SG Talk

Full Version: A quarter of Korea’s car repair shops close as EV boom takes toll
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
“I can’t go on since rent continues to rise while demand for repairs falls,” Park said. “Shops for auto body work, such as for car tinting, are increasing in place of repair shops. Metaphorically speaking, it’s like local hospitals disappearing while dermatology and plastic surgery clinics increase in number.”

Though he received training on EVs to accommodate its growing demand for maintenance, for Park, a mechanic with 30 years of experience in engines, the engine-less EVs were much too similar to electric products and so he gave up.

“The situation’s only going to get worse in five to 10 years’ time so I need to find a way to make a living. I’m thinking of giving up auto maintenance to take out a loan and set up a car inspection station in the countryside,” he added.

The proportion of EVs in the market for new cars has been increasing thanks to the government’s green subsidy policy, and commercial vehicles that see a lot of time on the road, including small trucks, are increasingly going electric for the large subsidy benefits.

“Even now, there are not enough auto repair businesses that can fix EVs, to the extent that EV owners have to wait until the summer to fix their heaters,” Citizens for Future Cars Association chairman Lim Ki-sang said. “Support, such as in the form of significantly expanding the pilot project that aims to convert a select few auto repair shops into repair shops for future cars, is needed for a just transition,” said Lim.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/new...ll/1969417
(30-01-2024, 08:53 AM)theold Wrote: [ -> ]Though he received training on EVs to accommodate its growing demand for maintenance, for Park, a mechanic with 30 years of experience in engines, the engine-less EVs were much too similar to electric products and so he gave up. 

Cycling is becoming more popular among men

[Image: Cycling-3.jpg]