SG Talk

Full Version: Are S'poreans sloppy dressers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It makes sense to dress casually in S'pore owing to the warm and humid weather all year round, but wearing lightweight and breathable fabrics doesn't mean appearing sloppy like many of us.  I have seen people overseas who appear fashionable and functional dressers in summer. Women wear dresses, blouses, pants and shorts with casual footwear which appear chic, but not careless or unsystematic.  Many men also manage to pull off a fashionable vibe in short sleeve shirts, polo tees, T-shirts matched with bermudas and pants made from light fabrics and shoes.  Do you agree? 
Agree.
I overheard one lady buying cheap Tees from pasar malam type stall. She said after first wash, the shirt looks like a rag. Fit for cleaning the floor.
But that type is most comfortable though looks sloppy.
(20-11-2023, 01:13 PM)Alice Alicia Wrote: [ -> ]Agree.

[Image: 0c44bde9d0713a6439bea214f7c17635.jpg]
This outfit and footwear is functional to beat the summer heat, but stylish as well
TS EvertonDiehard is a foreigner who looks down on SGreans simply because he wants to 

When in SG be like SGrean Big Grin

[Image: singapore-what-to-wear.jpg]
TS want us wear like HK ppl even in own house still wear jacket and tie ?
(20-11-2023, 04:26 PM)K88 shu shu Wrote: [ -> ]TS  want us wear like HK ppl even in own house still wear jacket and tie ?

Where you see HK ppl inside own house wear jacket and tie ?
(20-11-2023, 01:42 PM)Migrant Wrote: [ -> ]I overheard one lady buying cheap Tees from pasar malam type stall. She said after first wash, the shirt looks like a rag. Fit for cleaning the floor.

我家里很多这种衣服 破洞了还在穿   Laughter-119
(20-11-2023, 04:23 PM)Manthink Wrote: [ -> ]TS EvertonDiehard is a foreigner who looks down on SGreans simply because he wants to 

When in SG be like SGrean 

I am afraid that you got that completely wrong as I am a true blue S'porean male who was born, educated and served NS here. I am merely asking a question and seeking SG Talkers input on whether most Sinkies in general dress in a sloppy manner. This has nothing to do with dressing formally, but dressing stylishly even in casual wear that is meant to beat the heat.
(20-11-2023, 04:26 PM)K88 shu shu Wrote: [ -> ]TS  want us wear like HK ppl even in own house still wear jacket and tie ?

[Image: geneva-satin-culottes-sage-1.jpeg]
For the uninitiated, this is an example of casual yet fashionable wear for S'pore's tropical weather 
(20-11-2023, 04:35 PM)sgh Wrote: [ -> ]Where you see HK ppl inside own house wear jacket and tie ?

K88 shu shu must have watched it on a HK drama filmed during a formal setting indoors in winter. 
(20-11-2023, 04:07 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 0c44bde9d0713a6439bea214f7c17635.jpg]
This outfit and footwear is functional to beat the summer heat, but stylish as well

Dry summer not humid

Placebo said his di-di was also wet
I just came back from Thailand. Saw many AMDK wearing those cheap Thailand singlets, shorts and slippers. Why no people say they sloppy dresser?

Remember when I was on cruise. Went to the main dining area and saw many very well dressed people. I was thinking are these people real? Cruise leh. How many pairs of footwear one needs to pack? Slippers for swimming. Track shoes for working out. Office shoe for dinner?
i like to wear NDP shirt
(20-11-2023, 06:51 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote: [ -> ]I am afraid that you got that completely wrong as I am a true blue S'porean male who was born, educated and served NS here. I am merely asking a question and seeking SG Talkers input on whether most Sinkies in general dress in a sloppy manner. This has nothing to do with dressing formally, but dressing stylishly even in casual wear that is meant to beat the heat.

I am afraid you misinterpreted my comment - What I am driving at is "true blue S'porean male" by and large does not care how "people overseas" dresses in summer...So the word "sloppy" does not apply and much less so trying to look "stylishly" for 5 mins under a 35C afternoon sun...

So here you go - you got an answer to your question.

(20-11-2023, 10:14 PM)Manthink Wrote: [ -> ]I am afraid you misinterpreted my comment - What I am driving at is "true blue S'porean male" by and large does not care how "people overseas" dresses in summer...So the word "sloppy" does not apply and much less so trying to look "stylishly" for 5 mins under a 35C afternoon sun...So here you go - you got an answer to your question.

I don't really care how other S'poreans dress when out and about.  I just notice that many dress sloppily which includes worn out, faded, wrinkle, torn tops and bottoms which are paired with slippers. I try to be presentable when leaving my home, and that includes wearing casual wear when not on my way to work.  I don't feel too warm and uncomfortable in a cotton shirt, polo tee or T-shirt and cotton pants, jeans in thinner material or bermudas that are not worn out.  
(20-11-2023, 08:21 PM)Ola Wrote: [ -> ]Dry summer not humid
Placebo said his di-di was also wet

I have never felt overly uncomfortable in a cotton short sleeve shirt, polo tee or T-shirt paired with cotton pants, jeans or bermudas in our tropical heat. I prefer to wear shoes rather than slippers because they provide better support and look more presentable.  
In tw tv dramas, the ppl wear shoes into their houses and even bedrooms. When they quarrel and fight, aso dress up nicely
(20-11-2023, 01:06 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote: [ -> ]It makes sense to dress casually in S'pore owing to the warm and humid weather all year round, but wearing lightweight and breathable fabrics doesn't mean appearing sloppy like many of us.  I have seen people overseas who appear fashionable and functional dressers in summer. Women wear dresses, blouses, pants and shorts with casual footwear which appear chic, but not careless or unsystematic.  Many men also manage to pull off a fashionable vibe in short sleeve shirts, polo tees, T-shirts matched with bermudas and pants made from light fabrics and shoes.  Do you agree? 

I always wear collar polo T-shirts, khakis shorts and sandals go everywhere lah! Big Grin Was chased out of a wedding dinner before lah!
(21-11-2023, 11:43 AM)cheekopekman Wrote: [ -> ]I always wear collar polo T-shirts, khakis shorts and sandals go everywhere lah! Big Grin Was chased out of a wedding dinner before lah!

https://youtu.be/Dg2L9W54mkM?si=FGjAgp6r-tJYUkWb
(21-11-2023, 11:43 AM)cheekopekman Wrote: [ -> ]I always wear collar polo T-shirts, khakis shorts and sandals go everywhere lah! Big Grin Was chased out of a wedding dinner before lah!
Depends on who wears lah. These people wear slippers and can even attend White House functions and Directors' meetings. Dun looks sloppy but quite cool I think.     Big Grin

[Image: A2ptmv-Xk-Cb-HHo-Jh-K0t8qwaq21e-SE0-T7p-...pxa-I.webp]
Weather so humid n hot sweat a lot.
Wear nice only in office working
after covid lockdown and wfh, i have already donated 3 big boxes and 2 big paper bags of clothes to salvation army.
now i only wear uniqlo and lululemon Tongue
(20-11-2023, 01:42 PM)Migrant Wrote: [ -> ]I overheard one lady buying cheap Tees from pasar malam type stall. She said after first wash, the shirt looks like a rag. Fit for cleaning the floor.

Because origin is dirt cheap, made from China, Vietnam factory. This is why a lot FB seller also selling as the profit margin is a lot.
Those cheap clothes just cost only 1 dollar or so quote from supplier depend how much you order. Obviously if you order a lot will be even cheaper for one piece. And the seller just sell 5 bucks even 3 bucks also can profit a lot.

why I know , I got one relative used to sell clothes many years back at Chinatown. His supply are from China. He told me can see lot of Singaporean also order. Now my relative never sell partly rental is very high so he close. He earn till can buy another condo to rent out.
Smile
when come " Branded " clothing also must see who wear it.

Ah beng , etc wear branded clothing is still low SES end of the day.

even those rich one also have to depend their apperance , the way how they talk etc .

This is why there are people wear Branded clothes look even more elegance and stylish as their apperance , the way how they speak In line with the branded clothing.
(21-11-2023, 11:43 AM)cheekopekman Wrote: [ -> ]I always wear collar polo T-shirts, khakis shorts and sandals go everywhere lah! Was chased out of a wedding dinner before lah!

The operating word here is to dress appropriately for the occasion.  LOL!
(21-11-2023, 02:05 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote: [ -> ]when come " Branded " clothing also must see who wear it.
Ah beng , etc wear branded clothing is still low SES end of the day.
even those rich one also have to depend their apperance , the way how they talk etc .
This is why there are people wear Branded clothes look even more elegance and stylish as their apperance , the way how they speak In line with the branded clothing.

There must not be a disconnect between the person and the clothing that he/she is wearing.  How a person carries himself/herself is as important as their clothing.  While casual wear is functional and can even look fashionable, the key is to dress for the occasion.  That's what a dress code is for.
(21-11-2023, 03:19 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote: [ -> ]The operating word here is to dress appropriately for the occasion.  LOL!

Dress for the occasion lah! Big Grin
(21-11-2023, 04:21 PM)cheekopekman Wrote: [ -> ]Dress for the occasion lah! Big Grin

i wear uniqlo to office lah!
dress code is smart casual lah! 
nobody cares lah!  Big Grin
(21-11-2023, 04:45 PM)TalkingRabbit Wrote: [ -> ]i wear uniqlo to office lah!
dress code is smart casual lah! 
nobody cares lah!  Big Grin

Uniqlo is considered atas brand to me. I wear t-shirt printed with my favorite bands or OEM soccer jersey with jeans,cargo pants to work. Nobody cares becuz my job is in-house software developer no need face customers except in-house own users. So it all depend what role you perform in the company. Ppl doing sales of cuz need to be dressed appropriately though as you are representing your company image when you approach or demo to a prospective client.
Pages: 1 2