SG Talk

Full Version: Couple quits jobs to travel the world. No kids? Then claw back HDB subsidies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://www.asiaone.com/lifestyle/we-are...ars-saving

They prefer to quit job to travel round the world. Do they have kids? Selfish lifestyle, just want to enjoy life, refuse to make sacrifice to have kids?

Of course, it's their life choice but this is a bad social trend if it catches on.

I will suggest to government to claw back all HDB subsidies they enjoy. HDB was eligible for them to purchase as a couple but they refuse to have kids. Then what's the use of granting them subsidies to buy HDB? This policy should be applied to every childless but able-bodied couples who deliberately choose not to have kids. You are free not to have kids but your subsidies must be clawed back. You need to pay the price for your choices.

I hope government takes up this suggestion.
(08-01-2022, 06:28 PM)luifd Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.asiaone.com/lifestyle/we-are...ars-saving

They prefer to quit job to travel round the world. Do they have kids? Selfish lifestyle, just want to enjoy life, refuse to make sacrifice to have kids?

Of course, it's their life choice but this is a bad social trend if it catches on.

I will suggest to government to claw back all HDB subsidies they enjoy. HDB was eligible for them to purchase as a couple but they refuse to have kids. Then what's the use of granting them subsidies to buy HDB? This policy should be applied to every childless but able-bodied couples who deliberately choose not to have kids. You are free not to have kids but your subsidies must be clawed back. You need to pay the price for your choices.

I hope government takes up this suggestion.
If the couple don't want to have kids, then travelling around the world is a good idea, rather than gamble the money away...
I also suggest something similar before but via the HDB grant. Instead of clawback, the grant to married couples should not be given upfront, but initially as HDB loan. For every kid the couple has, $30k loan is inverted to grant. Just for example, so that a childless couple gets the same treatment as a single.
Eat air.

Waste time and money.
(08-01-2022, 07:31 PM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]Eat air.

Waste time and money.
Life is about experience, something money cannot buy.

Waste time and money.

U r such a dumbfark yet u dont even know. Laughing
(08-01-2022, 07:27 PM)starbugs Wrote: [ -> ]I also suggest something similar before but via the HDB grant. Instead of clawback, the grant to married couples should not be given upfront, but initially as HDB loan. For every kid the couple has, $30k loan is inverted to grant. Just for example, so that a childless couple gets the same treatment as a single.

Stoopid idea

Waste time and money.

they have spare time and spare money.

if don't use, then truely wasted.
So many people have the concept to make as much money as possible and when old can travel around the world.
When old, got money but no energy.
(08-01-2022, 09:18 PM)Migrant Wrote: [ -> ]So many people have the concept to make as much money as possible and when old can travel around the world.
When old, got money but no energy.
At age 62, it is still with energy to travel the world.  After 62, the body slowly deteriorate....
People have the freedom of choice of the life they want to live.   

Each individual is entitle to live the life they want. Who are we to impose your will on others. Should a couple could not afford to raise a child, are you going to support them?
(08-01-2022, 07:47 PM)Migrant Wrote: [ -> ]Life is about experience, something money cannot buy.

Experience means what? You go consume, sights and sounds and food. It is just entertainment. After you come back what did you achieve? How is this different from watching a movie, splurging on an expensive HDL meal, ...just entertainmentand more expensive.

There are better ways to use your money to it mprove yourself and the society you live in. The same money can help others in need.
Aiya red eyes lah....
Don’t be a housing and $$$ slaves…. Rotfl
You only live once.
Life has many things to do.
Don’t chase after $$$, you are wasting your precious life. You won’t bring them to next life.
做人千万别留下遗憾。
Go and complete whatever things you want to do in life, then your life will be complete.
(09-01-2022, 12:03 AM)hayabusa32 Wrote: [ -> ]Each individual is entitle to live the life they want. Who are we to impose your will on others. Should a couple could not afford to raise a child, are you going to support them?

Very true.  I agree  Clapping Clapping

Going by the same logic of imposing our will on others, then we might as well impose an additional tax on those who do not have tertiary education, with the argument that they are not better able to contribute economically to the nation by virtue of their education, or lack of it. Meaning they can’t shoulder their burden as well compared to others who have had a better education. 

And thus we are going down the slippery path of no return, and opening tonnes of cans of slithery worms. Where will it end? Big Grin

Live and let live, I say.
(09-01-2022, 05:11 AM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]Experience means what? You go consume, sights and sounds and food. It is just entertainment. After you come back what did you achieve? How is this different from watching a movie, splurging on an expensive HDL meal, ...just entertainmentand more expensive.

There are better ways to use your money to it mprove yourself and the society you live in. The same money can help others in need.

Damn farking cok thinking.

So u want to make love....I mean the real thing....u just go watch a movie? No difference right?
(09-01-2022, 05:11 AM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]Experience means what? You go consume, sights and sounds and food. It is just entertainment. After you come back what did you achieve? How is this different from watching a movie, splurging on an expensive HDL meal, ...just entertainmentand more expensive.

U r just a 井底之蛙. Movies are fictional lah. U go other countries and live there and gain life experiences. Those are real.
(09-01-2022, 08:04 AM)winbig Wrote: [ -> ]U r just a 井底之蛙. Movies are fictional lah. U go other countries and live there and gain life experiences. Those are real.

I have been to Taiwan before.
I think the claim that you can learn culture, lives of others by going on tour is overrated....

When I met Singaporeans there, all they care about os eating and shopping. Something they can already do in Singapore.

I think some people travel so they can boast to others they have been here and there...

I got those cousins like to always say during Chinese New year that they were sent to US and UK or Europe etc. I always joking reply "sorry to hear that ".
(09-01-2022, 09:09 AM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]I have been to Taiwan before.
I think the claim that you can learn culture, lives of others by going on tour is overrated....

When I met Singaporeans there, all they care about os eating and shopping. Something they can already do in Singapore.

I think some people travel so they can boast to others they have been here and there...

I got those cousins like to always say during Chinese New year that they were sent to US and UK or Europe etc. I always joking reply "sorry to hear that ".

U go by tour of course cannot experience much. Tour only go there for a few days only. U got to live there not go for tour. Really frog in the well.
(09-01-2022, 08:04 AM)winbig Wrote: [ -> ]U r just a 井底之蛙. Movies are fictional lah. U go other countries and live there and gain life experiences. Those are real.

Will learn something and appreciate the world better. 
But must admit many experiences not applicable here.
(08-01-2022, 07:27 PM)starbugs Wrote: [ -> ]I also suggest something similar before but via the HDB grant. Instead of clawback, the grant to married couples should not be given upfront, but initially as HDB loan. For every kid the couple has, $30k loan is inverted to grant. Just for example, so that a childless couple gets the same treatment as a single.

Good suggestion. Since all birth registering is tied to a residential address. Don't never need to apply for the grant but given once the kid is born.
(09-01-2022, 12:03 AM)hayabusa32 Wrote: [ -> ]Each individual is entitle to live the life they want. Who are we to impose your will on others. Should a couple could not afford to raise a child, are you going to support them?

Totally agree on individual rights. At the same time, public housing has given priority to couples not for a place to F...k and party but for them to build a family and have kids. The housing policy is skewed towards that and so should not be a loophole for people to make profit or gain without doing national service.

Want a DINK lifestyle, buy a private house you can easily afford.
(09-01-2022, 09:40 AM)Sticw Wrote: [ -> ]Good suggestion. Since all birth registering is tied to a residential address. Don't never need to apply for the grant but given once the kid is born.

I think should stick to the status  quo...

This approach also helps HDB understand the what is truly affordable. Affordability has to be before any given grant, else the grants upfront actually mask the effect of price and cost of living in sg. If majority of USB flats were purchased ex grants, yet all other secondary market pricing and even property tax is on the inflated prices... Only the people suffer more and more... Lol
(09-01-2022, 10:29 AM)Sticw Wrote: [ -> ]This approach also helps HDB understand the what is truly affordable. Affordability has to be before any given grant, else the grants upfront actually mask the effect of price and cost of living in sg. If majority of USB flats were purchased ex grants, yet all other secondary market pricing and even property tax is on the inflated prices... Only the people suffer more and more... Lol

Finally it is the citizens who will suffer....
(09-01-2022, 09:54 AM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]I think should stick to the status  quo...

If want to promote birth rate, should give free education from kindergarten to primary.
(09-01-2022, 10:38 AM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]Finally it is the citizens who will suffer....

Why is my nick changed from debono to "they  must"....?
(09-01-2022, 09:37 AM)winbig Wrote: [ -> ]U go by tour of course cannot experience much. Tour only go there for a few days only. U got to live there not go for tour. Really frog in the well.

I did not go by tour. Whether by tour or not we are just sight seeing then come home. We don't have to make it out to be much more than what it really is.
Aiya, some people just don't enjoy traveling. I personally do. Don't need to argue over it.
Pages: 1 2