SG Talk

Full Version: Why do Our NTU/NUS graduates end up driving Uber/Grab?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The government likes to proudly show off the rankings of our schools, in particular that of NUS and NTU. Of course, it serves to demonstrate everyone should aspire to secure degrees from these schools so as to ensure they get good jobs et cetera.

Recently, I attended a Private Hire Car Driver's Vocational Licence (PDVL) training; here's a shocking fact I discovered when my curious self went around surveying for a bit - many of the folks attending the classes were ex-PMETs from polytechnics, NTU and NUS! A lot of them previously were in computer science, electrical and civil engineering jobs before being replaced. I counted a handful of them in their 30s and while most were in their 40s. There were also some fresh graduates who could not land jobs yet and so resorted to driving to earn a living. Dear lord! You mean to say our graduates from these top schools in Asia couldn't find proper employment?! One of the common reasons supplied was that too many foreigners were plying the same trade as them and at considerably lower salaries. In other words, a huge quantity of electrical engineering jobs going instead to Indians FTs and civil engineering jobs snagged by Filipinos.

The clowns at the top echelons of our G are always boasting about the country attaining GDP growth, oh come on even the dumb would know GDP growth can be achieved by importing vast quantities of foreign labour. Ooooh yes that means millions of foreigners, and here's a fun fact: our population is supposed to only hit 7 million by 2030 yet we are already nearing the 6 million mark, mind you this is only 2018. The doors are thrown wide open to the rest of the world, in the process causing so many locals to become underemployed or unemployed. While the government constantly publishes reports about how awesome the Singapore education system is, they prefer to go around hiring cheap labour with dubious academic credentials from third world countries.

Many of our locals live in HDB dwellings and are thus saddled with enormous housing loans; without jobs to fund their debts and living expenses , they are left with little choice but to force themselves to become private hire car drivers. When autonomous vehicles finally arrive at the scene in a big way, what then next? Take an elevator to the tallest floor of Marina Bay Sands Hotel tower and contemplate "migrating" to the netherworld?

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2018/01/...nd-up.html
Jobs not stolen by FTs ? Thinking
Becauze its the ONLY JOB foreigners cannot take over here.
the school forgot to teach the students how to innovate in the face of a changing world/environment
cookie cutter bookworm, factory stamp school system cannot cope with the new world
Because N tu courses are not updated and basically they study very basic and theory only.

If your father or mother had gone through one of the courses, you as children may study the same subjects and topics if you attend the same course. Basically you will do the same lab exp and projects and study the same topics. Can actually used your parents notes.

Lol
Because they were misled into chasing their "passion" instead enrolling for the course which has good market value!

I have a friend's daughter who did a degree in life science in Australia. After spending so much money, she couldn't find a job. At the end she took up an offer for radiographer and enrolled for a diploma course which guaranteed her a job in the hospital.
the govt collects data n stats
but they dont look at it at your angle
but aee what they want to see based on
their targets n objectives.

so when pmets lost many jobs to ft,
they only read that as to be reskilled!

they didnt even know many pmet went grab much less to understand why graduates go for phv. for all u know they cld be thinking young uni graduates are lazy so how to expect them to realise that our edu inst has failed!

when mom n edb targets were to meet foreign investment needs n ft came in droves to fulfill that,
the fallout was just too bad so long as a min number of sinkiis were employed.

and isnt that the equation?
ft creates job for locals?
Are you kidding?

If this is true, then MOE has successfully set quota on our varsities like IT grads. They will use such promising set of the same quota again every year, so that they can issue more Employment Pass.

This Govt has been very bad for too long.
(07-09-2021, 06:17 PM)5354 Wrote: [ -> ]There are about a million FTs in Singapore who contribute to the income of PHV drivers

Without these FTs our jobless PMETs no chance to earn $5K to $6K a month in an air con seat

They will whine new local graduates stole their job

Fcuking whiners!

You mean FTs can only come here to create such jobs? This is unfortunate for us. Why did we end up in such a pathetic state?

And how do you know if half of the PHV drivers earn  $5k or $6k a mth? Can you show me some data?

Because my cousin do not earn that much.
(07-09-2021, 07:44 PM)Symmetry Wrote: [ -> ]You mean FTs can only come here to create such jobs? This is unfortunate for us. Why did we end up in such a pathetic state?

And how do you know if half of the PHV drivers earn  $5k or $6k a mth? Can you show me some data?

Because my cousin do not earn that much.

I doubt PHV drivers can earn $5K or 6K a month.  That is the average PHV drivers can rake in only $3K per month
(07-09-2021, 05:38 PM)pinkypanther Wrote: [ -> ]The government likes to proudly show off the rankings of our schools, in particular that of NUS and NTU. Of course, it serves to demonstrate everyone should aspire to secure degrees from these schools so as to ensure they get good jobs et cetera.

Recently, I attended a Private Hire Car Driver's Vocational Licence (PDVL) training; here's a shocking fact I discovered when my curious self went around surveying for a bit - many of the folks attending the classes were ex-PMETs from polytechnics, NTU and NUS! A lot of them previously were in computer science, electrical and civil engineering jobs before being replaced. I counted a handful of them in their 30s and while most were in their 40s. There were also some fresh graduates who could not land jobs yet and so resorted to driving to earn a living. Dear lord! You mean to say our graduates from these top schools in Asia couldn't find proper employment?! One of the common reasons supplied was that too many foreigners were plying the same trade as them and at considerably lower salaries. In other words, a huge quantity of electrical engineering jobs going instead to Indians FTs and civil engineering jobs snagged by Filipinos.

The clowns at the top echelons of our G are always boasting about the country attaining GDP growth, oh come on even the dumb would know GDP growth can be achieved by importing vast quantities of foreign labour. Ooooh yes that means millions of foreigners, and here's a fun fact: our population is supposed to only hit 7 million by 2030 yet we are already nearing the 6 million mark, mind you this is only 2018. The doors are thrown wide open to the rest of the world, in the process causing so many locals to become underemployed or unemployed. While the government constantly publishes reports about how awesome the Singapore education system is, they prefer to go around hiring cheap labour with dubious academic credentials from third world countries.

Many of our locals live in HDB dwellings and are thus saddled with enormous housing loans; without jobs to fund their debts and living expenses , they are left with little choice but to force themselves to become private hire car drivers. When autonomous vehicles finally arrive at the scene in a big way, what then next? Take an elevator to the tallest floor of Marina Bay Sands Hotel tower and contemplate "migrating" to the netherworld?

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2018/01/...nd-up.html
Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
(07-09-2021, 07:58 PM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt PHV drivers can earn $5K or 6K a month.  That is the average PHV drivers can rake in only $3K per month

Yes. 

If this is MOEs plan to make locals PHV drivers by setting such low fetch annual quotas so that we owe FTs A Living, then this is a IMMORAL Govt.

This is a bad Govt.
(07-09-2021, 06:25 PM)cityhantam Wrote: [ -> ]Because they were misled into chasing their "passion" instead enrolling for the course which has good market value!

I have a friend's daughter who did a degree in life science in Australia. After spending so much money, she couldn't find a job. At the end she took up an offer for radiographer and enrolled for a diploma course which guaranteed her a job in the hospital.

What do they study at a life sciences course..?
Jobs for foreign traxhes leeches
Grab and Gojek for stinkaporeans 

[Image: 23fc4a6d-3f04-470b-973c-b668a1ed5a65.jpg]
(07-09-2021, 06:15 PM)Gstalk Wrote: [ -> ]Because N tu courses are not updated and basically they study very basic and theory only.

If your father or mother had gone through one of the courses, you as children may study the same subjects and topics if you attend the same course. Basically you will do the same lab exp and projects and study the same topics. Can actually used your parents notes.

Lol

that's true.  a few yrs ago went to the campus bookstores and very surprised that the comp sc and engineering textbooks are still those old and classical ones. no update in decades?
(07-09-2021, 08:41 PM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]What do they study at a life sciences course..?

One of our retired  top fellow said, "wash test-tubes"!  Rotfl
(07-09-2021, 09:36 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote: [ -> ]that's true.  a few yrs ago went to the campus bookstores and very surprised that the comp sc and engineering textbooks are still those old and classical ones. no update in decades?

Not that there're no updates but engineering field is very vast, so the very niche areas are covered by books targeted at a very specific audience. 

Those in campus usually only sell the general engineering books because majority are bought by students. What for bring in the specific books when the sales are bad.
(07-09-2021, 09:42 PM)cityhantam Wrote: [ -> ]One of our retired  top fellow said, "wash test-tubes"!  Rotfl

I can't say he's wrong. Can only blame on the execution which made many of our graduates waste their time taking up these courses.
up up up!
Easy money mah ..$300 daily ..u don't want meh ?