SG Talk

Full Version: What the Pho: How to Pronounce Vietnamese Last Name Nguyen?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nguyen = 阮。

Vietnamese abandoned Chinese characters and lost the ability to study their history and literature which were written in Chinese characters.

Same as Koreans.
(08-12-2021, 10:58 PM)cityhantam Wrote: [ -> ]Vietnamese abandoned Chinese characters and lost the ability to study their history and literature which were written in Chinese characters.

Same as Koreans.

No leh. Sometimes I think Korea is even more traditional  Chinese dan modern tiongs. Their names and surnames are written in Chinese even if the phonetics is in Korean. They are beri proud of their ancestry and their lineage records are written in Chinese. They oso claim Confucius and Xishi as their own and have a beri strong Confucian background. I've even met a few Korean who told me they were descendents of Qin Shi Huang [dunno whether true or not but he actually got some physical resemblance to the ancient painting of the emperor. Their traditional medicine and tiongs' oso sama sama eg Korean Ginseng is more famous dan China's. Due to Tiongkok many wars and revolutions, the China today has lost alot more of its traditional culture and artefacts compared to Korea.
(09-12-2021, 02:22 AM)luncheonmeat Wrote: [ -> ]No leh. Sometimes I think Korea is even more traditional  Chinese dan modern tiongs. Their names and surnames are written in Chinese even if the phonetics is in Korean. They are beri proud of their ancestry and their lineage records are written in Chinese. They oso claim Confucius and Xishi as their own and have a beri strong Confucian background. I've even met a few Korean who told me they were descendents of Qin Shi Huang [dunno whether true or not but he actually got some physical resemblance to the ancient painting of the emperor. Their traditional medicine and tiongs' oso sama sama eg Korean Ginseng is more famous dan China's. Due to Tiongkok many wars and revolutions, the China today has lost alot more of its traditional culture and artefacts compared to Korea.

You watched too much of Korean drama!  Laughing