SG Talk

Full Version: TKL: NEVER SAY IT CANNOT BE DONE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/pe...ox-2238811
The topic of young people's financial health is one that is close to his heart and indeed a key message of his campaign is that he wants to build a better future for Singapore's youths.

“I want young people to be able to say ‘I'm confident of the future’, ‘I'm confident I can raise a family and bring up children’, and ‘I don't have to worry about this’. I will do my best, if I'm elected, to bring about those conditions.”

He added that this involves bringing down the cost of living, making housing affordable and jobs more secure.

Mr Tan has repeatedly said that if elected, he hopes to use the "soft power" of the presidency to influence government policy in these areas, though experts have pointed out each time that this is not within the purview of the President.

For example, Dr Felix Tan, a political analyst at the Nanyang Technological University, has said that while the President can make recommendations on policy, "at the end of the day, it is up to the Cabinet, the Government of the day, to decide".
Dr Tan has also pointed out that the President cannot overturn the Constitution.
To this, Mr Tan's feels that simply accepting such an outcome is to have a "negative attitude". If one stops trying to find a way to get it done, it is akin to accepting defeat, he said. 
Which brings us to advice #3: Keep trying to find a way. Failure is a good way to learn.
One way to create change is to first test potential solutions on a smaller scale, he said. If it works, then the solution can be expanded. If it does not, one need not worry as the failure would become a learning experience. 

To this, Mr Tan's feels that simply accepting such an outcome is to have a "negative attitude". If one stops trying to find a way to get it done, it is akin to accepting defeat, he said.
Good advice. However the other 2 candidates only look into the $$$$