SG Talk

Full Version: Global Food Prices Surge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 214-F14-E1-DA94-44-CB-8-DED-45-A8-A07924-CC.jpg]
More increase coming!
Ours is indirect impact of food price surge

But already gone up by 10 to 25%

One grandpa was staring hard at his can food. He said his favourite Ayam Sardine inside only has 3 fish was $2.50 is now $2.90. Increase 15%.

My mum's favourite Dragonfly salt pickle from China was 90 cents and now $1.25. Gone up by 38%.
(14-03-2022, 04:20 PM)cityhantam Wrote: [ -> ]More increase coming!

Write:

1.  I think more increase are coming.

2. I would be worried if more increases are coming.

3.  Will more increase be coming?

All are valid, reasonable and have a tinge of humility.

Do not write "More increase (sic) coming" as though you are the one setting food prices all over the world, and you are qualified to make that assertion.
(15-03-2022, 11:31 AM)Ola Wrote: [ -> ]Ours is indirect impact of food price surge

But already gone up by 10 to 25%

One grandpa was staring hard at his can food. He said his favourite Ayam Sardine inside only has 3 fish was $2.50 is now $2.90. Increase 15%.

My mum's favourite Dragonfly salt pickle from China was 90 cents and now $1.25. Gone up by 38%.

It does hit this group of senior citizens more because they are retirees who have to dig deeper into their savings.

Young people who are still working can "hint" to their bosses to give them a bigger salary increment....so they are not so hard hit, if at all.

Of course, this merry go round price increase will only lead to cost-push inflation.  If you earn $100 a month but mee pok is 3 cent, and now you earn $200 but mee pok is 6 cents...you reduce both to the lowest denominator, it is the same.  It's just a bigger set of numbers.

It is the ah gong and ah ma who used to earn $100 who now have to pay 6 cents for mee pok who are hit hard.  It is this group of senior citizens whom I hope the government would give some help.
Singapore raising GST next year and year after.
(15-03-2022, 11:59 AM)limkopi Wrote: [ -> ]Singapore raising GST next year and year after.

And giving GST rebates to Singaporeans.....

(You wrote half the truth, I wrote the other half).
(15-03-2022, 11:59 AM)limkopi Wrote: [ -> ]Singapore raising GST next year and year after.

But what is the percentage of increase in GST next year and the year after.....?
Would govt consider reducing GST instead to help the poor?