SG Talk

Full Version: Man who raped ex-girlfriend hoping to impregnate her gets 10½ years' jail and caning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Selina Lum
Law Correspondent
PUBLISHED 1 HOUR AGO

SINGAPORE - A 26-year-old man who raped his former girlfriend of 10 years after persuading her to follow him home was sentenced to 10½ years' jail and six strokes of the cane on Monday (Nov 8).

High Court Judge Philip Jeyaretnam found that the man's act of trying to impregnate the victim so that she would have to marry him amounted to deliberate infliction of special trauma, which is an aggravating factor in sentencing.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/c...s-jail-and
I didn't know JBJ's son is now a high court judge. He was just promoted, starting 1 Nov.
(08-11-2021, 08:17 PM)starbugs Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't know JBJ's son is now a high court judge. He was just promoted, starting 1 Nov.

Yah, that's news
(08-11-2021, 08:17 PM)starbugs Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't know JBJ's son is now a high court judge. He was just promoted, starting 1 Nov.

(08-11-2021, 09:19 PM)RichDad Wrote: [ -> ]Yah, that's news

Philip JBJs son is going against his father, who is a strong opposition MP..... crying
(08-11-2021, 09:56 PM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]Philip JBJs son is going against his father, who is a strong opposition MP..... crying
Why did you say this? Go against?
(08-11-2021, 09:59 PM)RichDad Wrote: [ -> ]Why did you say this? Go against?

JBJ is always an opposition member in Parliament. But his son is now a high court judge, which is a civil servant's job, therefore he is for the PAP.... Big Grin
(08-11-2021, 10:02 PM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]JBJ is always an opposition member in Parliament. But his son is now a high court judge, which is a civil servant's job, therefore he is for the PAP.... Big Grin

It is not true that a civil servant must always support PAP.
(08-11-2021, 10:02 PM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]JBJ is always an opposition member in Parliament. But his son is now a high court judge, which is a civil servant's job, therefore he is for the PAP.... Big Grin

The Executive and The Judiciary are supposed to be independent.  Are you saying the court is pliant ? Rotfl