SG Talk

Full Version: Ah Shan telling the Chinese majority to be sensitive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On white privilege, Mr Shanmugam pointed out that even after the US ended slavery - rooted on the basis of skin colour - differences in institutional treatment of whites and African-Americans continue to persist.

"Some people are now taking that and applying it to Singapore," he said. "If you tell a significant number of Chinese Singaporeans that they enjoy Chinese privilege, they will be perplexed and they will be upset. Because for them, they gave up their university, they gave up Chinese schools, they gave up what is common in every other society when one race is 75 per cent - that (their) language dominates."

At the same time, Mr Shanmugam noted that in every society, being part of the majority brings certain advantages. "But that is not, in my view, the same as privilege. Privilege and structural racism are different from the natural advantages that come from being part of the majority, and some of the disadvantages that come from being part of a minority."

He added: "The majority have to be sensitive. Even when you don't intend to be insensitive, well-meaning words, well-meaning gestures may be offensive at times."

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/y...es-sim-ann
dont care...i just do my jobs and play my stocks...
(24-07-2021, 09:29 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote: [ -> ]On white privilege, Mr Shanmugam pointed out that even after the US ended slavery - rooted on the basis of skin colour - differences in institutional treatment of whites and African-Americans continue to persist.

"Some people are now taking that and applying it to Singapore," he said. "If you tell a significant number of Chinese Singaporeans that they enjoy Chinese privilege, they will be perplexed and they will be upset. Because for them, they gave up their university, they gave up Chinese schools, they gave up what is common in every other society when one race is 75 per cent - that (their) language dominates."

At the same time, Mr Shanmugam noted that in every society, being part of the majority brings certain advantages. "But that is not, in my view, the same as privilege. Privilege and structural racism are different from the natural advantages that come from being part of the majority, and some of the disadvantages that come from being part of a minority."

He added: "The majority have to be sensitive. Even when you don't intend to be insensitive, well-meaning words, well-meaning gestures may be offensive at times."

Can he just STFU? Stop talking about it and let our society adjust ourselves.
Ahneh so boleh in SG? lol
Walaneh!  Confused

Can I take "umbrella"?
(24-07-2021, 09:41 PM)cityhantam Wrote: [ -> ]Walaneh!  Confused

Can I take "umbrella"?

Hamtam him then he will know
Like that minority must be sensitive or not huh?
Did he actually know what happen at that time?
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/i...y-ping-hui

"I grew up with majority blind spot, not Chinese privilege, says actor Tay Ping Hui"
Actually hor the minority has to be more sensitive.

For example, the minority who couldn’t get the last piece of food which was reserved by a majority guy, the minority scream “racist” at the majority sales woman.
I don't understand the claim of Majority privileges. What privileges are they talking about? I don't enjoy any! Nantah was closed, Chinese dialects are disallowed etc! Are these part of majority privileges?
Sham sham .... tell them not to be a overly sensitive strawberries snowflakes
so clever to talk so clever to analyse
why so silly to import so many?
Why sudden have so much stresses emerged?...?

What has changed?
Distraction strategy lah...
(25-07-2021, 11:29 AM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]Why sudden have so much stresses emerged?...?

What has changed?

Because the majority have always been giving way and then being penalise for the smallest things. As the Chinese saying goes, you give an inch they'll want a foot.
The crack is visible. The social cost of mass importation of foreign traxhes. 
The idea of economic gain brought by foreign traxhes which is causing the social strain and pain will end up with a massive economic loss for SG.
Ah Shame can go to he**. He is not qualified to tell anybody cos he himself is a ra**st
(25-07-2021, 11:10 AM)Fit Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand the claim of Majority privileges. What privileges are they talking about? I don't enjoy any! Nantah was closed, Chinese dialects are disallowed etc! Are these part of majority privileges?
Also 3 generations already lost their roots and cultural heritage. Many cannot speak their mother tongue and even despise own race
wow, very smart, one message 2 meaning.
(24-07-2021, 09:36 PM)winbig Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-07-2021, 09:29 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote: [ -> ]On white privilege, Mr Shanmugam pointed out that even after the US ended slavery - rooted on the basis of skin colour - differences in institutional treatment of whites and African-Americans continue to persist.

Can he just STFU? Stop talking about it and let our society adjust ourselves.
What is STFU..? Big Grin
(25-07-2021, 08:50 PM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-07-2021, 09:36 PM)winbig Wrote: [ -> ]Can he just STFU? Stop talking about it and let our society adjust ourselves.
What is STFU..? Big Grin

Don't act blur leh  Big Grin
Ah Shame is trying to divert people’s criticism on ceca. Dont let him snake you all