SG Talk

Full Version: Why are so many voters frustrated by the US economy? It’s home prices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
BY JOSH BOAK
Updated 11:30 PM GMT+8, March 15, 2024

The United States is slogging through a housing affordability crisis that was decades in the making. At the root of this problem: America failed to build enough homes for its growing population. The shortage strikes at the heart of the American dream of homeownership — dampening President Joe Biden’s assurances that the U.S. economy is strong and underscoring the degree to which Republican Donald Trump, the former president and presumptive GOP nominee for 2024, has largely overlooked the shortage.

The lack of housing has caused a record number of renters to devote an excessive amount of income to housing

Average mortgage rates have more than doubled

“I’ve been doing housing work for 30 years — the housing affordability challenge is the worst I’ve ever seen in my career,” said Shaun Donovan, a former secretary of Housing and Urban Development in the Obama years who now leads the nonprofit Enterprise Community Partners.

“It is a first-tier issue almost everywhere,” he said. “And that is changing the national politics around it in a way that I think is quite different than I’ve ever seen.”

Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Analytics, said that the outcome of the November election could ultimately depend on the path of 30-year mortgage rates.

Rates currently average about 6.74%. If they dropped closer to 6%, the odds of a Biden victory would increase. But rates moving near 8% might enable Trump to prevail, Zandi said.

Lower rates might play well with voters, but most economists say they would at best offer temporary financial relief. Purchase prices would likely adjust upward in response to greater demand from falling rates.

“Even as incomes are going up and the economy is doing well and inflation is coming down, people can’t buy homes,” said Daryl Fairweather, chief economist at the brokerage Redfin. “That’s like the biggest problem for Biden because it’s not one that he can solve.”

https://apnews.com/article/biden-inflati...370c529d33
I would also be frustrated to see 2 Crazy Old men fighting to be president, again. Big Grin 

[Image: L230426c-small_0.jpg]
Well, they are helping to Make Assmerica GREAT Again!  Clapping
The easiest solution to property prices all over the world is...

Only 1 property to 1 person. No multiple ownership even trust not allowed. Done.