SG Talk

Full Version: Why Covid-19 self-testing is not the norm for some S'poreans - Price
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Jolene Ang and Wallace Woon
UPDATED2 HOURS AGO

experts said that one reason Singaporeans do not regularly self-test could be that ART kits here are "affordable but not cheap".

In Singapore, the prices of the self-test kits range between $8 and $13 each, with the price per kit lower for larger packs.

Over in Malaysia, in a bid to encourage regular self-testing, the government had gradually reduced the prices of test kits to make them more affordable for the public.

The test kits there are available for as low as RM6.90 (S$2.24) a unit and are sold at supermarkets, convenience stores and petrol stations across Malaysia.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/h...ngaporeans
No wonder....so many cases...and many dont know how to do the proper way
(14-11-2021, 11:02 AM)Sharexchange Wrote: [ -> ]No wonder....so many cases...and many dont know how to do the proper way

So many who do not know the proper way of executing the test, are infected without knowing it until it is too late, and they in turn infect others like their family members and neighbours.........no wonder we have 3000+ infections daily...... crying
PAP do not want us to test vigorously otherwise the daily infection rates will be 3 to 5 times more than reported. Not only WHO will ban us but SG' s History will go down into the loongkang.
(14-11-2021, 11:12 AM)Ola Wrote: [ -> ]PAP do not want us to test vigorously otherwise the daily infection rates will be 3 to 5  times more than reported. Not only WHO will ban us but SG' s History will go down into the loongkang.

U do ART everyday ah? Laughing
And why can't consumer buy ART test kit as cheap as RM6.90 in Singapore?

This is something govt want us to do, so it is only right they make the price affordable.
what expensive? ART kit (made in China) costs A$28 per set in Australia..
(14-11-2021, 11:25 AM)ArielCasper Wrote: [ -> ]And why can't consumer buy ART test kit as cheap as RM6.90 in Singapore?

This is something govt want us to do, so it is only right they make the price affordable.

Too cheap cannot suck sinkees $$$ wat. Laughing
I think malaysia use those cheap china made one. There are about 6 to 8 different made ART here i think.
(14-11-2021, 11:37 AM)Sharexchange Wrote: [ -> ]I think malaysia use those cheap china made one. There are about 6 to 8 different made ART here i think.

cheaper but are they accurate? heard some of them not accurate at all, test result is always negative to make you happy.
(14-11-2021, 11:29 AM)lvlrsSTI Wrote: [ -> ]what expensive? ART kit (made in China) costs A$28 per set in Australia..

Then the question is what is Aussie govt not making it as cheap as RM6.9? I am not sure how hard Aussie govt is pushing responsibility (as hard as Sinkie govt??), but if they are pushing equally hard, then it should be made as affordable as RM6.9, even if it mean govt have to subsidize.
(14-11-2021, 11:50 AM)ArielCasper Wrote: [ -> ]Then the question is what is Aussie govt not making it as cheap as RM6.9? I am not sure how hard Aussie govt is pushing responsibility (as hard as Sinkie govt??), but if they are pushing equally hard, then it should be made as affordable as RM6.9, even if it mean govt have to subsidize.

Aussie garment only sets a price guideline between $8-30, it is up to supermarkets to decide how much they charge, and the supermarkets are greedy, to maximise the profit, they set price at $28 per set, very expensive. As a result, not many people are willing to buy ART kit, less tests means less cases. Big Grin
(14-11-2021, 11:47 AM)lvlrsSTI Wrote: [ -> ]cheaper but are they accurate? heard sone of them not accurate at all, test result is always negative to make you happy.

Your point remind me of what Taiwan task force minister commented why their PCR test is so expensive when he is questioned by the reporters..

He said exactly the same thing, because our PCR test are more accurate (than China), that why we cost more than them.. 

Like all consumable, there are poor/average/good quality product. Since ART test kit is something that can determine live and death, then it is govt responsibility to make sure that those selling in the market are of quality that govt can accept. Like what you rightly point out, if the test kit only give negative result (ie you positive or not, will just return negative), then it is bring massive risk to the country who allowed such test kits to be sold.

Maybe the RM6.9 is not as accurate, but is it in the range of what the govt accept? If yes, then that should be the similar pricing which we should be expecting in our market as well.
I used 2 kits received from govt.
Test and throw.

Imagine if I bought at $10....test and throw $10 away?...
(14-11-2021, 11:56 AM)lvlrsSTI Wrote: [ -> ]Aussie garment only sets a price guideline between $8-30, it is up to supermarkets to decide how much they charge, and the supermarkets are greedy, to maximise the profit, they set price at $28 per set, very expensive. As a result, not many people are willing to buy ART kit, less tests means less cases. Big Grin
This is where govt intervention has to come in.. You want people to buy test kit to test, but yet you allowed it to be priced in a manner people won't test.. At the end who will suffer, the country..
Soon policy maker will say no test cannot go out after those unvac jabbed. Are they looking for the next phrase of excuse.
All these testing is a waste of time and resources since they already decided to co-exist with the virus.
(14-11-2021, 12:00 PM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]I used 2 kits received from govt.
Test and throw.

U r the most stupid and kiasi guy here. Laughing
(14-11-2021, 12:00 PM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]I used 2 kits received from govt.
Test and throw.

the ones given by garment are made in Korea....if you buy from Watson it costs $9.4 per piece.
Our govr just donated 200k kit to indonesia...no kidding
(14-11-2021, 12:16 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote: [ -> ]the ones given by garment are made in Korea....if you buy from Watson it costs $9.4 per piece.
Freaking expensive indeed....uncalled for expenses ....don't need to test if you are breathing well, feeling well.
(14-11-2021, 12:24 PM)Sharexchange Wrote: [ -> ]Our govr just donated 200k kit to indonesia...no kidding

Why donate to Indonesia, when we have such a large number of infected.  Charity should begin at home... Thinking