SG Talk

Full Version: Ukrainian-born model crowned Miss Japan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ukrainian-born Karolina Shiino breaks racial barriers to win Miss Japan crown, sparking debate on what it means to be Japanese

‘I’m just filled with so much gratitude that I have really been accepted as a Japanese person today,’ Shiino said during a tearful acceptance speech

Many social media and users questioned whether the naturalised citizen, who ‘doesn’t have a drop of Japanese blood’, can is truly become the face of the country Japan.

The crowning of Ukrainian-born model Karolina Shiino as the winner of the Miss Japan contest this week has triggered a social media debate on what it means to be, and look, Japanese.

The 26-year-old model, who was born in Ukraine and looks Caucasian, has lived in Japan for more than 20 years and is a naturalised citizen. Over the years, Japan has further opened its doors to foreigners as a way to reverse its declining birth rate, one of the lowest in the world. OMG...😃😄😁🤩 Rotfl
Not so chio. There are so many Japanese that look better than her.
(25-01-2024, 07:42 PM)Tee tiong huat Wrote: [ -> ]Ukrainian-born Karolina Shiino breaks racial barriers to win Miss Japan crown, sparking debate on what it means to be Japanese

‘I’m just filled with so much gratitude that I have really been accepted as a Japanese person today,’ Shiino said during a tearful acceptance speech

Many social media and users questioned whether the naturalised citizen, who ‘doesn’t have a drop of Japanese blood’, can is truly become the face of the country Japan.

The crowning of Ukrainian-born model Karolina Shiino as the winner of the Miss Japan contest this week has triggered a social media debate on what it means to be, and look, Japanese.

The 26-year-old model, who was born in Ukraine and looks Caucasian, has lived in Japan for more than 20 years and is a naturalised citizen. Over the years, Japan has further opened its doors to foreigners as a way to reverse its declining birth rate, one of the lowest in the world. OMG...😃😄😁🤩 Rotfl
If Japan can, Singapore can accept Indian, China, Russia, Ukrainian, yellow color and angmo, anthing gal offer - all can lahh.
japan accept foreigner is still very very low

japan do not accept foreigners so easily

like the world no 1 woman tennis player Naomi Osaka

japan do not recognized her
(25-01-2024, 07:50 PM)Tee tiong huat Wrote: [ -> ]If Japan can, Singapore can accept Indian, China, Russia, Ukrainian, yellow color and angmo, anthing gal offer - all can lahh.

Sound like soros ..
(25-01-2024, 07:58 PM)grotesqueness Wrote: [ -> ]japan accept foreigner is still very very low

japan do not accept foreigners so easily

like the world no 1 woman tennis player Naomi Osaka

japan do not recognized her

Naomi Osaka is Japanese lah
(25-01-2024, 07:43 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote: [ -> ]Not so chio. There are so many Japanese that look better than her.

My sentiments exactly, but a beauty pageant celebrates more than merely physical appearance.  It looks at the contestant's intellect, poise and other attributes that go beyond her looks.
Japenis trying so hard to please their AMTK masters!  Rotfl
No different from Singapore importing B team tiong table tennis players lah Laughing
That jamban aunty Soh aka media whore must be feeling kind of stupid after those girls she had been feting, having earned millions of dollars that sg threw at them, return back to tiong land (HK) Laughing

Throw millions of dollars just to buy medals. Where is the glory? Not very smart Sad
i think Japan is trying to change their culture by being more open to foriegn born japanese

i mean look at Noimi Osaka and now this girl
Angela Aki also angmoh look but famous in Japan what...
(26-01-2024, 08:40 AM)ODA TETSURO Wrote: [ -> ]Angela Aki also angmoh look but famous in Japan what...

Angela Aki is mixed race and was born in Japan. The father is Japanese.

My favourite song from her, 手紙~拝啓十五の君へ~