SG Talk

Full Version: Parents swap and sell home-made baby formula amidst acute shortage in US
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
By JOSH BOAK and PAT EATON-ROBB
58 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden stepped up his administration’s response to a nationwide baby formula shortage Thursday that has forced frenzied parents into online groups to swap and sell to each other to keep their babies fed.

The problem is the result of supply chain disruptions and a safety recall, and has had a cascade of effects: Retailers are limiting what customers can buy, and doctors and health workers are urging parents to contact food banks or physicians’ offices, in addition to warning against watering down formula to stretch supplies or using online DIY recipes.

The shortage is weighing particularly on lower-income families after the recall by formula maker Abbott, stemming from contamination concerns. The recall wiped out many brands covered by WIC, a federal program like food stamps that serves women, infants and children

“She has no formula,” she said. “I just put her on regular milk. What do I do? Her pediatrician made it clear I’m not supposed to be doing that, but what do I do?”

Much better to read full report at: https://apnews.com/article/biden-covid-h...58d4348348