22-01-2023, 04:09 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  The modern car has all sorts of sensors and visual alerts.

Because the distance is near and you got off safely you can say that safety is not compromised. Try a long distance during peak hours with a deaf driver.

Those who have misconceptions about deaf drivers don't know study after study shows they are the safest drivers ....plse  correct your flawed thinking

[Image: HjjFVRh.jpg]

(22-01-2023, 04:26 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Those who have misconceptions about deaf drivers don't know study after study shows they are the safest drivers ....plse  correct your flawed thinking

you are genius !

(22-01-2023, 04:24 PM)pinkpanther Wrote:  Because the distance is near and you got off safely you can say that safety is not compromised. Try a long distance during peak hours with a deaf driver.

The people who never took a ride with a deaf driver are ones jumping into conclusion that safety is compromised.

(22-01-2023, 03:29 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I visited my elderly aunt this afternoon for lunch after that we planned to visit another uncles place. Although he stayed nearby there were 3 elderly, myself and 2 cousins who had to go there. As the floor was slippery due the the rain, I was worried for the old folks so instead of  walking all the way to the bus stop I decided to get a Grab Car.

Yes on Chinese New Year it is indeed expensive to get a grab and even if you are willing to pay most drivers will be off and you may not be able to get a ride. $30 for a 4 km ride on a 6 seater.

I was pleasantly surprised when Grab managed to find me  a ride within 5 minutes.

After that this message came in:

[Image: V4VCSAB.jpg]I was not  worried about his driving skills but more concerned about how I should communicate with him.

When the car came and the driver diligently helped the 3 elderly to get up the car.  He went on to drive smooth to our destination. As we approached the drop-off, a car stopped in front of us to let some people off.  The Grab driver had to drive pass that car on the right side. As he was doing so 
, the passenger in the car suddenly swung open the door without checking for oncoming traffic. Our driver jammed the brake to avoid an accident. Goodness it was such a close shave. 

When we got off I wanted to thank him but remembered he  was deaf and cant read my lips with my mask on. So gave him the thumbs up ...

Thumbsup  Thumbsup

My mom took out ang pow from her bag and gave to him.

Very dangerous to drive when deaf leh! Confused Cannot hear other vehicles horning leh!

sgbuffettThose who have misconceptions about deaf drivers don't know study after study shows they are the safest drivers ....plse  correct your flawed thinking

\[Image: HjjFVRh.jpg]

You are not in any position to state people like me feel that deaf people should not drive is flawed. Yours is your own opinion and mine in my own. If you said I am flawed, then I am allowed to state that you are flawed too.

it is not safe

full stop
[+] 1 user Likes Talent's post

(22-01-2023, 04:32 PM)Talent Wrote:  it is not safe

full stop

Next time blind man also lah! Big Grin

Imagine, a deaf driver making a wrong turn or some one horning him to warn him and he/she has absolutely no idea.
I will not take any vehicle driven by deaf because, I will have a problem communicating with them while on the ride.

(22-01-2023, 04:34 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  Imagine, a deaf driver making a wrong turn or some one horning him to warn him and he/she has absolutely no idea.
I will not take any vehicle driven by deaf because, I will have a problem communicating with them while on the ride.

Take a risk lah! Big Grin

(22-01-2023, 04:09 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  The modern car has all sorts of sensors and visual alerts.

These sensors are to assist. My car lane assist will sound an alarm to warn me. I ask a driver is eye is on the road or visible alert.

(22-01-2023, 04:31 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  The people who never took a ride with a deaf driver are ones jumping into conclusion that safety is compromised.

If you are not using your eyes and ears together on the road, safety is always compromised!

(22-01-2023, 04:32 PM)cheekopekman Wrote:  Very dangerous to drive when deaf leh! Confused Cannot hear other vehicles horning leh!

If you kena horned at from behind you'll sure know lah, regardless of whether you can hear or not

But being sympathetic toward the deaf driver is one thing, safety on the road is another. he won't be able to hear other drivers honking at him, police and ambulance sirens too

If you cannot hear road conditions from the radio, how are you going to drive your passengers safely and on time to their destinations?

(22-01-2023, 04:34 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  Imagine, a deaf driver making a wrong turn or some one horning him to warn him and he/she has absolutely no idea.

Safety is not just one turn or one situation.

As deaf drivers are less distracted and more focused they are safest in drivers it is riskier to take non deaf drivers

[Image: 7mQnCdh.jpg]

(22-01-2023, 04:49 PM)pinkpanther Wrote:  If you are not using your eyes and ears together on the road, safety is always compromised!

It is dangerous for the driver and pedestrian if eyes and ears are not used......... crying

Colour blind worse when comes to traffic lights

Do not talk to a fool for he will scorn  the wisdom of your words 
☝️