SG Talk

Full Version: Laptop numbers cannot be typed...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cannot type the numbers from my laptop. 
Only the upper casing!@#$%^& can be manoeuvred.

Tried the YouTube videos to correct also cannot.
Any IT expert can help please??

Thanks.
Numlock disabled?
KEYBOARD SPOILT
- numlock pressed, unlikely
- kb driver corrupted, reload
- kb below circuitry spoilt, open up to check. if broken, cut some wires and solder

can test using another usb or wireless kb

if too old just throw away and get new one
keyboard spoiled
(01-10-2021, 04:59 PM)Galilo_l Wrote: [ -> ]Numlock disabled?

Definitely not this issue.....
(01-10-2021, 05:50 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote: [ -> ]keyboard spoiled

I changed another keyboard also same problem.
(01-10-2021, 05:47 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote: [ -> ]- numlock pressed, unlikely
- kb driver corrupted, reload
- kb below circuitry spoilt, open up to check. if broken, cut some wires and solder

can test using another usb or wireless kb

if too old just throw away and get new one
May just have to get a new one.
Damn sien.

Many thanks all.
I am using an external keyboard.
Seems can type the numbers each time I manoeuvre the right shift.

A learning experience, just sharing with all. TQ
Try uninstalling your keyboard driver and reinstall it again?

Go to Device Manager on Windows systems by searching for Device Manager in the search bar next to the Start menu and click the drop-down arrow beside Keyboards. Locate your keyboard and right-click it, choosing Uninstall device from the menu.

Restart the computer. Windows automatically searches for and installs an appropriate driver. Alternatively, and especially if you're using a wired keyboard rather than a laptop, go to the manufacturer's website and download an updated driver manually.
If still cannot, do you know how to remove your keyboard from laptop?
If dont know, go to youtube to find clip on how to remove laptop keyboard with the similiar laptop model.

Disconnect the keyboard from the ribbon cable that is connected on the motherboard.

Check and clean up the ribbon cable.
Reinsert the ribbon cable into the motherboard connector.

After it is done, switch on your laptop to check the keyboard still functioning properly.
My guess it cable oxidiation.
I will suspect it is cable issue rather than keyboard issue. Good luck!
(01-10-2021, 05:55 PM)hansamu Wrote: [ -> ]I changed another keyboard also same problem.

You mean you change another laptop keyboard? Still the same problem.

Then I will recommend you to reset your laptop BIOS to Load Default mode to see whether it helps.
Many thanks for your input.
You are indeed very knowledgeable and savvy.

How I wish I could do it ...lol
Anybody got encounter your laptop with Bluescreen issue?
There are 2 high possiblilities.  Either the Ram got problem or CPU temp is too high.

Check the Bluescreen Error msg. 
It will show at the bottom of the screen.

Ram issue.
Unplug the Ram, clean up the ram and ram slot
If got extra Ram slot, use the extra slot.

CPU Temp too high.
Try to clean up the old thermal paste in between CPU and CPU heatsink.
Reapply a new Thermal paste onto the CPU.
The thermal paste too long never change will be too dried, may cause CPU poor heat dissipation causing high CPU temp and make your CPU processing unstable.
just buy a number keypad and connect to usb port.

if you don't need to use often, can install an app on handphone and use your handphone to type via bluetooth.
you input jepun characters?
There are many crouching dragons and hidden tigers in this forum.
Install malware software to scan if the computer is infected.
(01-10-2021, 04:21 PM)hansamu Wrote: [ -> ]Cannot type the numbers from my laptop. 

Thanks.

I think I have similar problem like yours. I was not able to enter my password in my laptop. Only part of the password can be type. I sought advice from the experts in the old Sgtalk. Someone advised to get a desktop keyboard and connect it to the laptop USB port. Use the desktop keyboard to type. It should solve the problem. True enough I am able to sign into my laptop. Can't remember who give me that invaluable advice. There are many helpful kind soul in Sgtalk. Its a pity the old Sgtalk has been shut down without warning. If prior warning has been given, I wld have saved all the valuable IT info in my docs file.
Yes, I am using an external keyboard  now.
Depend of laptop model,, number lock is high chance... unless keyboard fault,,, even so some numbers should be appears too..
(01-10-2021, 04:21 PM)hansamu Wrote: [ -> ]Cannot type the numbers from my laptop. 

Thanks.

Need booster shot ..ask Ah Ong
so many experts here. impressed. 
for me, if my keyboard is not working, I will either get someone to repair for me or buy new one. hehehe...
usually i plug in my external keyboard...mush easier to type..
My laptop no matter how I reload the windows 10 installation still stuck at reboot I also change to ssd but Same I am loss
(02-10-2021, 06:06 PM)Cmpunk Wrote: [ -> ]My laptop no matter how I reload the windows 10 installation still stuck at reboot I also change to ssd but Same I am loss

likely the internal keyboard spoilt.
(02-10-2021, 06:06 PM)Cmpunk Wrote: [ -> ]My laptop no matter how I reload the windows 10 installation still stuck at reboot I also change to ssd but Same I am loss

Did you play your BIOS/UEFI already?
How old is your laptop?
Did you set the correct Boot sequence?
Try to set Load Default for your Bios.
Did you enable RAID mode in your BIOS? Pls disable it if you not using multiple harddrive/SSD.