SG Talk

Full Version: Spotify listeners complain after Mandarin song titles translated to English
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Grace Yeoh
19 Jul 2022 07:30PM
(Updated: 19 Jul 2022 07:30PM)

SINGAPORE: Some Spotify users in Singapore have threatened to quit the audio streaming service after noticing that Mandarin or Cantopop song titles have been translated to English or replaced with names in hanyu pinyin.

Spotify told CNA on Tuesday (Jul 19) that it is working on restoring the translated song titles back to their native language over the next few days.

One listener said most of the song titles are now "not recognisable", and that the change was "a dealbreaker" despite being a Spotify Premium user.

Several listeners agreed, saying they might switch to Apple Music if Spotify does not undo the change. Others lamented being unable to find the song they wanted with the translated title

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...in-2820276
Oh yes, didn’t know what JJ Lin’s songs I put in my playlist were after they were translated into English. 不为谁作的歌 became Twilight lol.
Language and culture influence (brainwash) you over time. Nothing wrong with the attempt to keep you in English mode since Spotify is angmo mah.
I just checked. Still Chinese for most the song titles leh!
But some are in English. Shd feedback to them.
(20-07-2022, 07:43 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote: [ -> ]I just checked. Still Chinese for most the song titles leh!
But some are in English. Shd feedback to them.

I think they are in the process of changing back the titles to the original names.
[Image: D6-D4-A066-891-D-44-DF-A2-AD-C631-DDBC8-A27.png]
胆小鬼 becomes Coward

[Image: EE98-D8-F8-9-BD6-4350-AA25-C5-A0-E518-C7-BD.jpg]
i find these days spotify quite intrusive will stop n delete service soon
(20-07-2022, 08:12 AM)menghuii Wrote: [ -> ]i find these days spotify quite intrusive will stop n delete service soon

Agree. There was 1 time I never click any selection on Indian song. My spotify display mostly shown indian songs. It takes sometimes for me to remove them away. 

Not sure what actually happen?
太难唱了 was translated to Delusions in English.
Seems like certain artistes are more affected by this change. Many of JJ Lin songs, Stephanie Sun’s songs, Jay Chou latest songs...
Looks like some of the songs have been changed back to the original Mandarin titles.