Lunar New Year or Chinese New Year? Display in NTU gets vandalised

[Image: FDD9-EA56-7091-4-C3-F-9429-2-D78195-AF7-B4.jpg]

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

From LKY memoirs. Nantah standards ess falling so badly MPs who were graduates of Nantah beg LKY to do something before it hit rock bottom

[Image: sUGGGHl.jpg]

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

PM Lee official statement and well wishes in the Year of the (Water) Rabbit which he ended in his English-language version...
"I wish all Singaporeans good health, and a very happy Chinese New Year."
Clapping   

2023 年李显龙总理新春献词
https://www.pmo.gov.sg/Newsroom/Chinese-...sien-Loong

(23-01-2023, 09:41 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Below is a speech by LKY on 10 Feb1978:
Nanyang University’s fatal error in adjusting to this drop in students was to lower standards in order to keep up the size of the student population. It became so bad that for Malay Studies, students who had been rejected by University of Singapore....

I am curious if you even bother to read LKY's entire speech!

Lee shared his 3 conclusions observing how Nanyang U students struggled with the English-language. He ended with optimism how Chinese-educated can adapt and excel even in the most difficult environment...Perhaps you forget many of our early days Pioneers are Hokkien-speaking elites who were one of the champion to remove British colonialsim.

Here is the full script of the 1978 speech from Gov archive
https://www.nas.gov.sg/archivesonline/da...80210a.pdf

REASON FOR OPTIMISM

Despite all the difficulties of converting from Chinese to English as the language of instruction and examinations, the results in University of Singapore,
Polytechnic and Ngee Ann show that there are few or no failures because they have come from the Chinese stream.

I believe this is because the students admitted to University of Singapore, Polytechnic and Ngee Ann are those with ability, and higher scores in ‘A’ and ‘O’ level examinations. In other words, they are the abler students, who are also able to master the second language, English, despite initial difficulties

Interestingly, LKY knew the Chinese-educated had far more collective drive, more socially conscious  and passions than their English-educated counter part. And he understood the danger of loosing this "Nantah Spirit". In fact,  Lee openly admire the Chinese-educated and wanted to preserve such drive, that is in his own words "lacking" in the English-educated.

So what did LKY do in 1979 ? He decided to setup SAP schools to protect the core of Chinese-educated values and started Speak Mandarin Campaign.   He shared this publicly a few years before his passing in 2015.

[Image: Screenshot-20230123-232436-Chrome.jpg]

Use Chinese New Year.

"Lunar New Year" is a vector of attack against Chinese soft influence, newly perpetuated by the west

[Image: B70853-A8-5157-4-A5-C-AE74-A9-F015-F683-A1.jpg]

(23-01-2023, 09:24 AM)K88 shu shu Wrote:  white cat or black cat, as long as able to catch rat is a good cat.

Lunar or Chinese new yr make no different.

Your logic is not correct.
This is not cat problem.
They call rat as hamster
You think Okay?

Got different. We call it CNY, we dont call it LNY lah. Rotfl
没文化,真可怕!
是华人农历新年
或华人新年
不是农历新年。

NTU shd apologise for the mistake.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

Even our own Chinese newspaper also makes the same mistake. Rotfl
Sometimes, I don’t like to read our Chinese newspapers, can see some 白字。
Chinese standard getting lower.

https://www.zaobao.com.sg/news/singapore...25-1356162

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(23-01-2023, 09:57 AM)cityhantam Wrote:  In Sg, there is no "Lunar Tribe" to celebrate New Year.

75% of Chinese Singaporeans are celebrating Chinese New Year!

Were you the vandal? Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(26-01-2023, 07:16 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  Were you the vandal? Big Grin

I don't do silly things!  Tongue nudie Laughter-144 Fundance

Why the Chinese characters are  removed from the canteen.? I am more concerned about this. So if sg is ruled by ah neh ( ah neh pm), chances are all chinese characters will be removed from shops and streets.
[+] 1 user Likes Bigbluedot's post

Knn, Media cok!

农历 is not Lunar hor!

Lunar calendar is 阴历!
[+] 1 user Likes cityhantam's post

(26-01-2023, 12:15 PM)Bigbluedot Wrote:  Why the Chinese characters are  removed from the canteen.? I am more concerned about this. So if sg is ruled by ah neh ( ah neh pm), chances are all chinese characters will be removed from shops and streets.

Thats why i always say some invisible forces in SG are keep on smearing everything from China, they are paving the way for an Indian PM in the near future

(23-01-2023, 08:32 AM)CHAOS Wrote:  https://stomp.straitstimes.com/singapore...ome-august

WEE CHOR YEW N OTHER CHINESE LEADERS WILL BE V V VSAD WHEN THIS HAPPENS
[+] 1 user Likes talky's post

(26-01-2023, 12:23 PM)CHAOS Wrote:  Thats why i always say some invisible forces in SG are keep on smearing everything from China, they are paving the way for an Indian PM in the near future

I hope this does not happen here................ Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes debono's post

When in sinkie land, follow sinkie way of calling. Be it Chinese new year or Deepavali.

Not happy, good back to their homeland.

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..
[+] 1 user Likes ArielCasper's post

(26-01-2023, 01:36 PM)ArielCasper Wrote:  When in sinkie land, follow sinkie way of calling. Be it Chinese new year or Deepavali.

No happy, good back to their homeland.

It has been called "Chinese New Year" for centuries!

Nobody has the right to deprive us of our Chinese New Year!

(26-01-2023, 01:41 PM)cityhantam Wrote:  It has been called "Chinese New Year" for centuries!

Nobody has the right to deprive us of our Chinese New Year!

There are many reasons why we should call it Chinese New Year as opposed to Lunar New Year.................. Clapping
[+] 1 user Likes debono's post

Same thing. In Korea of have been calling it lunar new year for the longest time, no one should be asking them to change to Chinese new year.

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..
[+] 1 user Likes ArielCasper's post

(26-01-2023, 01:50 PM)ArielCasper Wrote:  Same thing. If Korea have been calling it lunar  new year for the longest time, no one should be asking them to change to Chinese new year.

They can continue with whatever they chose to call. 

But in Sg we are celebrating Chinese New Year!

They have no right to deprive us of our Chinese New Year! 

There is no Lunar Tribe celebrating New year here!  Laughing