SG Talk
Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - Printable Version

+- SG Talk (https://sgtalk.net)
+-- Forum: SG Talk (https://sgtalk.net/Forum-SG-Talk)
+--- Forum: Market Talk (https://sgtalk.net/Forum-Market-Talk)
+--- Thread: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. (/Thread-Bike-tyre-punchet-gear-shift-cable-broke-took-to-bike-shop-this-is-what-happened)

Pages: 1 2

Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - sgbuffett - 28-08-2021

The gear shift spoilt I just used the bike on one fixed gear for last 3 months. Then a few days ago the back wheel no air. I went to check both inner tube and got problem.

Because I use the bike almost every single day for all distances within 3km of my home for last 5yrs I will bike....I needed to get it fixed fast so that my transport expenditure does not shoot up taking bus here and there.

I went to the bike shop to ask. The guy said $120 fix both problems...

What?  I told him the bike brand new only cost me $200!!

He basically told me to take it or leave it.

Went online to check tyre+inner tube+tool =$19. Break shift cable and housing less than $20. Watch YouTube to see how its done......

Decided to fix it myself.

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - pervertosan - 28-08-2021

i hope these efforts give you joy and accomplishment…..sometimes it’s ok to live life a little…not everything can be translated into cost savings.

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - WhatDoYouThink? - 28-08-2021

he's not keen to do yr business

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - SotongOngTee - 28-08-2021

(28-08-2021, 09:24 AM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  he's not keen to do yr business

Yalor.....how could anyone capitalise on any Buffet.

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - winbig - 28-08-2021

Within 3km radius can walk and exercise. No need bike. Not very far.

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - klat - 28-08-2021

(28-08-2021, 09:32 AM)winbig Wrote:  Within 3km radius can walk and exercise. No need bike. Not very far.

But bike advantage, can carry heavy stuff

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - Cmpunk - 28-08-2021

Maybe just the shifter wire broken and tire so easy to change

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - WhatDoYouThink? - 28-08-2021

the bike shop guy gotto pay rent, income tax, insurances, utilities, and got several mouths to feed.

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - EXBB - 28-08-2021

(28-08-2021, 08:24 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  The gear shift spoilt I just used the bike on one fixed gear for last 3 months. Then a few days ago the back wheel no air. I went to check both inner tube and got problem.

Because I use the bike almost every single day for all distances within 3km of my home for last 5yrs I will bike....I needed to get it fixed fast so that my transport expenditure does not shoot up taking bus here and there.

Went online to check tyre+inner tube+tool =$19. Break shift cable and housing less than $20. Watch YouTube to see how its done......

Sad..sgbuffet riding bike...knnb ccb

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - theold - 28-08-2021

If you need to use it urgently, the parts can buy at the decathlon.

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - sgbuffett - 28-08-2021

(28-08-2021, 10:17 AM)theold Wrote:  If you need to use it urgently, the parts can buy at the decathlon.

Thanks I didn't think of this. Will drop by decathlon later

I was thinking just fixing my punchet inner tube first with this sealant product....claims it last lifetime of the inner tube.
I can fix the gear later ...looks very simple

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - wendychan - 28-08-2021

its easy enough to fix a puncture the normal way

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - sgbuffett - 28-08-2021

(28-08-2021, 10:30 AM)wendychan Wrote:  its easy enough to fix a puncture the normal way
By normal you mean the old fashion way to take out the inner tube find the hole by putting it under water then paste a "plaster" over it?

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - theold - 28-08-2021

The plaster Diaso also have.

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - wendychan - 28-08-2021

(28-08-2021, 10:34 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  By normal you mean the old fashion way to take out the inner tube find the hole by putting it under water then paste a "plaster" over it?

just change a new tube,

check the inside of the tyre as well

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - hansamu - 28-08-2021

(28-08-2021, 10:07 AM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  the bike shop guy gotto pay rent, income tax, insurances, utilities, and got several mouths to feed.

True, let others earn some.
Spend  and turn our economy upward !!

(28-08-2021, 10:41 AM)wendychan Wrote:  just change a new tube,

check the inside of the tyre as well

Okay ...got it. Going now to buy new tube at decathlon.

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - wulala - 28-08-2021

(28-08-2021, 08:24 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  The gear shift spoilt I just used the bike on one fixed gear for last 3 months. Then a few days ago the back wheel no air. I went to check both inner tube and got problem.

you can also send to X-tra (NTUC) branch where they sell bike. (few years back) I think $20 only. now maybe higher.
Giant Tampines also provide repair service, i think also around that price, you can give them a call first

(28-08-2021, 10:42 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Okay ...got it. Going now to buy new tube at decathlon.

i wonder if you bring the wheel to decathalon and buy a tube there, will they help you change?

(28-08-2021, 10:45 AM)wendychan Wrote:  i wonder if you bring the wheel to decathalon and buy a tube there, will they help you change?

Hmmm..... The service so 5 star? Tube should be only $8 to $12 only....

(28-08-2021, 10:45 AM)wendychan Wrote:  i wonder if you bring the wheel to decathalon and buy a tube there, will they help you change?

They actually do bike servicing and maintenance for a fee.

I think I will do it myself ...not to save money but so I can learn something and getting some hands on.

https://www.decathlon.sg/maintenance-and-repair

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - winbig - 28-08-2021

(28-08-2021, 09:46 AM)klat Wrote:  But bike advantage, can carry heavy stuff

Everyday need to carry heavy stuff? When need to carry heavy stuff then use bike.

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - Cmpunk - 28-08-2021

Better dont bring to decathlon to change in the end same price as bike shop. Just buy the tube will do and the bike must be the brand they stated

I have gone to Decathlon.
They don't have my size of tyres and tube.
Most of the sizes is meant for the bikes they sell.
But they do sell a $3 for 8 pieces of plaster seal will try to use that to fix the leak.

Then the break cable?

The old type of plaster and a tube of rubber glue.
The break cable, the inner wire. There are a lot of thrown away spoilt bicycles.

https://www.lazada.sg/products/front-rear-bicycle-brake-cable-wire-2-pcs-for-bicycle-bike-i798450191-s2632372947.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:13754226424!119527776210!!!pla-297963845945!c!297963845945!2632372947!230498176&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoq-rguzS8gIV5pVLBR0IfAdmEAQYAyABEgIUevD_BwE

You need one or two adjustable spanners. Or the equipment(kit) that comes with the bicycle.

(28-08-2021, 12:02 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I have gone to Decathlon.
They don't have my size of tyres and tube.
Most of the sizes is meant for the bikes they sell.
But they do sell a $3 for 8 pieces of plaster seal will try to use that to fix the leak.

what size tyre you got?

RE: Bike tyre punchet gear shift cable broke..took to bike shop.. this is what happened. - SotongOngTee - 28-08-2021

(28-08-2021, 12:05 PM)theold Wrote:  Then the break cable?

Break cable cannot use one, if brake cable then ok. Thinking

one way is go to the condo nearby and ask the security or managing agent if they got abandoned bikes to get rid of or to sell at lalong price. old ones can reuse the parts. some are still quite good, abandoned by expatriate tenants who had moved away or returned home

or go to another bike shop , ask them how to fix... cannot all be charging $100++