SG Talk

Full Version: Wow S'pore man saved $500K after 20yrs on normal salary- here's how
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So what he want to bring out? Don’t invest and just saving ?
Okay lah...nothing amazing just keep spending down and hang on tightly to job.

1. Keep spending below $500....I was able to keep it below $300. So doable.

2. Never drive a car....understood lah.

3. Don't get married. Common sense unless one can afford to raise a family pay for medical of family etc. Forget it.

4. Don't buy a home. Either cash rich or asset rich the choice is yours. But guy has HDB which he pays with CPF means he has debt.

5. Spend less on holidays. Feller "waste" 5K a year to "eat air" and entertainment....he could have save $100K more if he did not waste.
Damn bloody stupid. Might as well go kill himself. $500k can buy a very good coffin.
life is really tough lah.
haha, i will choose happiness and health with 3 simple meals a day.
Need to be single to be able to do what he did though.
He forget to put everyday make love with with his computer.diy very cheap but routine no kick dull orgasm.
single, no commitment. 20 yrs save 500K is easy lah. if he has housing loan, children and parent commitment and able to save 500K, he is just average only. nothing to be proud of.
Never go restaurants eat every weekend or so, maybe once a while

Never own car

Never sub what Netflix , cable tv or addition services

Get the lowest plan for Internet and mobile

Daily yea eat simple
Never buy much snack
Don’t play play snack now a days can cost a lot
(04-10-2021, 06:47 PM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]Okay lah...nothing amazing just keep spending down and hang on tightly to job.

1. Keep spending below $500....I was able to keep it below $300. So doable.

2. Never drive a car....understood lah.

3. Don't get married. Common sense unless one can afford to raise a family pay for medical of family etc. Forget it.

4. Don't buy a home. Either cash rich or asset rich the choice is yours. But guy has HDB which he pays with CPF means he has debt.

5. Spend less on holidays. Feller "waste" 5K a year to "eat air" and entertainment....he could have save $100K more if he did not waste.

huh, yr 230/m now 300/m? spent more on 4d or due to inflation?

but not everybody is as lucky, can stay in parent's house with shops and bus stop downstairs
He did say he spent $5,000 for discretionary items such as travel, so he is not entirely stingy with his life. I think he did very well with a non-graduate salary.
If all live like him many businesses will uplorry?
(04-10-2021, 06:40 PM)Cmpunk Wrote: [ -> ]So what he want to bring out? Don’t invest and just saving ?

Squeezing balls formula. Big Grin
I spent like a drunken sailor but I still managed to 2 millions after 20 years..
This type of lifestyle, is it even considered worth living? I am glad to have a lifestyle where I don’t need to constantly pause and think of how to spend my money.
The 500k likely to end up in the hands of the hospitals and doctors.
If he invested, he will get x3 times the money
(05-10-2021, 07:33 AM)p1acebo Wrote: [ -> ]This type of lifestyle, is it even considered  worth living?  I am glad to have a lifestyle where I don’t need to constantly pause and think of how to spend my money.

I think people are completely.mistaken that enjoying pleasure in life like eat good food, stay big house, drive big car  and holidaying etc is meaning and purpose of life. They are wrong to think it applies to everyone.

I grew up without yearning for material things because I believe that kind of life is due to brainwashing by advertisement and western influence 

To me,  a meaningful life is one where you live honestly and spend time to learn  things ..none of these cost much money.
(05-10-2021, 10:50 AM)sgbuffett Wrote: [ -> ]I think people are completely.mistaken that enjoying pleasure in life like eat good food, stay big house, drive big car  and holidaying etc is meaning and purpose of life. They are wrong to think it applies to everyone.

I grew up without yearning for material things because I believe that kind of life is due to brainwashing by advertisement and western influence 

To me,  a meaningful life is one where you live honestly and spend time to learn  things ..none of these cost much money.

Well said. I also don't understand why so many people thinks the guy is not living well. He has his own flat. He spends 5k every year on holidays and what not. Can go Europe holiday every year plus can go BKK every few months to satisfy his little head if he wants to.

All these considering he earns just 3k a month.

Car, condo and children are not necessary to be happy.
(05-10-2021, 07:33 AM)p1acebo Wrote: [ -> ]This type of lifestyle, is it even considered  worth living?  I am glad to have a lifestyle where I don’t need to constantly pause and think of how to spend my money.

earn money like sgbuffett  spend money like a monk.
(05-10-2021, 12:40 PM)Blin Wrote: [ -> ]earn money like sgbuffett  spend money like a monk.

I think people can do much better at earning money than me.

I don't live like a monk I am just thrifty and not married.

When I was working at fast food saw some people try to start family with low income....I think its a bad idea...The financial pressure and hand to mouth way of living is terrible.
aiya for those hv millions, spending more would help many ppl and the society.

but for those earning 400/m like the peasants in china, they can be happy aso by spending only 230/m.