SG Talk

Full Version: VIDEO: Vietnam's USD debt problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I have checked the figures. While they do tally with what the video stated, meaning Vietnam's figures are bad, they are not the worst ever. But still, they are bad which is kind of puzzling as I expect Vietnam to be like China in the late 1990s or 2000s. Should at least experienced high single-digit growth. Maybe my expectations are wrong which is highly possible since I do not follow Vietnam much.

As for foreign investment, I was shocked initially by the drastic drop but after I checked out Vietnam's past history, it seems that that is the norm for Vietnam. Every few years, there will be a drastic drop in FDI. Just that the most recent drop is a lot more than previous ones in both absolute terms and % wise.
The reason why US$ is king is so much debt is owed and has to be paid back in dollars.

In fact by raising interest rates the usd needed to service the debts has risen and usd demand has risen.

To displace US$ or dedollarise ...countries need yo get out of usd debt
Surprising indeed especially when supply chains are said to shift to VN. The drastic drop in global market appetite for their exports prob a huge factor. But VND appears to still fare decently versus the JPY....

[Image: 2023-05-22-10-19-39-Window.png]
The video's objectivity is suspect. The repeated inappropriate use of the word "harvested" in the video gives a hint of the country where the video's creator comes from. There are also some other US-bashing videos in the channel.
Another one suffer by siding the Disunited Shite of Assmericunt  Rotfl
(22-05-2023, 10:48 AM)starbugs Wrote: [ -> ]The video's objectivity is suspect. The repeated inappropriate use of the word "harvested" in the video gives a hint of the country where the video's creator comes from. There are also some other US-bashing videos in the channel.

This video is not the first to use it. I have read about it in other articles more than a decade ago. It is a result of the USD dominance and may or may not be US' intention (could be they just don't care) but the harvesting of wealth from other countries is the results whenever US raise interest rates in the past. I think we are used to it by now.