SG Talk

Full Version: SG Youth Entrepreneurship Program (SYEP) door-to-door sales of vouchers - Scam ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I saw some suspicious people walking door-to-door along the corridors. Turns out they are selling vouchers to raise funds to help kids age 7 to 16.

I did not speak with them initially as my mother answered to them at the door. They open mouth say can donate $30, $50 or $100 to buy vouchers that are worth $10 each. The vouchers are for buying durians and mooncakes at 10% discount. There is a whatsapp number on it for contact purposes, view menu and order. My mother saw that need to donate so much and hence she rejected them.

Afterwards I saw them going to my relative unit and from my unit I saw they keep talking to my relative. I immediately open door rush over and question them. Whack them jialat jialat on what are they doing, what is this for, how come need to donate so much, why need us to donate, nowadays a lot of scams how to know if you guys are legit etc etc. They just keep going around saying we know now got many scams so we openly show our passes and NRIC cards (from a lanyard), and these $$$ is to help so-and-so people so it is fine if you don't want to donate. After that I questioned them how much money goes into your pockets, they bla bla bla then say is 15%. The rest are purely exchange of words and they subsequently diam diam and left. I monitored and saw them simply disappear to dunno where as I never see them going to any units below ours.

Smelling something funny here, I went to google and saw they have a website and an UEN number. I searched for the UEN number and it shows that their organization registered under sole proprietorship and its primary activities are advertising services. I went to MCCY and Charity Portal and found that they have no permits for such fund raising activities.

A google thread also led me to a similar thread on Reddit on this. There is a picture of the voucher there.
Call mata lor. Many good heart aunties will fall for this one