SG Talk

Full Version: So-called CECA talent in banking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The recent postings about Guptas being employed with banks in Singapore and one moronic forummer aka Oyk who claims that CECAs are "top bankers" has spurred me to share my thoughts based on my many years of working with banking clients in Singapore and beyond.

I remembered when I was a junior and my employer then had a working visit to one of the largest banks in India.  At that time, I was managing a couple of small projects related to Treasury systems and we had a session with the Treasury department in said bank.  I was SHOCKED to discover that the bank had only ONE Bloomberg terminal to cater for all the needs and uses of the entire bank! And they were using table fans in the dealing room!  LMFAO!  Contrast that with the Singapore bank that I did a project with and it had at least 6-7 terminals dedicated to the Treasury department alone.  Even the Malaysian and Thai banks I did some projects with had multiple Bloomberg terminals and had dedicated ones assigned to corporate banking, investment depts etc.

And yet the Pappies are welcoming CECAs as "Talent" when their own banking infrastructure isn't even up to scratch!

Is there any wonder that DBS has had multiple digital channel outages after they sourced all their IT development to CECAland?   Rotfl
(01-05-2023, 02:08 PM)aiptasia Wrote: [ -> ]And yet the Pappies are welcoming CECAs as "Talent" when their own banking infrastructure isn't even up to scratch!

Is there any wonder that DBS has had multiple digital channel outages after they sourced all their IT development to CECAland?   Rotfl

PAP thinks it is cheaper and faster to import CECA manpower than training local talents.

Singapore does not have shortage of IT manpower.
in one govt IT training program, there are 4000 applicants for 700 vacancies.
in another IT program, there are 800 applicants for 22 vacancies.
(01-05-2023, 02:13 PM)forum456 Wrote: [ -> ]PAP thinks it is cheaper and faster to import CECA manpower than training local talents.

Singapore does not have shortage of IT manpower.
in one govt IT training program, there are 4000 applicants for 700 vacancies.
in another IT program, there are 800 applicants for 22 vacancies.
Fully agreed. There are heaps of Sinkie IT graduates and experienced folks who are looking for opportunities.  

The fugging CECAs have caused them to be barred from many positions.
(01-05-2023, 02:34 PM)aiptasia Wrote: [ -> ]Fully agreed. There are heaps of Sinkie IT graduates and experienced folks who are looking for opportunities.  

The fugging CECAs have caused them to be barred from many positions.

i have talked to one govt approved IT training centre and asked why no more job attachment for the govt sponsored course.

the centre told me that there are too many Singaporean applicants and too few companies for job attachment.
most applicants are career switchers from non-IT background.

why PAP still needs CECA when we have so many singaporeans who cannot get IT jobs ?

LupCheong

(01-05-2023, 02:08 PM)aiptasia Wrote: [ -> ]The recent postings about Guptas being employed with banks in Singapore and one moronic forummer aka Oyk who claims that CECAs are "top bankers" has spurred me to share my thoughts based on my many years of working with banking clients in Singapore and beyond.

I remembered when I was a junior and my employer then had a working visit to one of the largest banks in India.  At that time, I was managing a couple of small projects related to Treasury systems and we had a session with the Treasury department in said bank.  I was SHOCKED to discover that the bank had only ONE Bloomberg terminal to cater for all the needs and uses of the entire bank! And they were using table fans in the dealing room!  LMFAO!  Contrast that with the Singapore bank that I did a project with and it had at least 6-7 terminals dedicated to the Treasury department alone.  Even the Malaysian and Thai banks I did some projects with had multiple Bloomberg terminals and had dedicated ones assigned to corporate banking, investment depts etc.

And yet the Pappies are welcoming CECAs as "Talent" when their own banking infrastructure isn't even up to scratch!

Totally agree with what you say
(01-05-2023, 02:49 PM)forum456 Wrote: [ -> ]i have talked to one govt approved IT training centre and asked why no more job attachment for the govt sponsored course.

the centre told me that there are too many Singaporean applicants and too few companies for job attachment.
most applicants are career switchers from non-IT background.

why PAP still needs CECA when we have so many singaporeans who cannot get IT jobs ?
I am currently working with an established cyber security vendor to onboard young Singaporeans from non-IT backgrounds via a bootcamp conducted by the vendor and subsequent junior positions for them.  This has been conducted with several iterations and I am happy to contribute to helping my fellow Sinkies to chart their own careers and futures. 

What's absolutely terrible is that these CECAs are hired with falsified certs and have zero experience in IT.  They are recruited solely via CECA networks with kickbacks involved.
(01-05-2023, 02:57 PM)aiptasia Wrote: [ -> ]I am currently working with an established cyber security vendor to onboard young Singaporeans from non-IT backgrounds via a bootcamp conducted by the vendor and subsequent junior positions for them.  This has been conducted with several iterations and I am happy to contribute to helping my fellow Sinkies to chart their own careers and futures. 

What's absolutely terrible is that these CECAs are hired with falsified certs and have zero experience in IT.  They are recruited solely via CECA networks with kickbacks involved.

your contribution is admirable. but your effort is too small and short lived to revert the trend. you may help hundreds of singaporeans.
PAP policy will affect millions of singaporeans and long lasting.
it is more permanent to change PAP policy.
(01-05-2023, 03:15 PM)forum456 Wrote: [ -> ]your contribution is admirable. but your effort is too small and short lived to revert the trend. you may help hundreds of singaporeans.
PAP policy will affect millions of singaporeans and long lasting.
it is more permanent to change PAP policy.

I do what I can.  Agreed on the doing the greater good and that is the voting station.
(01-05-2023, 03:16 PM)aiptasia Wrote: [ -> ]I do what I can.  Agreed on the doing the greater good and that is the voting station.

Admirable on what yer doing  Clapping But it maybe too "few" too "little" to help, from what I see ... the great train has been chugging along and it cannot be stop .. unfortunately..
side track from yer title.. hirers from China, Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia i.e management, heads of dept what have you hire their own countrymen or other foreigners as well and as much, bypassing Singporeans. Top most above all are the whities esp UK and Aussie folks, worse of the lot in hiring practises. I've worked in places where peeps with non financial background, close to ZERO conversational English skills, worse that folka who speak Singlish, are able to be hired to in financial sales and system support roles (client facing). These roles require em' allll to deal with bank traders or high net worth clients. (btw these few from HK and Sth Korea ) Zero job related experience plus lack of English proficiency but... hired...? Really, no Singaporeans wanna do such jobs or (as the narrative goes) they prefer gig jobs?  Laughing
Old SGTALK has a IT Engineer

he said CECA also wayang and act busy like PAP

write 50 pages of software language

but he only need to write 10 pages for the system to action
(01-05-2023, 05:16 PM)Merdeka Wrote: [ -> ]Admirable on what yer doing  Clapping But it maybe too "few" too "little" to help, from what I see  ... the great train has been chugging along and it cannot be stop .. unfortunately..
side track from yer title.. hirers from China, Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia i.e management, heads of dept what have you hire their own countrymen or other foreigners as well and as much, bypassing Singporeans. Top most above all are the whities esp UK and Aussie folks, worse of the lot in hiring practises. I've worked in places where peeps with non financial background, close to ZERO conversational English skills, worse that folka who speak Singlish, are able to be hired to in financial sales and system support roles (client facing). These roles require em' allll to deal with bank traders or high net worth clients. (btw these few from HK and Sth Korea ) Zero job related experience plus lack of English proficiency but... hired...? Really, no Singaporeans wanna do such jobs or (as the narrative goes) they prefer gig jobs?  Laughing

Agreed that the CECAs and Australians are the worst of the lot.
(01-05-2023, 02:08 PM)aiptasia Wrote: [ -> ]The recent postings about Guptas being employed with banks in Singapore and one moronic forummer aka Oyk who claims that CECAs are "top bankers" has spurred me to share my thoughts based on my many years of working with banking clients in Singapore and beyond.

walan people only need 1 terminal. This is called talent