students from NTU to push the school to relook its financial aid system

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/nt...ty-2186311

The 22-year-old, who declined to give her full name because she was worried that her financial aid would be affected, said that in her first year of education, she received a government bursary of S$6,200.

She was also given a donated bursary by insurance company Prudential through the school for S$10,000 for the whole academic year.

At the time, Faith, who is from NTU's College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, had a per capita household income of S$230.

However, she did not receive the donated bursary the following year, after her per capita household income rose to S$900. She said that it was not clear how to apply and who was eligible for the donated bursary.

Faith, who is a member of the NTU Financial Aid Friends, also said that earlier this year, her bursary was disbursed after her school accommodation fees were due.

She ended up incurring a late fee for not paying her hall fees on time, even though she was in the midst of asking NTU to extend the payment date for the hall fees.

"At that period of time, I was very stressed out... but to me at that time (the late fee of) S$30 or S$40 was a lot of money," she said, adding that the school eventually waived the late fee.

why so poor financial aid to singaporean students but free $milllions scholarships for foreign students ?

We cannot burden foreign students here as they have no family support and structure here. It is important to give them peace of mind for their studies of their own merit without any financial burden.

(06-06-2023, 09:43 AM)red3 Wrote:  We cannot burden foreign students here as they have no family support and structure here. It is important to give them peace of mind for their studies of their own merit without any financial burden.

if we do not have enough money to help singaporean students , why give free money to foreign students ?

we should help all singaporean students before we give free money to foreign students

CECA and AT students more impt lah

do not understand why these poor students need to pay for late fees ?

once they are qualified for aid, all fees should be paid by the govt, there is no need for the students to pay any fee.

Scholarships are given to foreigners.
Singaporeans have to pay their way

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

If I was a PAP minister, I would say the below like a PAP minister.

You want education for primary, secondary, JC,poly or university ?

You want meal from hawker centre or restaurant

This Uni pays very well for the FTs Profs who are mostly half past six with very poor England to work here. They never look into their dubious CVs with fake credentials.

But come to our poor local students, they are very stingy with the financial aid

8Umbrella Umbrella

This is really bringing our Govt to shame. Just stop giving away thousands of tuition subsidy to foreigners, please!

GST to help the poor & rich Foreigners

But why should we help them when they did not complete NS?

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(06-06-2023, 08:58 AM)forum456 Wrote:  why so poor financial aid to singaporean students but free $milllions scholarships for foreign students ?

Ask pinky lor, his logic is very flawed

Everything the students say have a point, except for this

"The students said that incoming students would thus be unable to compare NTU’s financial aid package to that of other schools, which is important for them when deciding on which university to attend."

WTF, you study not because you have interest in a particular discipline, but because the university provide a better financial aid package. Like that you are just wasting the chance that belong to another who have interest.

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

Someone jiak lui is it?