SG Talk

Full Version: Why incentives aren’t working for falling fertility rates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(03-05-2024, 08:23 AM)forum456 Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.channelnewsasia.com/podcasts...er-4300026

This is not rocket science.  SG is the most expensive city in the world, overcrowded, private housing is unaffordable to 80% of residents and 89% are priced out of owning cars.  Who wants to bring children into this troubled country where the quality of life is so damn low? 
(03-05-2024, 09:02 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote: [ -> ]This is not rocket science.  SG is the most expensive city in the world, overcrowded, private housing is unaffordable to 80% of residents and 89% are priced out of owning cars.  Who wants to bring children into this troubled country where the quality of life is so damn low? 

for more than 20 years, public media refuse to publish real the root cause .

Sgbuffet is a typical Singaporean who has explained umpteen times why he remains single.
there are hundreds of thousands locals like him.

as long as public media refuse to publish the real root cause, PAP cannot acknowledge the real root cause.
The incentives given are not enough to encourage couples to conceive. The costs of having and bringing up children is for at least 25 years far outweighs the incentives.
Plus the is no guarantee that the future generations of Singaporeans can find decent occupations with the influx of FTs and CECAs to take over the jobs of locals.
(03-05-2024, 09:46 AM)surfer Wrote: [ -> ]The incentives given are not enough to encourage couples to conceive. The costs of having and bringing up children is for at least 25 years far outweighs the incentives.
Plus the is no guarantee that the future generations of Singaporeans can find decent occupations with the influx of FTs and CECAs to take over the jobs of locals.

you are spot on.
one number concern is permanent job.
if the person cannot find permanent job, he cannot think of marriage because marriage cannot be permanent if there is no
permanent job or income.

PAP needs to address this concern first before thinking of falling fertility.
i think they are simply not interested for a solution on this matter.
they simply wanted a quick fix with the least cost incurred.
those incentives are just for wayang.
alway remember the chicken wing story.
(03-05-2024, 10:18 AM)whylah Wrote: [ -> ]i think they are simply not interested for a solution on this matter.
they simply wanted a quick fix with the least cost incurred.
those incentives are just for wayang.
alway remember the chicken wing story.

the 60% are also not interested and continue to support PAP.
it is a ownself kills ownself problem.
(03-05-2024, 09:35 AM)forum456 Wrote: [ -> ]for more than 20 years, public media refuse to publish real the root cause . Sgbuffet is a typical Singaporean who has explained umpteen times why he remains single. there are hundreds of thousands locals like him. as long as public media refuse to publish the real root cause, PAP cannot acknowledge the real root cause.

Goh Chok Tong promised S'poreans a Swiss Standard of Living, but all most citizens have experienced has been the Swiss Cost of Living!
(03-05-2024, 10:27 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote: [ -> ]Goh Chok Tong promised S'poreans a Swiss Standard of Living, but all most citizens have experienced has been the Swiss Cost of Living!

GCK has broken his promise but 60% continued to vote for him.
the root cause is the 60%
(03-05-2024, 10:21 AM)forum456 Wrote: [ -> ]the 60% are also not interested and continue to support PAP.
it is a ownself kills ownself problem.

probably out of the 60%, 50% of it aren’t born here.
now we are outnumbered in every aspects.
Remember the Little India riot, those polices or so called special forces with 1st world weapons have to hide inside the vehicles to protect themselves.
what a shame.
our workforce are similarly outnumbered by foreigners, and worst of all, they are headed by their own village people. those locals working there must have to swallow plenty of their dignity because in there, they only speak their languages.
Who would want to raise their future children’s under such circumstances, maybe except those white horses.
(03-05-2024, 10:18 AM)whylah Wrote: [ -> ]i think they are simply not interested for a solution on this matter.  they simply wanted a quick fix with the least cost incurred.  those incentives are just for wayang. alway remember the chicken wing story.
[Image: Chicken-Wings.jpg]
(03-05-2024, 11:43 AM)whylah Wrote: [ -> ]probably out of the 60%, 50% of it aren’t born here.  now we are outnumbered in every aspects. Remember the Little India riot, those polices or so called special forces with 1st world weapons have to hide inside the vehicles to protect themselves. what a shame. our workforce are similarly outnumbered by foreigners, and worst of all, they are headed by their own village people. those locals working there must have to swallow plenty of their dignity because in there, they only speak their languages. Who would want to raise their future children’s under such circumstances, maybe except those white horses.

Whoever is responsible for this sad state of affairs has committed treason. Jobs for foreigners, NS for local men and pay hike for Ministers. This is S'pore today!  
(03-05-2024, 10:32 AM)forum456 Wrote: [ -> ]GCK has broken his promise but 60% continued to vote for him. the root cause is the 60%

The 60% consist of new citizens and those lowly educated seniors who think that the govt is giving them money when it has been taken from their children and then passed onto the elderly.
(03-05-2024, 09:02 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote: [ -> ]This is not rocket science.  SG is the most expensive city in the world, overcrowded, private housing is unaffordable to 80% of residents and 89% are priced out of owning cars.  Who wants to bring children into this troubled country where the quality of life is so damn low? 

If that 89% own a car, what do you think will happen to our roads? Are you representative of the 39% who shoot their mouth off without thinking?
AI is replacing human work. why we need so many human? to pay who millions of salary??? just wonder... hmmmm
(03-05-2024, 01:03 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote: [ -> ]The 60% consist of new citizens and those lowly educated seniors who think that the govt is giving them money when it has been taken from their children and then passed onto the elderly.

Indeed new citizens are a significant proportion of our youth. 

Do not assume that all old folks are married and that those who are married made a lot of babies.

Sgbuffet is 40 this year. He's an only child. Two parents but only one child. If we don't take in one new citizen, we will become extinct after two generations. 

Talent is in her 60s, and single.. she is not even replacing herself. Nor is Sgbuffet btw.

And you say the government is taking from young new citizens to give to the old farts?
(03-05-2024, 02:20 PM)Oyk Wrote: [ -> ]If that 89% own a car, what do you think will happen to our roads? Are you representative of the 39% who shoot their mouth off without thinking?

You have misunderstood me. I do not advocate that 89% of the resident population be able to afford cars. As a car owner, I am aware of peak hour traffic jams whenever I drive to work and return home. However, we cannot deny that most S'poreans have aspirations to own a private residence and car, the fact that only a small minority are able to do so has resulted in the present widespread discontent.  
(03-05-2024, 03:31 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote: [ -> ]You have misunderstood me. I do not advocate that 89% of the resident population be able to afford cars. As a car owner, I am aware of peak hour traffic jams whenever I drive to work and return home. However, we cannot deny that most S'poreans have aspirations to own a private residence and car, the fact that only a small minority are able to do so has resulted in the present widespread discontent.  

Singapore is only 720 sq km small.

Discontent or not, we were born in this little red dot.  This is not PAP's fault.

The sooner the 39% get this in their head, the better...
(03-05-2024, 03:31 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote: [ -> ]You have misunderstood me. I do not advocate that 89% of the resident population be able to afford cars. As a car owner, I am aware of peak hour traffic jams whenever I drive to work and return home. However, we cannot deny that most S'poreans have aspirations to own a private residence and car, the fact that only a small minority are able to do so has resulted in the present widespread discontent.  

There's no way to fulfill everyone's aspirations. One either try ways and means to achieve one's aspirations or just be contented with present. It's useless to complain. Not going to change anything. Changing the govt also will not help people reach their aspirations if they are too far away from their aspirations. People should wake up and be more down to earth.
A sure work solution is to allow men to marry 2 wives?
Better not have kids than to have them and have to starve them.
(03-05-2024, 07:14 PM)winbig Wrote: [ -> ]There's no way to fulfill everyone's aspirations. One either try ways and means to achieve one's aspirations or just be contented with present. It's useless to complain. Not going to change anything. Changing the govt also will not help people reach their aspirations if they are too far away from their aspirations. People should wake up and be more down to earth.

The discontent is coming from the marginal private property and car owners - not from the masses who have no conceivable way of escaping from the HDB heartlands and reliance on public transport.   
(03-05-2024, 02:26 PM)Oyk Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed new citizens are a significant proportion of our youth. Do not assume that all old folks are married and that those who are married made a lot of babies. Sgbuffet is 40 this year. He's an only child. Two parents but only one child. If we don't take in one new citizen, we will become extinct after two generations.  Talent is in her 60s, and single.. she is not even replacing herself. Nor is Sgbuffet btw. And you say the government is taking from young new citizens to give to the old farts?

I am in my 50s so I am qualified to state that I have uncles and aunts in their 70s and 80s who support the ruling party because of the CDC and GST vouchers going their way, which is paid from their taxpaying children in their 40s, 50s and 60s who are still economically productive. I didn't make any sweeping assumptions, but you most definitely did! Hahaha!
(03-05-2024, 02:20 PM)Oyk Wrote: [ -> ]If that 89% own a car, what do you think will happen to our roads? Are you representative of the 39% who shoot their mouth off without thinking?

Build more and wider roads lor. Either underground or overground. Now you can see that parking facilities are mostly underground in tall buildings. So they can build roads underground easily
(04-05-2024, 01:12 PM)klat Wrote: [ -> ]Build more and wider roads lor. Either underground or overground. Now you can see that parking facilities are mostly underground in tall buildings. So they can build roads underground easily

Our overrated, overhyped and overpaid Ministers cannot think out of the box. They have no idea how to increase productivity either so they invite wealthy foreigners to open family offices in SG, and buy freehold properties and cars after giving them PR and citizenship. The result is that S'poreans are priced out of both private residential properties and cars in our own country.  Our leaders have committed treason.
(03-05-2024, 07:57 PM)mikotan Wrote: [ -> ]A sure work solution is to allow men to marry 2 wives?

China Emperor back palace got 3000. 2 is too little.
(04-05-2024, 01:04 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote: [ -> ]I am in my 50s so I am qualified to state that I have uncles and aunts in their 70s and 80s who support the ruling party because of the CDC and GST vouchers going their way, which is paid from their taxpaying children in their 40s, 50s and 60s who are still economically productive. I didn't make any sweeping assumptions, but you most definitely did! Hahaha!

Kindly go and ask your mother which part of my post was an assumption and at the same time, kindly ask your neighbour's maid which part of my post made you Hahaha. Rolleyes
(03-05-2024, 01:03 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote: [ -> ]The 60% consist of new citizens and those lowly educated seniors who think that the govt is giving them money when it has been taken from their children and then passed onto the elderly.
All these elderlies are only enjoying the present sweetened goodies. They are too dumb not to understand they are destroying their future younger generations.
Even if we work and want to survive with Dignity, the Govt slam it down with “No one owes you a Living”. Anyone who listens to them must be mad.

Yet PAP insists on giving FTs good jobs with high pay

So, did they give birth to 3 children 

where Family can apply for PRs as one application??