SG Talk

Full Version: What is best hedge against inflation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can tell me?
Don’t put $$$ in the bank. Rotfl
(21-01-2022, 01:19 PM)5354 Wrote: [ -> ][Image: M9SOnF5.png]
I know your idea before you tell me. Any rare item that can be easily sold at auction.
I have an antique expert friend. He told me some specific items do not buy and keep at home.
I think freehold property (not HDB) is a good item for hedging against inflation but must be prepared to hold for long term. Must bear in mind cannot be easily liquidated.

Next is gold physical bars if the price is right.
buy the stronger or strongest currencies against yr own country currency

pay in advance if allow

i tried to pay town council max 1 yr s&c but staff says the adv payment will not protect me fr any increase,still need to top.

i h a feeling next increase after 9% gst is s& c
(21-01-2022, 02:48 PM)talky Wrote: [ -> ]buy the stronger or strongest currencies against yr own country currency

pay in advance if allow

i tried to pay town council max 1 yr s&c but staff says the adv payment will not protect me fr any increase,still need to top.

i h a feeling next increase after 9% gst is s& c

You want but life time one payment like the lifetime membership in California fitness last time?
The answer is not so simple as I depends on nature of the inflation duration and causes.

If inflation is cause by housing and rental shooting up obviously the best place to be is housing.
But in 2012 inflation was caused by oil prices obviously you want to be in oil stocks....but if you have stayed on oil crashed taking the stocks down as the inflation did not last.

If you talk about current inflation it won't last because Fed is going to raise interest rate. So it may be counter productive as prices have already gone up and may not rise more.

Long term protect yourself always by diversifying to various asset classes. The best one for long term has been stocks.

The Fed printed a lot of money but we know after financial crisis they did the same thing and money went go financial assets ...and did not create hyperinflation. 

This time it is the same as 2010. Basically they made some people filthy rich. Then followed by one off big inflation. Then inflation disappear ( oil price collapse, steel collapse, ..etc).

Now I see rivers of $$$ moving to China/HK. Why? As Fed js tightening...the China side is forced to ease interest rate and inject $$ to boost economy.

So you ask me where to put money. The answer is simple
HK and China.
(21-01-2022, 01:53 PM)Huliwang Wrote: [ -> ]I think freehold property (not HDB) is a good item for hedging against inflation but must be prepared to hold for long term. Must bear in mind cannot be easily liquidated.

Next is gold physical bars if the price is right.

Good suggestion........
(21-01-2022, 12:18 PM)dynamite Wrote: [ -> ]Can tell me?

For long term, for old age, I am counting on freehold properties mainly. I am into stocks as well recently but small scale.
yes many hk stocks has hit bottom .
(22-01-2022, 12:04 PM)talky Wrote: [ -> ]yes many hk stocks has hit bottom .

I already bought and I am sitting on 30% paper gain.
anything that produces an income that can grow with inflation is a good hedge.
rental, inflation link bond, telco with little debt and pay good dividend, banks, utilities, infra business etc
(22-01-2022, 05:53 PM)sclim Wrote: [ -> ]anything that produces an income that can grow with inflation is a good hedge.
rental, inflation link bond, telco with little debt and pay good dividend, banks, utilities, infra business etc

A good suggestion....