SG Talk

Full Version: This CNY I eat MSW instead of Bak Kwa...its caused by govt...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
MSW durian price fell from $50 per durian to $10.
Bak Kwa Rose from $56 per KG to $70+ on average.

Let me ask you what is the difference ?

Durian can be imported from Malaysia hence prices are kept competitive.

Bak Kwa from Malaysia  is banned and local chain monopolise and drove up the prices year after year. As if life in Singapore is not tough enough we have to face such profiteering resulting from govt policy.

Why PAP ban Malaysia bak kwa?
They claim it can carry the Nipahvirus to Singapore.
Is there any truth to this claim? The bak kwa bbq to 200 degree celcius the virus can survive the heat and be transported to Singapore? Such ludicrous claims not based on science is what this govt constantly pushes to us. Where is the integrity?

[Image: iF3jNdG.jpg]

1999 is 24yrs ago.....there is no basis for such a ban today.

Yes maybe bak kwa is a small issue. Just stop eating because we cannot afford but it points to the way things are done and why nothing much improves. The govt stands by while bak kwa monopolies squeeze us dry.
It is good that you refrain from carcinogenic foods whatever the price may be Big Grin
(20-01-2023, 10:42 AM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]MSW durian price fell from $50 per durian to $10.

Bak Kwa from Malaysia  is banned and local chain monopolise and drove up the prices year after year. As if life in Singapore is not tough enough we have to face such profiteering resulting from govt policy.

Is there any truth to this claim? The bak kwa bbq to 200 degree celcius the virus can survive the heat and be transported to Singapore? Such ludicrous claims not based on science is what this govt constantly pushes to us. Where is the integrity?

Yes maybe bak kwa is a small issue. Just stop eating because we cannot afford but it points to the way things are done and why nothing much improves. The govt stands by while bak kwa monopolies squeeze us dry.

Durian price fell not because it can be imported from Malaysia. Because Malaysia cannot export to China lah. So got surplus. If jhk can export durian to China, u think they will still sell to u cheap ah?
(20-01-2023, 10:42 AM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]Bak Kwa from Malaysia  is banned and local chain monopolise and drove up the prices year after year. As if life in Singapore is not tough enough we have to face such profiteering resulting from govt policy.

Because the live pigs must pass through immigration and customs checkpoints, that are manned by Malaisai mustlim officers. They dare not see nor touch for checking. So the best is to ban the export into Sg.

Also the breeders are all Malaisai chinese and they dont want them to get richer than the mustlims.

Get it?
(20-01-2023, 10:42 AM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]MSW durian price fell from $50 per durian to $10.

So you want to see our local industries slaughtered and help Malaysia's economy to boom?

May I remind you that although you were born in Muar, you had become a new citizen of Singapore, and I hope you did recite the Pledge seriously, and not simply moved your lips, while thinking of how to bring in Malaysian long yoke.
Msw price drop you dun think ahtiongs?

But both are not necessities and not healthful, better dun eat too much

Do you have durian trees in Muar?
(20-01-2023, 11:07 AM)winbig Wrote: [ -> ]Durian price fell not because it can be imported from Malaysia. Because Malaysia cannot export to China lah. So got surplus. If jhk can export durian to China, u think they will still sell to u cheap ah?

I agree with your narrative, and that durians are cheap here is because it cannot be exported to China.  So we should eat to our hearts content this season.......... Big Grin
(20-01-2023, 11:07 AM)winbig Wrote: [ -> ]Durian price fell not because it can be imported from Malaysia. Because Malaysia cannot export to China lah. So got surplus. If jhk can export durian to China, u think they will still sell to u cheap ah?

Spot on.

But they won't admit it.  They will claim that this year had a good harvest.  It's for us to to figure it out, why the price dropped, and you are right.
Ah hua aso eat bak kwa and msw to celebrate cny ah? Or you rather call it lny?
(20-01-2023, 12:42 PM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with your narrative, and that durians are cheap here is because it cannot be exported to China.  So we should eat to our hearts content this season.......... Big Grin

The lessons we must learn from the ban of chicken exports to us and the MSW durians is that abang-adek is boo sheet.  It's $$$$.

So I really wonder why so many of you here in SgTalk are strong supporters of jhks in our midst, all because they speak Mandarin.  It is also because of $$$ that they are here to earn Singapore dollars.  Do you really believe that they are here to help us out because they heard about our low TFR?  Rolleyes

At under 40 yo, you are a yoomer.  So I don't blame you for your ignorance because you are really like a child in this forum, where most of us are in our 60s and 70s.  PS:  I am in my 80s, btw.

Both durians and bak kwa are actually available all year round, so is F&N Sarsi and Ice Cream Soda.

However, for the PGs and MGs who are steeped in Singapore's version of Chinese tradition (something you seemed ignorant about), eating bak kwa is symbolic.  It is expensive, I agree, so is abalone which is not, IMO, nice to eat.  I don't crave for it, seriously.

It is a show of abundant wealth to be able to offer an expensive "delicacy" to our guests.  In the old days, we were poor, so parents also bought these for their chewren to eat, but once a year.  They could not afford more.  So, drinking F&N Sarsi or Ice Cream Soda was also a luxury for that generation.  Did you know that?  Your generation take eating Big Mac and drinking Coke for granted right.

You'd never understand the feelings of nostalgia, an era that still exists in the memory of the PG and MG, if you offer a glass of Sarsi and a piece of bak kwa to someone residing in a nursing home.  He does not crave for Jolibee hor.

You don't offer 1 kg of bak kwa to your guests, and it is rather undignified to wallop all of it when visiting people.  Nor do you eat 1 kg of it in one go.  It is not quite healthy a food (same goes for satay which I ate yesterday at a buffet lunch), but there's no serious harm to just eat a small 2 sq cm piece.  And that is not going to break you even at $70/kg.

So it is not about "money mind" here, and for once, forget about being a self appointed guru of investments.  It's Lunar New Year, and a time to show off your abundant wealth.......but you can skip the bak kwa if you don't have visitors....and eat all the MSW that you want, kid.

But if you do have visitors, do not offer them MSW and wish them Kong Hee Huat Chye while at the same time telling them, "I bought this instead of bak kwa because I being poor, have my dreams, and at $70/kg, this price is way beyond me."  That will sia suay your ancestors, which is not a filial thing to do on Lunar New Year. Smile
(20-01-2023, 01:20 PM)Oyk Wrote: [ -> ]At under 40 yo, you are a yoomer.  So I don't blame you for your ignorance because you are really like a child in this forum, where most of us are in our 60s and 70s.  PS:  I am in my 80s, btw.

Both durians and bak kwa are actually available all year round, so is F&N Sarsi and Ice Cream Soda.

However, for the PGs and MGs who are steeped in Singapore's version of Chinese tradition (something you seemed ignorant about), eating bak kwa is symbolic.  It is expensive, I agree, so is abalone which is not, IMO, nice to eat.  I don't crave for it, seriously.

It is a show of abundant wealth to be able to offer an expensive "delicacy" to our guests.  In the old days, we were poor, so parents also bought these for their chewren to eat, but once a year.  They could not afford more.  So, drinking F&N Sarsi or Ice Cream Soda was also a luxury for that generation.  Did you know that?  Your generation take eating Big Mac and drinking Coke for granted right.

You'd never understand the feelings of nostalgia, an era that still exists in the memory of the PG and MG, if you offer a glass of Sarsi and a piece of bak kwa to someone residing in a nursing home.  He does not crave for Jolibee hor.

You don't offer 1 kg of bak kwa to your guests, and it is rather undignified to wallop all of it when visiting people.  Nor do you eat 1 kg of it in one go.  It is not quite healthy a food (same goes for satay which I ate yesterday at a buffet lunch), but there's no serious harm to just eat a small 2 sq cm piece.  And that is not going to break you even at $70/kg.

So it is not about "money mind" here, and for once, forget about being a self appointed guru of investments.  It's Lunar New Year, and a time to show off your abundant wealth.......but you can skip the bak kwa if you don't have visitors....and eat all the MSW that you want, kid.

But if you do have visitors, do not offer them MSW and wish them Kong Hee Huat Chye while at the same time telling them, "I bought this instead of bak kwa because I being poor, have my dreams, and at $70/kg, this price is way beyond me."  That will sia suay your ancestors, which is not a filial thing to do on Lunar New Year. Smile

Well said, giving the guests bak kwa is symbolic and a show of wealth.  It is once a year occasion, therefore we need to splurge in the once a year occasion....... Rotfl Laughing nudie
Nice titties Big Grin
(20-01-2023, 01:34 PM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]Well said, giving the guests bak kwa is symbolic and a show of wealth.  It is once a year occasion, therefore we need to splurge in the once a year occasion....... Rotfl Laughing nudie

Ever wondered why bak kwa has a reddish hue?

It is an auspicious colour.

Many traditional Chinese dishes are eaten not because they are rare, or particularly hard to cook, but for their auspicious-sounding names.

Dried oyster with sea moss - 好事发财 
Abalone - 包余

Even though the vendors make huge profits out of it, people still buy...

But I believe this tradition is dying because our zoomer girls do not know how to cook.  This cultural rot already started with the generation before that...the yoomers and even the xoomers  So many families would close their main door....opening it and letting people see what they are actually eating is jin sia suay......because they are eating steamboat with fish balls, meat ball, and some prawns...instead of the real traditional Chinese dishes.

I'd expect the zoomers to just eat a bit...........can't blame them.....who would think eating fish ball and pork ball to be a LNY delicacy?.......... and then change to clothes which would make their grandparents squirm, and then head for MacD for their Prosperity Burger.  As most hawker centres would be closed, 40% of the customers sitting inside are from Myanmar, the Philippines, Vietnam, and even Malaysia and China...
SG has been banning Pork meat from Malaysia for Years but EPIC they allow From Indo
(20-01-2023, 01:53 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote: [ -> ]SG has been banning Pork meat from Malaysia for Years but EPIC they allow From Indo

Those pigs from Indonesia are breed specially for Singapore consumers......... Laughing nudie
(20-01-2023, 12:21 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote: [ -> ]Msw price drop you dun think ahtiongs?

But both are not necessities and not healthful, better dun eat too much

Durian is a disease causing food
(20-01-2023, 01:59 PM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]Those pigs from Indonesia are breed specially for Singapore consumers......... Laughing nudie

some farm actually owned by SG Boss same for some in MY.
(20-01-2023, 01:51 PM)Oyk Wrote: [ -> ]Ever wondered why bak kwa has a reddish hue?

Many traditional Chinese dishes are eaten not because they are rare, or particularly hard to cook, but for their auspicious-sounding names.

Abalone - 包余

But I believe this tradition is dying because our zoomer girls do not know how to cook.  This cultural rot already started with the generation before that...the yoomers and even the xoomers  So many families would close their main door....opening it and letting people see what they are actually eating is jin sia suay......because they are eating steamboat with fish balls, meat ball, and some prawns...instead of the real traditional Chinese dishes.

I'd expect the zoomers to just eat a bit...........can't blame them.....who would think eating fish ball and pork ball to be a LNY delicacy?.......... and then change to clothes which would make their grandparents squirm, and then head for MacD for their Prosperity Burger.  As most hawker centres would be closed, 40% of the customers sitting inside are from Myanmar, the Philippines, Vietnam, and even Malaysia and China...

The reddish hue of bak kwa is due to the sauce applied on the meat.
(20-01-2023, 01:20 PM)Oyk Wrote: [ -> ]At under 40 yo, you are a yoomer.  So I don't blame you for your ignorance because you are really like a child in this forum, where most of us are in our 60s and 70s.  PS:  I am in my 80s, btw.

You wrote lots of stuff without arguing why bak kwa is not more affordable.
IAM not in town this CNY

You sure lose him. Only $38.80
This team is killing Bak Kwa business lah. Rotfl
(20-01-2023, 06:45 PM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]You wrote lots of stuff without arguing why bak kwa is not more affordable.

I do understand that people like you are poor, and have only your dreams to spread, and one of your dream is to eat MSW for LNY instead of bak kwa.

Now, as everybody here knows, I am not the argumentative type.   I do not like to argue. My life philosophy is "Make love, not war".   Wink

You see, the prices of food had gone up across the board.  Coffee costs $1.40 and can drinks cost $1.80 each. cai png could cost as much as $10 if you so happened to buy from a greedy seller, but generally, it had gone up from say $3.50 to $4.80 depending on what you order.  I had Odeon Beef Noodles just now for dinner at the food court in Junction 8.  Damage?  $6.80.  It used to be $4 or something but slowly slowly, the price went up.  Even Old Chang Kee....one stick of sotong ball is now?  $1.80 when it used to be $1.50.

There are many peepur whining now in edmw.  Go there and see for yourself.

I think the increase in long yoke price is inevitable.  Stop whining like a kiddo asking "Why my lollipop price went up?" Sad

If you still don't understand the economics, Jamus will be glad to run another Econs class in Parliament to explain why long yoke went up to $70/kg.

But as an investment guru, you should know that the US-China trade war, Russian Special Military Operations, Wuhan virus...... all these are known as fundamentals which can bring a share price down, or your bak kwa aka long yoke price up.  Smile
I do not eat bak kwa or durians

IAM on ascension meditation

I hv mastered the art of levitation
(20-01-2023, 07:39 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote: [ -> ]You sure lose him. Only $38.80
This team is killing Bak Kwa business lah. Rotfl

$38.80 for 1 kg of bak kwa. it is a steal.................... Laughing
cny you dont eat durian

it is meaningless
(20-01-2023, 01:51 PM)Oyk Wrote: [ -> ]Ever wondered why bak kwa has a reddish hue?

Abalone - 包余

That is true too...................... Clapping
(20-01-2023, 07:04 PM)Sentinel Wrote: [ -> ]IAM not in town this CNY

Seriously, nobody cares even if you are not in this world. Rolleyes
Pages: 1 2