SG Talk

Full Version: Several US states plan to allow kids to work in hazardous jobs due to worker shortage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
By Harm Venhuizen
today

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Lawmakers in several states are embracing legislation to let children work in more hazardous occupations, for more hours on school nights and in expanded roles, including serving alcohol in bars and restaurants as young as 14.

The efforts to significantly roll back labor rules are largely led by Republican lawmakers to address worker shortages and, in some cases, run afoul of federal regulations.

Child welfare advocates worry the measures represent a coordinated push to scale back hard-won protections for minors.

Lawmakers proposed loosening child labor laws in at least 10 states over the past two years, according to a report published last month by the left-leaning Economic Policy Institute. Some bills became law

https://apnews.com/article/child-labor-l...88619c6205
American children are working hazardous jobs – and it’s about to get worse
Robert Reich

Fri 31 Mar 2023 11.12 BST

When I was secretary of labor 30 years ago, one major goal was to crack down on companies that employed children, in violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938. I remember being horrified to discover that even in the early 1990s, children who should have been in school were working, often in dangerous jobs.

We made progress. Child labor declined in the United States. But it was a hard slog. By law, the highest fines I could levy against companies that put children to work were relatively small. Some firms treated them as costs of business.

The US Chamber of Commerce and other corporate lobbying groups argued that almost any minimum standard of decency at work – whether barring child labor, setting a minimum wage, or requiring employers to install safety equipment – was an intrusion on the so-called “free market” and therefore a “job killer”.

My argument was that the nation’s goal was not just more jobs; it was more good jobs, safe jobs, jobs that allowed kids to go to school, jobs that upheld minimum standards of decency.

In the years since then, I’ve assumed that progress was continuing on eliminating child labor in America. Sadly, I was wrong.

Serious child labor violations are once again on the rise, including in hazardous meatpacking and manufacturing jobs. Children are working with chemicals and dangerous equipment. They are also working night shifts.

You might think that in the face of this mounting problem, lawmakers around the country would rush to protect these children.

You’d be wrong. In fact, state legislatures are rushing in the opposite direction, seeking to weaken child labor protections.

In the past two years, 10 states have introduced or passed legislation expanding work hours for children, lifting restrictions on hazardous occupations for children, allowing children to work in locations that serve alcohol, and lowering the state minimum wage for minors.

Much better to read full article here: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...epublicans
They can do it but other countries cannot!

Even normal jobs are not allowed in other countries!  Angry