Ridout saga and Conflicts of interest

https://www.jom.media/strengthening-the-...-interest/

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like p1acebo's post

I think if it is another minister, or just BalaKeeLeng only, public might be forgiving .... but this is the Law Minister, whose ministry is in charge of SLA, which is in charge of the RidOut bungalows..... how to believe he didn’t get insider info to rent..... plus some more he gave BalaKeeLeng the insiders tips...... imagine if this is the stock market.....

CHAOS & Cityhantam are 2 sick CCP mother-fcuker bastards, who support Islamic radical Simplemen, aka Imran, who has been belittling Chinese, juz because their mothers like farking Hamas dogs

[+] 4 users Like YummyKing's post

https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+...t+property&oq=youtube+Singapore+MP+vivian+balakrisna+says+glad+PM+Lee+review+Ridout+property+&aqs=chrome..69i57.51999j0j4&client=ms-android-oppo-rvo3&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:c299d3a4,vid:Q8EWDf2KdeI
[+] 1 user Likes Scythian's post

Pardon me if I am wrong. This Govt did pay their own Ministers extremely well to moot out such mal- pràctice so that they are a clean Govt. This decision meant well but rekindles the weak process that has not been addressed and the perpetrators never punished.

Win the World but lost your Soul. 
[+] 1 user Likes Symmetry's post

If oppositions rent the bungalow, they will be suspended and grill until jialat jialat.. no review straight away under police investigation
[+] 6 users Like pinkpanther's post

copy and paste for those lazy to click
Strengthening the Singapore system: the Ridout saga and conflicts of interest
by Harpreet Singh Nehal
May 26, 2023 | 6-min read
Politics
Incorruptibility is a bedrock principle upon which Singapore is built. We have every reason to be proud of this legacy. Inevitably, there are going to be times in our national life when circumstances will test our commitment to this foundational value. But such times also offer an important opportunity to strengthen our system. This is one of those seasons.

Over the past few months, several matters have caused some unease among Singaporeans. These include senior Keppel executives being given stern warnings in lieu of prosecution for their involvement in a massive, decade-long bribery scheme in Brazil; and the decision by Tin Pei Ling, a member of parliament (MP) with the ruling People’s Action Party (PAP), to accept a senior public affairs and policy role with Grab, while simultaneously being chairperson of a seemingly associated Government Parliamentary Committee. Tin later gave up that role after significant public disquiet.

Most recently came news that Home Affairs and Law Minister K Shanmugam and Foreign Affairs Minister Vivian Balakrishnan had leased bungalows on Ridout Road from the Singapore Land Authority (SLA), a government statutory board falling under the former’s oversight. Three days ago, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced that a review into this matter will be conducted by Senior Minister (SM) Teo Chee Hean (who’s also Coordinating Minister for National Security).

How should we properly assess this subject and the government’s planned review? Let’s start with some general observations.

Clearly, the optics of a minister entering a transaction with an agency under his oversight are less than favourable. It has, however, been suggested by some that where a rental or other similar opportunity is open to the world at large, there can be no serious objection with cabinet ministers (or their family members) participating in their capacity as private citizens. The matter needs to be approached with some nuance.

First, a Ministerial Code of Conduct has been promulgated to avoid actual or apparent conflicts of interests. Absent an independent agency or formal mechanism through which any potential conflict of interest by a minister has to be cleared, there is a good argument to be made that there must be scrupulous observance of the Code. It’s not even a matter of actual wrongdoing—as long as a transaction involving a minister can create the perception of special treatment, it must be avoided.

Second, even if it is felt that that is too strict a position, any government transactions involving ministers (or their family members) must be subject to important caveats: there must be robust processes in place to deal with any actual or apparent conflicts of interest, and these must be scrupulously observed; full and frank disclosure is made that the counterparty is a minister (or their family member); there is no misuse of confidential, non-public information; the minister receives no favourable treatment; the government agency reaches its decision independently and impartially; and the resulting transaction is done on objectively verifiable and fair commercial terms. The safeguard cannot merely involve notification to a senior cabinet colleague. It needs to be much more robust and transparent.

Third, given the realities of modern life and the expansive reach of the government and government-linked companies in practically every aspect of Singaporean life, we can expect there to be yet more instances of dealings between ministers and MPs (and members of their families) with government agencies and regulators, whether in relation to business, appointments, jobs, licences, or approvals. However robust our processes for addressing possible conflicts of interest in such dealings, delicate and perhaps even blunt, uncomfortable questions will inevitably arise. We must embrace, not disparage, such questions.

The questions, and proper responses to them, are essential in demonstrating our commitment to ensuring that any arrangements involving senior government officials (or their family members) are completely above board. Probing questions also provide us with a valuable opportunity to consider whether existing safeguards and practices are good enough. At heart, when Singaporeans ask uncomfortable questions, it is because we care for our country and wish to see it grow stronger.

As I wrote in my recent commentary on the Keppel bribery scandal: “...[d]oubts which strike at the foundation of our commitment to incorruptibility and the rule of law must never be allowed to take root.” It is the responsibility of every concerned citizen to press the necessary questions, and for the government to rigorously and fairly attend to them to dispel even the slightest perception of anything less than fair play or transparent dealings.

With these observations in mind, the ultimate credibility and effectiveness of the government’s review into the Ridout Road leases will turn on two points.

First, full disclosure of all material facts. Suffice to say, the review should cover the following:

What processes the government has in place to deal with any actual or apparent conflicts of interest and how they were followed in this case;
What were the reason(s) the Minister for Home Affairs and Law submitted his bid via an agent and did the SLA know that the minister was the ultimate principal behind the bid? If so, how, and when did the SLA come to know this? If not, how was the SLA to effectively abide by any protocols to avoid possible conflicts of interest without this information?;
Did the SLA take independent advice from the Attorney General’s Chambers on the processes it should put in place to ensure a level playing field existed and to address any possible conflicts of interest? If not, what steps did the SLA take to properly address this?;
Apart from not disclosing the guide rent, what steps did the SLA take to ensure that the ministers were not in any advantageous position over the world at large in relation to the rentals of both bungalows?;
What is the recent history of the tenancies of both properties and under what circumstances did the previous tenants come to leave each property?;
Why did both properties remain vacant for such an extended period before the leases to the ministers were granted? What steps did the SLA take to rent out the properties in that time?;
The full costs of the renovations to each property and who bore them;
The period for which each property was advertised and whether that period was adequate to secure properly competitive bids;
The rent payable for each property, how that was derived and how it compares with market rent;
The lease renewal terms for each property; and
Were there any non-standard tenancy terms negotiated with either minister and, if so, what were those terms?
Ideally, the review should also disclose copies of both tenancy agreements, as well as all key written communications between the SLA and the ministers (or their agents) leading up to the entry and renewals of the leases, including the renovations. The Singaporean public appreciates the issues, and knows when the government’s responses are fair, in as much as it knows when there are shortcomings. The more detailed, thorough and wide-ranging the review report, the greater its ultimate credibility.

Second, the perceived independence of the review. There is nothing more powerful to address concerns of possible conflicts of interest than oversight or review by a respected, independent, external third party who is given full access and who then reports the findings publicly.

This is where the planned review will face some challenges.

To give credit where it is due, the May 24th statement from the Prime Minister’s Office records that both the affected ministers had requested “a review that is independent of the ministries and agencies they supervise”. The government has also appointed SM Teo, one of the most senior cabinet ministers, to lead the review. There is no question of SM Teo’s seniority and standing and the fact that he is independent of the relevant ministries and agencies involved in this case.

At the same time, SM Teo is from the same party as the two ministers, and is also their cabinet colleague, in the same executive branch of government. Given this, and the importance and political sensitivity of the matter under review, it is not unreasonable for an objective observer to take the view that there ought to be a greater degree of separation between the individual heading this review and the ministers involved. Here, there would have been much to commend the appointment of any of our Supreme Court judges, current or retired, to lead this review. It is still early enough in the review process for the government to adjust course and do so.

Singapore’s national culture of incorruptibility is a precious legacy we have inherited. It needs to be carefully nurtured and preserved by each successive generation. Uncomfortable as questions or commentaries may be about the Ridout Road leases, they present us an opportunity to reinforce our commitment to this core national value.

Harpreet Singh Nehal is a Senior Counsel. A graduate of National University of Singapore, Harvard Law School and a former Justices’ Law Clerk, he was previously a partner of Drew & Napier and later of the UK Magic Circle law firm, Clifford Chance. In 2019, he established his own boutique litigation firm, Audent Chambers, where he is managing partner. He is also a member of Harvard Law School’s Leadership Council of Asia.
[+] 2 users Like Truebluesg's post

(26-05-2023, 08:18 PM)pinkpanther Wrote:  If oppositions rent the bungalow, they will be suspended and grill until jialat jialat.. no review straight away under police investigation

Needless to say, double confirmed
[+] 1 user Likes RichDad's post

(26-05-2023, 08:18 PM)pinkpanther Wrote:  If oppositions rent the bungalow, they will be suspended and grill until jialat jialat.. no review straight away under police investigation

Can't Pritam Singh go to the police to make a report?

Just like what they did to him
[+] 1 user Likes Sentinel's post

Same thing done by opposition police interrogate until no day no night.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 2 users Like sgbuffett's post

(26-05-2023, 07:57 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  https://www.jom.media/strengthening-the-...-interest/

he is too naive.
writing essay and actual politics are totally different.

once a party has monopoly politics, the party can change laws and constitution to justify anything.
change presidential rules.
change porfma rules.
review by own party members
[+] 1 user Likes forum456's post

(26-05-2023, 11:04 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Same thing done by opposition police interrogate until no day no night.

I don't see why the oppo MPs cannot rent a GCB if they can afford it.  Rolleyes
[+] 1 user Likes Oyk's post

(26-05-2023, 10:53 PM)Sentinel Wrote:  Can't Pritam Singh go to the police to make a report?

Just like what they did to him

Difficulty is the MHA is under you know who?
He can make a police report though , they would have to act on it.
[+] 2 users Like Truebluesg's post

(26-05-2023, 11:45 PM)Truebluesg Wrote:  Difficulty is the MHA is under you know who?
He can make a police report though , they would have to act on it.

As Head of Opposition, he has the stature and forum to do so, so do it!
[+] 2 users Like Sentinel's post

the whole show is like this.

once PAP cannot find any wrongdoing with the ministers, JB will be sued for defamation until bankrupt.
if there is wrongdoing with ministers, JB cannot be sued because he has become a whistleblower.

just wait for the replay of this show.

(26-05-2023, 08:05 PM)YummyKing Wrote:  I think if it is another minister, or just BalaKeeLeng only, public might be forgiving .... but this is the Law Minister, whose ministry is in charge of SLA, which is in charge of the RidOut bungalows..... how to believe he didn’t get insider info to rent..... plus some more he gave BalaKeeLeng the insiders tips...... imagine if this is the stock market.....

Being in-charge of SLA, the Law Minister knows everything inside out.

Instead of strengthening SLA, he goes the opposite direction searching for "lobang" and exploiting the weakness in the system.

Having LHL to appoint TCH reflecting lost of trust and confidence.

Why like that?

(27-05-2023, 12:24 AM)forum456 Wrote:  the whole show is like this.

once PAP cannot find any wrongdoing with the ministers, JB will be sued for defamation until bankrupt.
if there is wrongdoing with ministers, JB cannot be sued because he has become a whistleblower.

just wait for the replay of this show.
Jayaratnam did not say anything. Only asking how much rent did they pay
[+] 1 user Likes sogo's post

This thread welcomes everybody.  Oppies, neutrals, folks with a penchant for humour and good English, Singlish, EDMW lingo, Chinese and of course not forgetting the sycophants. 

Or if you simply just want to TCSS.

All are most welcome to comment and have your say Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like p1acebo's post

(27-05-2023, 02:41 AM)sogo Wrote:  Jayaratnam did not say anything. Only asking how much rent did they pay

He is JBJ’s son.  So of course he definitely knows how to side step the landmines Big Grin

no doubt about this.
[+] 1 user Likes K88 shu shu's post

Nice titties Big Grin

This is the time to prove themselves clean and transparent with the several information that has been hidden. Why data was removed on the rental amount?

This is conflict of interest.
[+] 1 user Likes Wy:Nox's post

One issue is SLA mismanaging SG reserves. How come not rented out for years? Cant be. Cannot be sold or redeveloped?

The review or whatever must give us the reasons.

They will not be found guilty of anything, that's confirmed. But they already lost their moral compass.

Natural aristocrats living in colonial bungalows like kings , how to empathise with peasants?

They should just go back to private practice and live like kings. Nobody cares.
[+] 2 users Like RichDad's post

(27-05-2023, 02:41 AM)sogo Wrote:  Jayaratnam did not say anything. Only asking how much rent did they pay

he still can be sued and see if he can win the court case.

as long as you have money, you can sue anyone to make your enemy poorer.
[+] 1 user Likes forum456's post

Is it very smelly? Big Grin

If Dr chee was elected into Parliament and he was the one renting the bungalow, you can imagine the unjust treatment he will receive...he will be shredded to pieces!
[+] 1 user Likes pinkpanther's post

(26-05-2023, 08:05 PM)YummyKing Wrote:  I think if it is another minister, or just BalaKeeLeng only, public might be forgiving .... but this is the Law Minister, whose ministry is in charge of SLA, which is in charge of the RidOut bungalows..... how to believe he didn’t get insider info to rent..... plus some more he gave BalaKeeLeng the insiders tips...... imagine if this is the stock market.....

It is not about insider info.. It is about if there are multiple bidders, and you are the evaluator of the tender, will you side your Minister?

Or if there is only 1 bid (by Ah Sham), I am sure there is a T&C somewhere to say the tender can be cancelled due to insufficient bids to protect SLA interest in case only 1 party come in to low ball.

So no matter now you see it from procurement point of view, Ah Sham hard to explain..

That only mean someone else in SLA is accountable to the saga..

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..
[+] 1 user Likes ArielCasper's post

Up to today, we don't know how much Sham paid in rent. Sham is dumb to put himself in such an awkward position. If rent is high, people will think he is an out of touch elite. If rent is low, people will assume he got preferential treatment from SLA. Sometimes smart people make stupid decisions.
[+] 2 users Like starbugs's post

They get Teo CH to be "Independent" Reviewer

already show problems

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 1 user Likes Ola's post

By his actions he is straining the public resources and funding to lookout for any wrong doings of all public servant.
If he is disciplined to stop abusing his status, it will minimize many unwarranted misbehavior of any public servant.
[+] 1 user Likes Ernesto's post

Throughout the whole saga anyone guess who leak the news to KJ? The rajahs have been living in the bungalow for a few years before the news get leaked out. I am guessing some senior civil servant in SLA buay song over some matters so kena fired take revenge? He/she really good at blowing whistle wonder what is his/her name haha... just like NKF that plumber who reveal no one know his actual name. He install a gold plated tap leh.
[+] 1 user Likes sgh's post