SG Talk

Full Version: Houthi blockaded without a navy - rethink of naval strategy needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Like many countries Singapore secure shipping lines using its navy. Building military ships and subs are very expensive. 

But if we examine the situation at the Red Sea, the Houthis have successfully blockaded shipping lanes without a Navy using tactics that render a Navy useless

In the past when warships are used to conduct blockage we can just target them with our Navy.

The US has the option of deploying a carrier strike  group to strike the attackers. Such an option is not available for smaller states like Singapore.

We need to to seek alliances and depends on regional partners for shipping security. I just see any other choice. A multi-party alliance is needed to secure each leg of the shipping routes all the way down to the Malacxa straits.
Talk cock like sing song
(29-01-2024, 09:27 AM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]Like many countries Singapore secure shipping lines using its navy. Building military ships and subs are very expensive. 

But if we examine the situation at the Red Sea, the Houthis have successfully blockaded shipping lanes without a Navy using tactics that render a Navy useless

In the past when warships are used to conduct blockage we can just target them with our Navy.

The US has the option of deploying a carrier strike  group to strike the attackers. Such an option is not available for smaller states like Singapore.

We need to to seek alliances and depends on regional partners for shipping security. I just see any other choice. A multi-party alliance is needed to secure each leg of the shipping routes all the way down to the Malacxa straits.

Are you serious or mad? Conducting maritime blockage by terrorism tactics of shooting missiles at civilian ships, destroying cargoes and killing innocent lives instead of using warships to stop certain vessels and cargoes to pass through by legal means.      Big Grin
(29-01-2024, 10:09 AM)Huliwang Wrote: [ -> ]Are you serious or mad? Conducting maritime blockage by terrorism tactics of shooting missiles at civilian ships, destroying cargoes and killing innocent lives instead of using warships to stop certain vessels and cargoes to pass through by legal means.      Big Grin

I am saying these are tactic enemies can use.

I am not saying we use it.

We need to counter such tactics.

Learn to read before commenting.
(29-01-2024, 10:09 AM)Huliwang Wrote: [ -> ]Are you serious or mad? Conducting maritime blockage by terrorism tactics of shooting missiles at civilian ships, destroying cargoes and killing innocent lives instead of using warships to stop certain vessels and cargoes to pass through by legal means.    

There are tactics used by terrorists and others used by navies of civilised countries.  The free world cannot descend into adopting terror tactics.
(29-01-2024, 11:03 AM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]I am saying these are tactic enemies can use.

I am not saying we use it.

We need to counter such tactics.

Learn to read before commenting.

You dun twist and turn. You already implied that.     Big Grin