SG Talk

Full Version: Teacher's elopement with her female student sparks religious tensions in India
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Namita Singh
Fri, 7 July 2023 at 6:09 pm SGT

A 20-year-old teacher and her 17-year-old female student eloped from a town in India last month, leading to a country-wide police hunt as well as tensions between religious groups in their town.

The pair’s disappearance has been leapt upon by right-wing Hindu nationalist groups, as the teenager is a Hindu and her teacher is a Muslim.

The family of the student have lodged a police complaint against the woman, a teacher at a private school in Sri Dungargarh, Bikaner, accusing her of kidnapping their daughter.

But in a video posted online that has since been widely shared, the class 12 student proclaimed her “love” for the teacher as the pair came out to their families.

“All of you must be thinking that she or her family members brainwashed and kidnapped me. There is nothing like that,” she said in the four-minute long video. “We have left on our own will because we love each other and can’t stay without each other.

“We are lesbians and we cannot marry any other man. That is why we decided to run away; she didn’t force me at all. You may think that she has asked me to make this video, but it is not so. It is me who has taken the decision to make this video and allay the misunderstanding,” said the minor.

Right-wing Hindu groups are calling the couple’s disappearance a case of “love jihad” – an Islamophobic conspiracy theory perpetuated without evidence that claims Muslim fundamentalists convert Hindu and Christian women to Islam through trickery, expressions of false love and even forced marriage.

Members of some of these groups gathered at the local police station in Sri Dungargarh demanding action against the teacher’s family

Much better to read full report at: https://sg.news.yahoo.com/student-17-def...38201.html
(08-07-2023, 12:15 PM)Levin Wrote: [ -> ]Namita Singh
Fri, 7 July 2023 at 6:09 pm SGT

A 20-year-old teacher and her 17-year-old female student eloped from a town in India last month, leading to a country-wide police hunt as well as tensions between religious groups in their town.

The pair’s disappearance has been leapt upon by right-wing Hindu nationalist groups, as the teenager is a Hindu and her teacher is a Muslim.

The family of the student have lodged a police complaint against the woman, a teacher at a private school in Sri Dungargarh, Bikaner, accusing her of kidnapping their daughter.

But in a video posted online that has since been widely shared, the class 12 student proclaimed her “love” for the teacher as the pair came out to their families.

“All of you must be thinking that she or her family members brainwashed and kidnapped me. There is nothing like that,” she said in the four-minute long video. “We have left on our own will because we love each other and can’t stay without each other.

“We are lesbians and we cannot marry any other man. That is why we decided to run away; she didn’t force me at all. You may think that she has asked me to make this video, but it is not so. It is me who has taken the decision to make this video and allay the misunderstanding,” said the minor.

Right-wing Hindu groups are calling the couple’s disappearance a case of “love jihad” – an Islamophobic conspiracy theory perpetuated without evidence that claims Muslim fundamentalists convert Hindu and Christian women to Islam through trickery, expressions of false love and even forced marriage.

Members of some of these groups gathered at the local police station in Sri Dungargarh demanding action against the teacher’s family

Much better to read full report at: https://sg.news.yahoo.com/student-17-def...38201.html

Thank you for sharing.

One point for you!  Big Grin