SG Talk

Full Version: Moneychangers are Cunning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I went to exchange $1000 to Japanese Yen. At Change Alley upstairs I saw one of the moneychangers has the best rate at 10050, so I exchanged there, guess what? the guy asked me to give him $5 more so he would give me 100k Yen….I was puzzled, how come I need to give him more money….he used a calculator to explain to me that the figure was correct, I hesitated and didn’t take the money, he got nervous and constantly distracted my attention by giving me rubber band and different types of envelopes….in the end I asked him return back my money.
Then I went to another Moneychanger with slightly lower rate of 10034. The guy handed over 100k Yen to me and $3, when I checked the receipt, the exchange rate was 10030, straight away I questioned him why the rate is different from the board, without checking he passed me more money he cheated from me.
So never ever trust Moneychangers, some of them are dishonest, they have been doing this to many customers as many people never check.
they will show me the amount exchanged on a piece of paper first
if agree none of their fault
User problem who doesn't understand maths.

They refund or ask more SGD to make the foreign currencies whole.
(01-03-2023, 09:08 PM)Lukongsimi Wrote: [ -> ]they will show me the amount exchanged on a piece of paper first

Normally they do, still they can cheat you when you are in a hurry
(01-03-2023, 09:12 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote: [ -> ]Normally they do, still they can cheat you when you are in a hurry

everywhere got cheaters  not only money changers
shops, cashiers usually give short of change or scanned items twice and customers seldom check
(01-03-2023, 08:44 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote: [ -> ]I went to exchange $1000 to Japanese Yen. At Change Alley upstairs I saw one of the moneychangers has the best rate at 10050, so I exchanged there, guess what? the guy asked me to give him $5 more so he would give me 100k Yen….I was puzzled, how come I need to give him more money….he used a calculator to explain to me that the figure was correct, I hesitated and didn’t take the money, he got nervous and constantly distracted my attention by giving me rubber band and different types of envelopes….in the end I asked him return back my money.

mei mei meet moneychangers

[Image: 8-E7-E7-C3-D-A4-F8-43-AE-8220-50-DCC02-FD4-C2.gif]
Usually, they print the exchange rate, the SGD and the foreign currency. Then they show you the counting on the machine.

For them to chop-carrots is when they know you want it and it is in short supply. They quote you an unfavourable rate using the opposite way.
(01-03-2023, 09:08 PM)Lukongsimi Wrote: [ -> ]they will show me the amount exchanged on a piece of paper first

That is a good practice............ Clapping
(01-03-2023, 08:44 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote: [ -> ]I went to exchange $1000 to Japanese Yen. At Change Alley upstairs I saw one of the moneychangers has the best rate at 10050, so I exchanged there, guess what? the guy asked me to give him $5 more so he would give me 100k Yen….I was puzzled, how come I need to give him more money….he used a calculator to explain to me that the figure was correct, I hesitated and didn’t take the money, he got nervous and constantly distracted my attention by giving me rubber band and different types of envelopes….in the end I asked him return back my money.

Sis. you did  the  right thing.........to get your Singdollar back................. Clapping
Cheater not only just moneychanger

Konichiwa, Why u go tour Japan and not China ah?
Obee good.  Laughing
(01-03-2023, 09:15 PM)Lukongsimi Wrote: [ -> ]everywhere got cheaters  not only money changers
shops, cashiers usually give short of change or scanned items twice and customers seldom check

Correct, it happens everywhere and all the time…two months ago I bought some stuffs at a convenience shop in Balestier, the total was $5.5, so I handed over $10.5 to the shop owner….I was waiting for my change, he told me all correct, I can leave…then I said I gave him $10.5, he said sorry sorry and quickly passed me $5…obviously he cheated. There is one thing in common, in all these cases I encountered the owners are all ah neh, was it coincident? I dunt know.
Even in Japan don’t be conned by the stall, recommended by trip advisor for their food, selling you in package which sound attractive. This is an easy way to earn your money.

They know you are there maybe only once in your lifetime.
(01-03-2023, 09:24 PM)theold Wrote: [ -> ]Usually, they print the exchange rate, the SGD and the foreign currency. Then they show you the counting on the machine.

For them to chop-carrots is when they know you want it and it is in short supply. They quote you an unfavourable rate using the opposite way.

When I reached there many of the Moneychangers were about to close….they were in a hurry and took advantage of the situation.

Ringgit rate dropped to 3.29, there was one shop that offered 3.3 but only in small notes of 10 Ringgit note, I didn’t change
(01-03-2023, 09:31 PM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]Sis. you did  the  right thing.........to get your Singdollar back................. Clapping

He was trying to confuse me without providing me the receipt as Japanese Yen is small
(01-03-2023, 09:43 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote: [ -> ]When I reached there many of the Moneychangers were about to close….they were in a hurry and took advantage of the situation.

Ringgit rate dropped to 3.29, there was one shop that offered 3.3 but only in small notes of 10 Ringgit note, I didn’t change

If the amount is not too big, then it is alright to get small notes of 10 Ringgits.......................... Big Grin
Likely they know that the calculator cannot fit in the digits. This is an easy way to con people.
(01-03-2023, 09:48 PM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]If the amount is not too big, then it is alright to get small notes of 10 Ringgits.......................... Big Grin

Wanted to change $500, that is 1650 Ringgit, which means I will get 165 pieces of 10 Ringgit notes, that is a lot.
(01-03-2023, 09:11 PM)exEDMW here are losers Wrote: [ -> ]User problem who doesn't understand maths.

They refund or ask more SGD to make the foreign currencies whole.

They know many people are not only careless but also poor in maths.
(01-03-2023, 09:33 PM)way Wrote: [ -> ]Konichiwa, Why u go tour Japan and not China ah?
Obee good.  Laughing

I just exchange some Yen, it doesn’t mean I am going to Japan. China has not yet open to foreign tourists yet, only students, businessmen, working visa holders or diplomats from other countries can enter.
(01-03-2023, 09:53 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote: [ -> ]They know many people are not only careless but also poor in maths.

Perhaps we should bring our own calculator, to counter check.................. Big Grin
(01-03-2023, 09:57 PM)debono Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps we should bring our own calculator, to counter check.................. Big Grin

Good advice. Laughter-68

Even though you have the receipt with the rate you agree to, you are already cheated by the Moneychangers because the rate is lousy, Change Alley has the best exchange rates in Spore, if the exchange rate for MYR is 3.3 in Change Alley, the rates elsewhere will be only 3.27, 3.28 or 3.29, in a sense you are already cheated by them without knowing.

(01-03-2023, 08:47 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote: [ -> ]Then I went to anotherCMoneychanger with slightly lower rate of 10034. The guy handed over 100k Yen to me and $3, when I checked the receipt, the exchange rate was 10030, straight away I questioned him why the rate is different from the board, without checking he passed me more money he cheated from me.
I use to change money at Change Alley. Can you let me know which money changers are dishonest?  so i can be more wary.
(02-03-2023, 12:00 AM)Gemstar Wrote: [ -> ]I use to change money at Change Alley. Can you let me know which money changers are dishonest?  so i can be more wary.

2nd last shop on the left upstairs.
(02-03-2023, 12:04 AM)lvlrsSTI Wrote: [ -> ]2nd last shop on the left upstairs.
Thanks Bro.  I intend to change euro dollar as I will be travelling to Greece in April.
changing $1K only need to travel all the way to find the best rate ?

TS very calculative.
(02-03-2023, 07:56 AM)K88 shu shu Wrote: [ -> ]changing $1K only need to travel all the way to find the best rate ?

TS very calculative.

How do you know he is changing $1K.......................? Big Grin
Pages: 1 2