SG Talk

Full Version: You can be absent, but not the red packet': Bride in China disses ex-colleague
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
🧧 'You can be absent, but not the red packet': Bride in China disses ex-colleague over wedding no-show

Should newlyweds be expected to eventually reciprocate the ang baos received from wedding guests? One bride in China seems to think so.

READ: https://bit.ly/3FKx49q

Follow @AsiaOnecom for all the latest updates
I think this is not the norm. Most Chinese won't do this kind of thing.
Go n give ang pow might as well stay n eat.
Guest if No come means Bo Liu or not interested
(03-11-2023, 12:41 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote: [ -> ]I think this is not the norm. Most Chinese won't do this kind of thing.

Have you ever been invited to a Chines wedding event before ?

It is a basic courtesy to give Angboh when you receive the wedding invite card from the new couple - even if you are unable to attend.

Just a token is suffice as a show of appreciation and well wishes to them.
If don't agree attend, don't need to give angpao, but it's basic courtesy to RSVP in advance. If agreed to attend but back out last minute, it's also basic courtesy to give the angpao.
Should scrap the hotel grand ballroom wedding so f*rking expensive. Simple dinner in Chinese restaurant should suffice. But I guess modern couple want something big and memorable so they invite guests to help offset some of the cost they fork out. It has now become a business deal nowadays.
(03-11-2023, 02:03 PM)Manthink Wrote: [ -> ]Have you ever been invited to a Chines wedding event before ?

It is a basic courtesy to give Angboh when you receive the wedding invite card from the new couple - even if you are unable to attend.

Just a token is suffice as a show of appreciation and well wishes to them.

Of cos lah. Normally there will be an informal check whether people can attend. If agreed to attend then they will give you the invitation card. At that time, even if dun attend also must give angbao. 

If in the first place say cannot attend then it depends on the person whether he wants to give or not give angbao.
Have you guys been to a Guangdong wedding before? You know that if they give you angbao you have to return some money to them, on the same day/night.