Retrenched in Singapore? Know your rights

CNA Explains: Retrenched in Singapore? Know your rights

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...112022_cna

So how do Singapore's labour protections compare with other countries?

Singapore's protections for retrenched workers are not as robust as other jurisdictions, employment lawyers told CNA.

"We still have the right to terminate employment on contractual notice. Most jurisdictions across Asia either have a higher threshold for proving a redundancy or have a mandatory redundancy payment scheme," said Ms Jumabhoy.

Jurisdictions such as China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam have mandatory redundancy payments, she noted.

In South Korea, employers need to show "urgent business necessity" to prove a redundancy, and the courts will inspect the company's accounts and financial position to verify this, said Ms Jumabhoy.

"Japan doesn't have mandatory severance, but proving redundancy is exceptionally difficult and the courts are perceived to be very employee-friendly when a challenge is raised. In practice, therefore, redundancy payments are routinely made," she added.

Hong Kong also affords stronger protections than Singapore, said Mr Ding, as the law there requires employers to provide retrenched employees with statutory severance pay, with a formula for calculating the amount.
[+] 1 user Likes forum456's post

If kena retrenched it means u no good right?

The Employment Act states that if you’ve been employed for at least two years, you are eligible for retrenchment benefits. However, the Act does not state that you must be compensated.

In other words, if you have worked for the company for over two years and have a fixed retrenchment package stipulated in your contract (or the union’s collective agreement with the company), then yes, the employer must pay you the agreed benefit.

----------------------------------------------------------

PAP never fight for workers to have Monetary Retrenchment Benefits

Such a big group of Unionist under Ng CM for what?

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 1 user Likes Ola's post

(27-11-2022, 10:16 AM)Ola Wrote:  The Employment Act states that if you’ve been employed for at least two years, you are eligible for retrenchment benefits. However, the Act does not state that you must be compensated.

In other words, if you have worked for the company for over two years and have a fixed retrenchment package stipulated in your contract (or the union’s collective agreement with the company), then yes, the employer must pay you the agreed benefit.

----------------------------------------------------------

PAP never fight for workers to have Monetary Retrenchment Benefits

Such a big group of Unionist under Ng CM for what?

within 1 years then employer can start retrench local and recruit  FT ..

(27-11-2022, 09:58 AM)Notdumb Wrote:  If kena retrenched it means u no good right?

It means the hiring manager no good.
[+] 1 user Likes winbig's post

(27-11-2022, 11:00 AM)winbig Wrote:  It means the hiring manager no good.

No ah...he realised he got in useless workers wat. Rotfl

Asking u all prepare first. Test gallon liao
[+] 1 user Likes sogo's post

This is very tricky in Spore. A lot of times employer play the game of not being label as a retrenchment exercise especially if the numbers are small. Those make their news on news media cannot escape but what about so many others employers who also let go employee but manage to escape?

In my entire 20+ years working career I kena once and it is not called retrenchment. Instead the official reason given is company restructuring making some position redundant. I can of cuz go MOM and seek my grievances but I did not as I just want to encash the cheque and faster look for next job. In Spore, ding dong such waste a lot of time. Those time can be better spent look for next job. But that was when I am in my early 30's. Now closing 50 I cannot use the same strategy becuz to secure the next job will not be as fast so maybe I will go MOM seek assistance if I kena again.
[+] 1 user Likes sgh's post

Those who believe those rights work mean he or she never really work in before ….. there are 1001 ways to fugg you  Laughing

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

read the whole passage, I  now KNOW sinkies has NOT much rights
[+] 1 user Likes limpeh394's post

(27-11-2022, 04:06 PM)limpeh394 Wrote:  read the whole passage, I  now KNOW sinkies has NOT much rights

When you work for people, what rights you want. People gives you $$ to work, not happy can just quit.

(27-11-2022, 03:56 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  Those who believe those rights work mean he or she never really work in before ….. there are 1001 ways to fugg you  Laughing

My work life only about 1.5 yrs....my boss was super worry I would resign....even though theres more than 100 staff in the company. So why would people get retrench?

(27-11-2022, 04:14 PM)Notdumb Wrote:  My work life only about 1.5 yrs....my boss was super worry I would resign....even though theres more than 100 staff in the company. So why would people get retrench?

I guess he worried for only 1.5yrs  Laughing

[+] 1 user Likes Tangsen's post

(27-11-2022, 04:17 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  I guess he worried for only 1.5yrs  Laughing

I was collecting $50,000 pm in audit fees for him. My salary $550 pm. Nobody can break my record!

(27-11-2022, 04:21 PM)Notdumb Wrote:  I was collecting $50,000 pm in audit fees for him. My salary $550 pm. Nobody can break my record!

Until he found a cheaper better faster …..  Big Grin

(27-11-2022, 04:23 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  Until he found a cheaper better faster …..  Big Grin

Impossible cos all managers are paid over $2500pm...me fake manager only $550. Rotfl

(27-11-2022, 09:58 AM)Notdumb Wrote:  If kena retrenched it means u no good right?

retrenchment is good...................Woody Goh say one mah...................

(27-11-2022, 04:26 PM)Notdumb Wrote:  Impossible cos all managers are paid over $2500pm...me fake manager only $550. Rotfl

Waiting for people to reduce $100 to fight with you 😁😁😉

Already thousands of Singaporeans kena retrenched for decades

Most got some kind of retrenchment benefits from 1 week for every work year upto 1 month per work year if they are lucky enough to get a reasonable boss 

But many many kena fired instead of retrenched and reasons can be created to the advantage of the unscrupulous employer

For example lazy, fail to deliver, pregnant or simply no reason at all 

It is just too bad

Japan must give 6 mths or 1 year retrenchment notice

where in that period, those affected employees can attend many courses

to move over to the Future Job

That is call really helping and not Wayang like MOM

Sack Shoot Blank Queen & Head Damage Tan, lah.

[+] 1 user Likes Ola's post

(27-11-2022, 04:26 PM)Notdumb Wrote:  Impossible cos all managers are paid over $2500pm...me fake manager only $550. Rotfl

What kind of company is that … managers only $2.5k …. my interns already 2k. NSF already $550.

(27-11-2022, 07:09 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  What kind of company is that … managers only $2.5k …. my interns already 2k. NSF already $550.

That's 35yrs ago. During the biggest recession. 1985. It's my first job after 7 yrs in Army. I just wanted to learn. Starting pay was $500 but promoted to Audit manager within 2 weeks.

Why fake manager....cos I no degree! Told boss I don't want post....he say I can't work as clerk as no manager want to train me....and I'm much better than most managers.

Actually I learn a lot in Auditing....saw many trade secrets which help me in setting up my own company with Zero experience.

Here's 1 secret....diamond shop markup is about 1,000%....how many will believe?

(27-11-2022, 07:52 PM)Notdumb Wrote:  That's 35yrs ago. During the biggest recession. 1985. It's my first job after 7 yrs in Army. I just wanted to learn. Starting pay was $500 but promoted to Audit manager within 2 weeks.

Why fake manager....cos I no degree! Told boss I don't want post....he say I can't work as clerk as no manager want to train me....and I'm much better than most managers.

Actually I learn a lot in Auditing....saw many trade secrets which help me in setting up my own company with Zero experience.

Here's 1 secret....diamond shop markup is about 1,000%....how many will believe?

Still $550 …. in 1985 still fugging low

Australia :
12 mths of service- Entitled to redundancy or severance payments (16 weeks pay)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think SG is the worst amongst all Developed Countries in terms of Monetary Retrenchment Benefits

(27-11-2022, 08:04 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  Still $550 …. in 1985 still fugging low

Ya.. I know.
After that my income is 5 figures liao. Then few yrs later started my own Adv agency. Charge high price like selling diamonds. Rotfl
[+] 1 user Likes Notdumb's post