SG Talk

Full Version: I am a political prisoner in Georgia, and I am dying
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Putin, who once threatened to ‘hang me by the balls,’ is undoubtedly ultimately responsible for my current predicament, says Saakashvili.

After just months in power, I was praised by leaders in Europe and the U.S. for championing democracy and free markets, and ending a period of de facto control over my country by organized criminal syndicates. 

In 2005, I was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by senators Hillary Clinton and John McCain for “having won popular support for the universal values of democracy, individual liberty and civil rights.” 

When I returned to Georgia in October 2021, after eight years in exile, to support free and fair parliamentary elections, I was a healthy, energetic 54-year-old man. I was then immediately arrested by Georgian authorities and have been imprisoned ever since based upon hearsay and politically motivated charges of “abuse of power,” which only the Kremlin and the current Georgian government consider legitimate. 

Ideals that President Biden once told me I could rely on.

https://www.politico.eu/article/russia-w...-am-dying/