SG Talk

Full Version: 'Bomb bomb, go go': Vietnamese survivor recounts Houthi attack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The ship was laced with barbed wire and equipped with a fortified area stocked with provisions. Additionally, three armed guards were hired to accompany the vessel through the Gulf of Aden, an area frequented by Houthi activities off the coast of Yemen.

"Though aware of Houthi strikes targeting international shipping in support of Hamas, we anticipated the focus would be on cargo rather than human lives," Thanh remarked.

Approximately 90 kilometers from Yemen's Aden Port, a radio broadcast warned that the ship had not been granted entry. 

Consequently, the Indian captain opted to alter course and resume the journey later, prompting crew members to proceed with their duties.

"Screaming 'Bomb bomb bomb, go go,' we made our way," recounted Thanh.

As the fire raged, crew members assembled on the deck, preparing to abandon ship. Emotional distress was palpable, particularly among Filipino sailors mourning two missing comrades.

"We managed to carry Kien despite his injuries, while the rest of us sustained wounds," Thanh said.

With Kien's condition deteriorating, medical supplies were inadequate to save him. Thanh, fulfilling a solemn duty, documented his colleague's passing for the bereaved family.

"I hope shipping companies would make itineraries that do not travel through these sea areas. I hope the world is at peace."

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/bomb-b...22867.html
Mien said the captain of the ship, an Indian, did not alter the course despite having been warned about the potential danger. On Feb. 13, when the vessel departed for the trip, Kien told Mien to get updated on the news daily so she could inform him about the warzone situation at the Red Sea.

Over the journey, Kien texted his wife and their two children, aged 6 and 10, every day. The last text message sent to Mien was at 11:50 p.m. on March 5.

"I’m about to cross a warzone. I hope everything would be fine," he texted.

"No matter what happens, you have to return home safely to us," Mien replied.

The next morning, Kien did not answer her text. Mien felt something was wrong, so she told her mother-in-law to prepare offerings and pray for Kien’s safety.

"Kien was severely burned. He held on for an hour before dying. If there were enough medical supplies on the ship, or if an aircraft could have brought him to shore on time, he may have lived," a witness told Mien’s family.

"Before he left, he promised his youngest child that no matter how far he went, he would always return home to take him to the first-grade school opening ceremony (this fall)," the friend said.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/the-la...20423.html