SG Talk

Full Version: Why the French Are Angry About a Plan to Retire at 64 instead of 62
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Analysis by William Horobin and Samy Adghirni | Bloomberg
March 23, 2023 at 6:32 a.m. EDT

For more than a quarter of a century, there hasn’t been a French president who didn’t try to fix the country’s gigantic state pension system, and Emmanuel Macron is no exception.

Levies on workers and employers pay the pensions of the retired population. The problem is that French people spend less time working, and more time in retirement, than most of their European peers, leading to funding shortfalls that increase the public debt. And an aging population is making the problem worse. Without change, the national pension deficit could balloon to as much as 0.8% of annual economic output over the next decade

That’s a liability the government can ill-afford in a country that already has one of the highest public debt burdens in Europe.

France’s minimum retirement age of 62 is one of the lowest in Europe.

Raising the minimum age to 64 and increasing the minimum period of contributions to access a full pension will eliminate the system’s deficit by 2030, according to the government. That would ease pressure on public finances, allowing the government to invest more in digital technologies, fund the transition to a low-carbon economy and boost employment and growth. Raising the minimum retirement age could also improve low employment rates among older workers

Politically, Macron has little to lose as he can’t run for a third term. And he’s determined to seal his legacy as a pro-business reformer and score a win for his centrist movement against populists of the right and left.

Labor organizations say adjusting the age thresholds will unfairly hit the low-skilled and the least wealthy who began working earlier in life.

past experience may give Macron the confidence to stare down the unions. The unrest of 2019 did little to dent growth and, ultimately, it was the coronavirus outbreak — not the protests — that led him to hit pause on the pension reforms.

Is this just a French problem?

Hardly. The world’s population of people aged 60 years and older is expected to double by 2050, according to the World Health Organization, while fertility rates are in long-term decline. The financial strain is challenging old-age support systems and leaving many countries facing tough choices about raising the age of retirement, cutting benefits or lifting taxes. Pension shortfalls will be the equivalent of about 23% of world output by 2050

One key measure is the old-age dependency ratio — the number of older people compared to the population that is working age. In Europe and North America, that ratio will be about 50 per 100 by 2050, according to UN forecasts, a rise from 30 per 100 in 2019. In short, we’re on a trajectory toward a smaller share of people paying taxes and a higher proportion drawing pensions. By 2035, the basic US system known as Social Security will no longer be able to cover payments, forcing a 20% reduction in benefits

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/...story.html
PAP only know how to bully the poor elderly

I was eating at one coffeeshop last weekend

The aunty selling drinks and collecting finished plate

is 87 Years old!!
Lazy bums.
Those in the government sector will like the retirement age to increase. Still, get to work.
Those in the private sector will like the retirement age to be reduced. They can withdraw from their pension funds.
(16-04-2023, 12:25 PM)Migrant Wrote: [ -> ]Lazy bums.

Please add JAC Lau, that Malaysian to your list

He has not been working except collecting rubbish
recently this PM claim again so call "elderly" want to work till 70 and beyond.

many netizen claim Well " Obviously " if you are like Those Ex Minister like the current Kwah at SPH as CEO etc

already 70 + YET collect High pay cheque sitting on top who don't want?
Wait till they see SGP... Lol
The French now no $ enuf...
Democracy becomes a liability when people keep voting in short-term thinking "leadership"

Macron is on his last term in office, so have the option to push a law that no new France president dare to do...
(16-04-2023, 12:48 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote: [ -> ]recently this PM claim again so call "elderly" want to work till 70 and beyond.

many netizen claim Well " Obviously " if you are like Those Ex Minister like the current Kwah at SPH as CEO etc

already 70 + YET collect High pay cheque sitting on top who don't want?

You know - thank to garbage such as your posts in SGTalk that help change my decision to vote for the PAP in the coming GE.. Big Grin
It's good to keep on working.

Otherwise life is so boring!  Tongue
(16-04-2023, 01:30 PM)cityhantam Wrote: [ -> ]It's good to keep on working.

Otherwise life is so boring!  Tongue
One is blessed with good health to be able to work. 
One is blessed with healthy legs who keeps walking. 
One is blessed with social circles of people who keeps working
(16-04-2023, 01:19 PM)Manthink Wrote: [ -> ]You know - thank to garbage such as your posts in SGTalk that help change my decision to vote for the PAP in the coming GE.. Big Grin

Smile
I also will vote PAP , to make future gen get owned that is YOUR KIDS . I'm ok since I single.
(16-04-2023, 01:45 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote: [ -> ]Smile  I also will vote PAP , to make future gen get owned that is YOUR KIDS . I'm ok since I single.

yeah right...and we know singles won't receive much benefits under PAP population policy + childless voters like you gets taxed more Big Grin
(16-04-2023, 01:17 PM)Manthink Wrote: [ -> ]The French now no $ enuf...
Democracy becomes a liability when people keep voting in short-term thinking "leadership"

Macron is on his last term in office, so have the option to push a law that no new France president dare to do...

If he does not do it, it may broke within his term.
But have to say Fra has high tax, so it is understand why people bae song.
Why 64? Not an auspicious number.