SG Talk

Full Version: From NUS engineering student to billionaire
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Angela Teng
November 18, 2021

He is Singaporean, and his love for engineering made him study the subject, work in the sector, and eventually build his own engineering startup.

This 46-year-old man is none other than Teo Swee Ann, the CEO and President of Espressif Systems.

The self-made billionaire has a knack with technology and making devices, and has created a robust ecosystem for the Internet of Things (IoT) space, thanks to his mini semiconductor chips that are as small as a five cent coin.

[Image: ESP8266BLE-cnx-software.jpg]

How did this average Singaporean rise up to reach billionaire status? We take a look at his journey.

Much better to read full article at: https://vulcanpost.com/769625/singapore-...ssif-tech/
Who say sg no talent?..except sg talent dont like to make wealth in sg..or list their company here..
Very soon our gov will come and claim credit.

1. Clapping Clapping Clapping

I remember somebody here also had engineering degree but did not do much with it.
Brilliant.

The new Sim Wong Hoo is betterer, smarterer and richerer.
(19-11-2021, 08:14 AM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]

I remember somebody here also had engineering degree but did not do much with it.

Not easy lah. So many got degrees, masters, PhDs. But got caught in the rat race.  Not entrepreneurs.

You need not just degrees and brains but entrepreneurial spirit, risk taking and vision and some luck.

We are lucky to have this guy who is truly Singaporean.
(19-11-2021, 08:44 AM)RichDad Wrote: [ -> ]Brilliant.

The new Sim Wong Hoo is betterer, smarterer and richerer.

Quote:At age 45, he became the youngest billionaire in Singapore.[citation needed] He was also the first person to be named Singapore's Businessman of the Year twice, in 1992[2] and 1997.[citation needed] In 2002, he was named Person of the Year[3] by the Singapore Computer Society in recognition of his contribution to the IT industry. Sim is considered to be the star entrepreneur of Singapore, and he currently chairs Singapore's Technopreneurship 21 Private Sector Committee.[citation needed]

Sim soundcard was worldwide impact on the PC market while Teo esp32 micro controller chip impact only at the low end of the Chinese hobby market of iot devices. Sim manufactured in Singapore employing Singaporeans while Teo manufacture in China benefitting ahtiongs.  Laughing
Brilliant

must be from a lousy university.
how did he get in ?
He made his fortune in China.

Sim Wong Hoo made his fortune in USA.

Confirmed that Singapore cannot be the place for entrepreneurship.
This is the company that TH should have invested instead of some unicorns.
Excellent. I used many of his chips but didn't realise the company is actually founded by a Singaporean. Always thought that it's a Chinese company.

But then, truth is, he didn't start his company here. If he did, it'll  probably not be as successful.

I know who you are referring to.... Clapping Rotfl
(19-11-2021, 09:47 AM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]I know who you are referring to.... Clapping Rotfl
Someone who is crave over antiques.
(19-11-2021, 09:54 AM)Gemstar Wrote: [ -> ]Someone who is crave over antiques.

You have hit the nail on the head..... Clapping

I think you are making a dig at that somebody who is happily now collecting carpets Big Grin
There are many silent tech startup entrepreneur.

I know of a Gov scholar came out and start a mobile tunnelling security software. Acquired by Alipay.. Huat ah.

Many are silent mode.
dun forget henn tan who was born at geylang. his invention is used everywhere and many tried to copy
(19-11-2021, 10:27 AM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote: [ -> ]dun forget henn tan who was born at geylang. his invention is used everywhere and many tried to copy

Who is 'henn' tan.....? Thinking
(19-11-2021, 10:30 AM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]Who is 'henn' tan.....? Thinking

Trek 2000
(19-11-2021, 09:37 AM)ROFLMAO Wrote: [ -> ]This is the company that TH should have invested instead of some unicorns.

If only TH invested in that company, our coffers will be full up.... Laughing
(19-11-2021, 10:30 AM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]Who is 'henn' tan.....? Thinking

usb thumb drive guy. you never heard of?
(19-11-2021, 09:38 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote: [ -> ]Excellent. I used many of his chips but didn't realise the company is actually founded by a Singaporean. Always thought that it's a Chinese company.

But then, truth is, he didn't start his company here. If he did, it'll  probably not be as successful.

Probably got eaten up by some GLC...
(19-11-2021, 10:39 AM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote: [ -> ]usb thumb drive guy. you never heard of?

Sori I have not heard about it.  I am just a plankton in the vast ocean.... Rolleyes
(19-11-2021, 10:55 AM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]Sori I have not heard about it.  I am just a plankton in the vast ocean.... Rolleyes

Enquiring minds need to know, are u a zooplankton or phytoplankton?  Nerd
(19-11-2021, 09:38 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote: [ -> ]Excellent. I used many of his chips but didn't realise the company is actually founded by a Singaporean. Always thought that it's a Chinese company.

Yes, true blue Sporean and a Hwa Chong Alumnus
(19-11-2021, 11:29 AM)luncheonmeat Wrote: [ -> ]Enquiring minds need to know, are u a zooplankton or phytoplankton?  Nerd

cheem  Big Grin Laughing
(19-11-2021, 09:08 AM)way Wrote: [ -> ]Sim soundcard was worldwide impact on the PC market while Teo esp32 micro controller chip impact only at the low end of the Chinese hobby market of iot devices. Sim manufactured in Singapore employing Singaporeans while Teo manufacture in China benefitting ahtiongs.  Laughing

Times changed. Ah Sim employed lots of foreign talent in US. 

Ah Teo has long way to go. Coming back to SG. Not sure if it will be a good move or not.

Whatever it is, we should be proud that SG got world class talent too.
andrew ng is another top ai talent educated in sg. it's a pity that he left baidu and went to us to continue his adventures there, instead of coming back to here

there're actually no lack of local talent but no suitable environment and leaders with foresight to groom them
(19-11-2021, 12:13 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote: [ -> ]andrew ng is another top ai talent educated in sg. it's a pity that he left baidu and went to us to continue his adventures there, instead of coming back to here

there're actually no lack of local talent  but no suitable environment and leaders with foresight to groom them

It is sad to note that all millionaires entrepreneur made their money overseas, it is not that we don't have talents here, cos the environment is not conducive to start ups and business .... Scream
Pages: 1 2