SG Talk

Full Version: CECA never celebrate Deepavali right?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
because is Hindu holiday
Wrong.. They celebrate Dewali..Don't believe, google for Diwali..

Very soon, we will only know it is call Diwali and not Deepavali..
hmm but I see CECA never celebrate come Deepavali
The word "Diwali" is forever tainted by a guy named Ramesh Erramalli..

Let's respect SG's real local Indian festival called Deepavali 

[Image: 219041dcffa0452529a70fb13e0f50a0.png]
(16-10-2022, 02:32 PM)ArielCasper Wrote: [ -> ]Wrong.. They celebrate Dewali..Don't believe, google for Diwali..

Very soon, we will only know it is call Diwali and not Deepavali..

Both Diwali and Deepavali are now being used.

I am not sure if the born here ethnic Indians are happy with that though.

But then again, Lunar New Year is now being call Spring Festival in addition to being called CNY?  In China, when the Lunar New Year comes around, it's spring.  But here?  It's a hot summer and I saw people sweating away when doing visits....

Even our food...we used to call "steamboat" but now the word "hotpot" is replacing it.  In fact, steamboat seems to have vanished from our coffee shops.

Language will morph as the population profile changes with migration.  Cannot be helped.  The Singapore of the 1960s and before....very little of it is now left.  The PG have died, are dying and will be dying soon.  That era is over.
(16-10-2022, 04:18 PM)Manthink Wrote: [ -> ]The word "Diwali" is forever tainted by a guy named Ramesh Erramalli..

https://youtu.be/CRUIf5BLrqo

Welcome back, Manthink.

I think there is no need for you to be an apologist for our local born ethnic Indians. I like you to defend China, the Chinese and the CCP more.  Big Grin
(16-10-2022, 04:18 PM)Manthink Wrote: [ -> ]The word "Diwali" is forever tainted by a guy named Ramesh Erramalli..

https://youtu.be/CRUIf5BLrqo

Really is a total disgrace to sg that such kind of people are imported.
When in Rome, make the Romans do what you do.
The non local ahnehs aka south asians aka northern indian aka ramesh types call it diwali while true blue locals aka tamils aka southern india call it Deepavali Big Grin
(16-10-2022, 04:25 PM)Oyk Wrote: [ -> ]Both Diwali and Deepavali are now being used.

I am not sure if the born here ethnic Indians are happy with that though.

But then again, Lunar New Year is now being call Spring Festival in addition to being called CNY?  In China, when the Lunar New Year comes around, it's spring.  But here?  It's a hot summer and I saw people sweating away when doing visits....

Even our food...we used to call "steamboat" but now the word "hotpot" is replacing it.  In fact, steamboat seems to have vanished from our coffee shops.

Language will morph as the population profile changes with migration.  Cannot be helped.  The Singapore of the 1960s and before....very little of it is now left.  The PG have died, are dying and will be dying soon.  That era is over.
I don't know about you. To me, Lunar New Year is alway Lunar New Year and there is no way I will call it Spring Festival. This is sinkie land and I will call it the way I was brought up.

If sinkie don't even defend our way of calling it, who will??
(16-10-2022, 06:01 PM)p1acebo Wrote: [ -> ]The non local ahnehs aka south asians call it diwali while true blue locals call it Deepavali Big Grin

Southern ah neh will call it deepavali while those fairer northern neh will call it Diwali.
Always use Deepavali when wishing the Tamil because Diwali is the corrupted version of Deepavali. Diwali means becoming bankrupt in Tamil. I supposed it is ok to use Diwali with those non Tamil Indians. .... Rolleyes
(16-10-2022, 04:30 PM)Oyk Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome back, Manthink. I think there is no need for you to be an apologist for our local born ethnic Indians. I like you to defend China, the Chinese and the CCP more.  Big Grin

Don't need to "welcome" me lah - I have always been around to contribute FACTS to SGtalk.

Also don't understand why you try turning  to politics when this is about "Deevapali" - a term has its origin from Tamil language , unlike "Diwali" which is northern indian language Hindi. The good thing is regardless of which ever South Asian language it is called, the same festive is known as "屠妖节" in Chinese. Cool

[Image: SMB-Deepavali-Greeting.jpg]
(16-10-2022, 05:19 PM)whylah Wrote: [ -> ]Really is a total disgrace to sg that such kind of people are imported.

Yeah...when Ramesh uttered in anger "This is Diwali !!" at the security guards, I was like WTF ?! This guy who claims to live in a "$1.5 million condo" behaviour like some Indian chief in a village of untouchables.

From that day on wards, I ensure that I wish my Hindu friends "Happy Deevapali !" ....regardless they are local or not..Just to make a Singaporean point.
(16-10-2022, 08:06 PM)Manthink Wrote: [ -> ]Don't need to "welcome" me lah - I have always been around to contribute FACTS to SGtalk.

Also don't understand why you try turning  to politics when this is about "Deevapali" - a term has its origin from Tamil language , unlike "Diwali" which is northern indian language Hindi. The good thing is regardless of which ever South Asian language it is called, the same festive is known as "屠妖节" in Chinese. Cool

[Image: SMB-Deepavali-Greeting.jpg]

Well, language is a long and tough topic.

For eg, There was a time when people wrote Kong Hei Fat Choy.

Do you still see this being written?

Not in Singapore.

It's now written as Gong Xi Fa Cai.

The new Chinese migrants would have no problem with Gong Xi Fa Cai.  But Kong Hei Fat Choy?  Unless they come from Guangdong or Guangxi, they may not even be able to pronounce it accurately...

So I would expect someone migrating to Singapore from Tamilnadu to still say Deepavali.
(16-10-2022, 06:54 PM)ArielCasper Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know about you. To me, Lunar New Year is alway Lunar New Year and there is no way I will call it Spring Festival. This is sinkie land and I will call it the way I was brought up.

If sinkie don't even defend our way of calling it, who will??

I am impressed by your patriotism for the land that you and I call Singapore.  At the rate we are going you could well be the last man standing, fighting and saying "It's Lunar New Year!"

But the adoption of China's putonghua and the vanished/vanishing use of mother tongues like Hokkien, Cantonese, Teochew, will inevitably bring here the way festivals are being called in Putonghua, and it's chun jie for CNY or LNY. Chun jie is Spring Festival.

You cannot stop that from happening.  If you want to defend our way of calling it, then you need to start with defending the erosion of Chinese dialects in our vernacular.

But be warned, it is a battle you can fight only to lose.
(19-10-2022, 10:03 PM)Oyk Wrote: [ -> ]Well, language is a long and tough topic.  For eg, There was a time when people wrote Kong Hei Fat Choy. Do you still see this being written?
Not in Singapore. It's now written as Gong Xi Fa Cai. The new Chinese migrants would have no problem with Gong Xi Fa Cai.  But Kong Hei Fat Choy?  Unless they come from Guangdong or Guangxi, they may not even be able to pronounce it accurately...So I would expect someone migrating to Singapore from Tamilnadu to still say Deepavali.

Huh? Clearly u remain clueless with the word "dialect" which is not applicable between Tamil and Hindi  language.

"恭喜发财" long existed before SG became independent...and unlike the controversy over "Deevapali" vs "Diwali"...the Chinese-origin phrase has become almost a universal festive greetings regardless of who you are during CNY...which incidentally is celebrated regardless of language domain...
So I am curious why do you consider Language topic as "long and tough" when FACT is both Tamil and Chinese language are 2 of 4 official languages since the birth of this Republc ?

Even the new citizens are made aware of this  - Why aren't you ?
(16-10-2022, 06:01 PM)p1acebo Wrote: [ -> ]The non local ahnehs aka south asians call it diwali while true blue locals call it Deepavali Big Grin

Majority of our SGrean Indians are of Tamil ancestry...and naturally we use "Deevapali" as it is community's language which is based on Sanskrit term for "row of lights".

That's the beauty of understanding the official rational on how we name our national festive seasons..
(20-10-2022, 10:48 AM)Manthink Wrote: [ -> ]Huh? Clearly u remain clueless with the word "dialect" which is not applicable between Tamil and Hindi  language.

"恭喜发财" long existed before SG became independent...and unlike the controversy over "Deevapali" vs "Diwali"...the Chinese-origin phrase has become almost a universal festive greetings regardless of who you are during CNY...which incidentally is celebrated regardless of language domain...
So I am curious why do you consider Language topic as "long and tough" when FACT is both Tamil and Chinese language are 2 of 4 official languages since the birth of this Republc ?

Even the new citizens are made aware of this  - Why aren't you ?

Well, I would not want to argue with you about your mother tongue.  I can safely assume that you know what you are talking about when you talk about Tamils and Deepvali as you, a Tamil Singaporean and presumably a Hindu, would be speaking from the actual experience of living as a Hindu Tamil.
(16-10-2022, 12:34 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote: [ -> ]because is Hindu holiday

no

they celebrate Diwali

Sound like “你爸爸打你”?
(20-10-2022, 11:00 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote: [ -> ]Sound like “你爸爸打你”?

yes 
打你 because you dont allow 爸爸 deep into your valley

[Image: 48d019d2013e6736d2dedae2e705b2f4d206fadf...V_TTW_.jpg]
(20-10-2022, 08:53 PM)Oyk Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I would not want to argue with you about your mother tongue.  I can safely assume that you know what you are talking about when you talk about Tamils and Deepvali as you, a Tamil Singaporean and presumably a Hindu, would be speaking from the actual experience of living as a Hindu Tamil.

Ayoyo! Why does being who I am become part of your story telling ?

My point is very simple - We need to respect SG's existing 4 major communities and how we greed each other during the festive days....

Don't tell us that your ignorance of this basic fact ? Rolleyes
There will be celebration for sure when they rule or conquered Singapore
Do u know hk just made it easy for prc to work there, they pro own peoples
Look at what Singapore do in comparison , self explanatory
(24-10-2022, 02:26 PM)jameslee58@hotmail.com Wrote: [ -> ]Do u know hk just made it easy for prc to work there,  they pro own peoples

HK has how many fellow PRCs to draw on ?
Oops. Many HKers don't consider themselves PRCs still. And don't consider PRCs their own
(24-10-2022, 02:26 PM)jameslee58@hotmail.com Wrote: [ -> ]There will  be celebration for sure when they rule  or conquered Singapore
Do u know hk just made it easy for prc to work there,  they pro own peoples

Nothing wrong with celebrating - what matters is laws and rules of SG is observed.

No alcohol, no fireworks in public places while celebrating Deevapali please.

So tell me what has this got to do with HK since it is part of China ?
(25-10-2022, 01:17 PM)Manthink Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing wrong with celebrating - what matters is laws and rules of SG is observed.

No alcohol, no fireworks in public places while celebrating Deepavali please.

So tell me what has this got to do with HK since it is part of China ?

Speaking of celebrations...Has anyone notice this year Deevapali seems to hv fewer reports of illegal firecrackers and fireworks  ..

Not sure this banner had helped... Big Grin

[Image: dw-gcbanner-231110.jpg]