Now is like daily Jam at Causeway

Causeway got peak n off peak hours
Where got jam whole day

Do not talk to a fool for he will scorn  the wisdom of your words 
☝️

(29-09-2022, 04:41 PM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  Causeway got peak n off peak hours
Where got jam whole day

When the tread starter titled this thread ‘Now is like daily Jam at Causeway,’ he probably means that traffic jams on the causeway have become an everyday occurrence, but of course there’ll be rush hour bottlenecks as well as smooth-flowing traffic during off-peak hours.

Being caught in a lengthy traffic tailback on the causeway is no joke, if you don’t have the patience to wait in line for hours just to clear customs.

I once took 4 hellish hours to go through the JB checkpoint but only 20 minutes to clear SG custom on the way home to SG. I was silently fuming at the traffic snarl on the road leading to the Sultan Iskandar CIQ Complex, and tearing my hair out in frustrated rage as traffic crawled along inch by inch.

Since the pandemic started, I’ve been to Boleh land just once, and that was on the 9th of August this year (National Day) when I went to Maybank in JB City Square to do some banking transactions. This time I didn’t travel by car because of the expected heavy traffic. I rode my motorbike instead, and it was almost a breeze through the customs on the way there and on the return trip. What’s more, I did some shopping in addition and had a lavish feast with some buddies at noontime. I thanked my lucky stars for the smooth excursion that day.
[+] 2 users Like S I M T A N's post

(29-09-2022, 01:24 AM)Oyk Wrote:  He mentioned angmoh, and you right away mentioned expats.

I guess, when you see an angmoh, you think "expat" in your mind.  There is a hint of Pinkerton's Syndrome in you.

Are you aware that the word expats basically refer to ALL foreigners working in Singapore?  Which means that a cook from Malaysia, waitress from China, road worker from India, nursing home staff from the Philippines, domestic helper from Myanmar are - ALL OF THEM - expats.

Expatriates by definition are people living in a foreign country, be they professionals, expatriate workers or blue-collar workers. Somehow many S’poreans tend to associate expats with professionals holding down plum jobs. Work permit holders and low-paid menials are not considered to be expats by virtue of their lowly status.

(30-09-2022, 03:03 AM)S I M T A N Wrote:  Expatriates by definition are people living in a foreign country, be they professionals, expatriate workers or blue-collar workers. Somehow many S’poreans tend to associate expats with professionals holding down plum jobs. Work permit holders and low-paid menials are not considered to be expats by virtue of their lowly status.

There was a time when we carried our babies in our arms everywhere we went outside because we were poor and buying a pram was considered extravagant.  In those days, only Caucasian women were seen using a pram which had, of course, an ang moh baby or toddler in it, who was usually well attired.

These people came to be known as "expats"  Singaporean women like to speak like them, spending hours and hours practising their fake accent.  Singaporean men kowtowed to them.

Singaporeans are not the only people who have the Pinkerton's Syndrome.  The Chinese and Indians also *worship* ang mohs.  I had seen this happening more times in China than I can remember...

(30-09-2022, 02:58 AM)S I M T A N Wrote:  When the tread starter titled this thread ‘Now is like daily Jam at Causeway,’ he probably means that traffic jams on the causeway have become an everyday occurrence, but of course there’ll be rush hour bottlenecks as well as smooth-flowing traffic during off-peak hours.

Being caught in a lengthy traffic tailback on the causeway is no joke, if you don’t have the patience to wait in line for hours just to clear customs.

I once took 4 hellish hours to go through the JB checkpoint but only 20 minutes to clear SG custom on the way home to SG. I was silently fuming at the traffic snarl on the road leading to the Sultan Iskandar CIQ Complex, and tearing my hair out in frustrated rage as traffic crawled along inch by inch.

Since the pandemic started, I’ve been to Boleh land just once, and that was on the 9th of August this year (National Day) when I went to Maybank in JB City Square to do some banking transactions. This time I didn’t travel by car because of the expected heavy traffic. I rode my motorbike instead, and it was almost a breeze through the customs on the way there and on the return trip. What’s more, I did some shopping in addition and had a lavish feast with some buddies at noontime. I thanked my lucky stars for the smooth excursion that day.

Wow your English ish so good really bor beh chao.  
Is it due to good skools you attend? We all no speak no write like your standard sial.

Where go learn and write satki english lei? 

Kum sia gao gao Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

if timing ish right, you can drive from yr house straight to both checkpoints without any jam.

(03-10-2022, 08:10 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  if timing ish right, you can drive from yr house straight to both checkpoints without any jam.

Yeah, timing is everything. But how to time a smooth journey across arguably the world’s busiest SG-Johor border crossing when huge traffic buildups have become a frequent occurrence and traffic conditions are hard to predict?

Checking out live traffic conditions helps, but sometimes live traffic cameras showing a smooth flow of traffic may not give a full picture of what’s going on. Once I got a glimpse of traffic images showing light traffic on the Tuas Second Link. I called a traffic hotline to double-check and a recorded message announced “smooth traffic.”

I then set off for Tuas, and sure enough, I had a pretty smooth ride past the SG checkpoint. My joy was short-lived, however, when I was greeted by a massive traffic snarl-up at the M’sian immigration control that backed up to almost the halfway point of the causeway.

It took me over an hour and a half to clear customs. There was nothing I could do except cursed my bad luck. Border crossings can be chancy as fear of heavy build-ups of traffic loom large in the minds of many motorists.

(03-10-2022, 07:07 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  Wow your English ish so good really bor beh chao.  
Is it due to good skools you attend? We all no speak no write like your standard sial.

Where go learn and write satki english lei? 

Kum sia gao gao Big Grin

I suppose I did write properly, but I would be silly to get a big head about it. I know myself, and know I fall far short of Queens English or journalistic standards. I always endeavour to be as clear and concise as possible and eventually become a good prose writer - but in danger of becoming the odd one out in an informal forum.

Don’t be so modest, brother. I know you are capable of lapsing into the local vernacular and street slang as well as writing in very clear prose. I have read some of your well-constructed posts.
[+] 1 user Likes S I M T A N's post

(04-10-2022, 03:00 AM)S I M T A N Wrote:  I suppose I did write properly, but I would be silly to get a big head about it. I know myself, and know I fall far short of Queens English or journalistic standards. I always endeavour to be as clear and concise as possible and eventually become a good prose writer - but in danger of becoming the odd one out in an informal forum.

Don’t be so modest, brother. I know you are capable of lapsing into the local vernacular and street slang as well as writing in very clear prose. I have read some of your well-constructed posts.

Bro Simtan aka BJ being his usual modest self Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

tian kor's writing got style and substance, whereas flower goat's not inly long-winded but aso gibberish. very contrasting