SG Talk
$120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - Printable Version

+- SG Talk (https://sgtalk.net)
+-- Forum: SG Talk (https://sgtalk.net/Forum-SG-Talk)
+--- Forum: Market Talk (https://sgtalk.net/Forum-Market-Talk)
+--- Thread: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam (/Thread-120k-gone-Woman-loses-father-s-retirement-fund-after-falling-for-scam)

Pages: 1 2

$120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - Bigiron - 28-06-2023

💸 $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam

This victim visited a UOB bank to update her passbook, and that was when she realised that over $120,000 had been transferred out from the account, leaving behind only about $700.

READ: https://bit.ly/3Nxhhi1

Follow @AsiaOnecom for all the latest updates.

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - starbugs - 28-06-2023

She can still say she is not stupid?

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - wendychan - 29-06-2023

this scam has been around for a while already.....has been widely reported in media
she really is stupid..

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - Huliwang - 29-06-2023

How to pass the blame to the bank like this? Looks like no amount of cyber security, physical token, facial scan, 2FAs can prevent scamming with people like her.    Rolleyes

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - lylcnn - 29-06-2023

(29-06-2023, 07:17 AM)wendychan Wrote:  this scam has been around for a while already.....has been widely reported in media
she really is stupid..

Not everyone read every news leh....
Anyway, any idea if it's the case that once scammer's app was downloaded into her phone, it's gone case as the app can monitor what she typed?

If so, then Android phone much more susceptible as can sideload (non official) apk which iOS not allowed?

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - Sentinel - 29-06-2023

(29-06-2023, 07:58 AM)lylcnn Wrote:  Not everyone read every news leh....
Anyway, any idea if it's the case that once scammer's app was downloaded into her phone, it's gone case as the app can monitor what she typed?

If so, then Android phone much more susceptible as can sideload (non official) apk which iOS not allowed?

You actually believe the press report is it? Either the press is lying or she is lying

She (name:YOU) said they deleted the apps they got her to download on her phone, and also deleted her calls

Got such a thing meh? You better think very hard before you answer 

Unless you are also either a liar or really stewpig

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - Sentinel - 29-06-2023

(29-06-2023, 07:58 AM)lylcnn Wrote:  Not everyone read every news leh....

Who gave you the idea iOS does not allow?

SMH

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - singlon - 29-06-2023

when u studyboy like oldman singlion on network management
u know they can see your cards even with encryption
we cannot be certained anymore whoever they are.
They have corrupted my CDC show qr code meaning they can starve you.
Internet is free after a firefight with them

[Image: Screenshot-2023-06-29-at-08-03-01-Singte...s-read.png]

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - singlon - 29-06-2023

singlion is now on Commands
snap refresh --unhold
20 50 unattended update automatics
now studying nmcli managing network manager
will get to know my connection No blur king

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - limpeh394 - 29-06-2023

>former Chinese-language editor You Mei Zhen
haha, SPH Employed stupiak to be editor

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - lylcnn - 29-06-2023

(29-06-2023, 08:03 AM)Sentinel Wrote:  You actually believe the press report is it? Either the press is lying or she is lying

She (name:YOU) said they deleted the apps they got her to download on her phone, and also deleted her calls

Got such a thing meh? You better think very hard before you answer 

Unless you are also either a liar or really stewpig

Liddat say then everything read can be thrown out of the window. Nothing can be concluded or learnt since article riddled with untruths.

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - Sharexchange - 29-06-2023

Lol...good la...CCP scam own CCP stupid 傻哔

(29-06-2023, 08:05 AM)Sentinel Wrote:  Who gave you the idea iOS does not allow?

SMH

can ios install outside of AppStore? Pls share more then

(29-06-2023, 08:29 AM)lylcnn Wrote:  
can ios install outside of AppStore? Pls share more then

It is possible to install apps outside of the App Store on iOS. Some of the ways to do it are:

(29-06-2023, 08:25 AM)lylcnn Wrote:  Liddat say then everything read can be thrown out of the window. Nothing can be concluded or learnt since article riddled with untruths.

Exactly

You're learning fast......................................................I hope

(29-06-2023, 08:38 AM)Sentinel Wrote:  
It is possible to install apps outside of the App Store on iOS. Some of the ways to do it are:
  • Using Safari to download apps from official websites
  • Using CopyTrans Shelbee to download apps from your computer
  • Using a developer account or a provisioning profile to install apps that are compiled by yourself or someone else
  • Using a subscription-based alternate app marketplace, like BuildStore

Thanks. Looks like not really possible for scammer to trojan horse "custom" app into ios phones

(29-06-2023, 08:48 AM)lylcnn Wrote:  Thanks. Looks like not really possible for scammer to trojan horse "custom" app into ios phones

Why not? 

Give your technical reasons

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - K88 shu shu - 29-06-2023

I remember there was a report a Chinese woman living in SGP kena scammed more than a few million S$ after getting call from "China Police authority".

Chinese cheat Chinese, 5,000 yr history.

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - Oyk - 29-06-2023

(29-06-2023, 07:54 AM)Huliwang Wrote:  How to pass the blame to the bank like this? Looks like no amount of cyber security, physical token, facial scan, 2FAs can prevent scamming with people like her.    Rolleyes

You had been ganging up with a few SgTalkers to cyberbully me, but I am made of tougher material than you think.  But your passing those remarks on this woman and adding that emoji there show your lack of empathy, and I found that to be disgusting.

One can be born a helluva intelligent but uses his brain to do bad things, for eg, going around to scam peepur...is someone who should be condemned.  One can be born a helluva stupid and got scammed, but that is not her fault.  She is being insulted by you here for something which is not her fault.

It's like someone born with a strong and big body who does not use his strength to help others but instead bullies and beats them up.  You keep quiet.  And someone who was born with a small body, and weak, and got bullied and beaten by the strong man, you condemn her for being small sized.

In the world of scams, it is the smart peepur who take advantage of the gullible ones although sometimes even smart people may get scammed.

I don't comment on a person whether he is intelligent or stupid.  Rather, I look at what he does.  An intelligent person doing bad things is worse than a stupid woman doing good things.

(29-06-2023, 09:01 AM)Sentinel Wrote:  Why not? 

Give your technical reasons

Read as either a developer transferring own apps or subscription-based marketplace which should be restricted.

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - Oyk - 29-06-2023

In the not-too-distant past, thieves would steal from the rich. They would try to break into a rich man's house to steal. They didn't go to kampungs to steal from the poor.

Today, a bank account, a telephone number is just that. You use AI to scan these numbers for victims. The owner of these numbers may not be in Singapore's Who's Who of the top one hundred richest men and women.

When you scam, you might cause undue suffering to someone who is poor or of no big means to be scammed.

Of all people this scammer targeted, he/she targeted a young woman......she's only 38.....who unfortunately......damned suay I must say..........had a stroke which left half of her body paralyzed and unable to work. I feel for her.

Heaven is watching you, scammers.

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - K88 shu shu - 29-06-2023

ppl kena scammed because greed or fear.

the other day me received a sms claiming I got outstanding unpaid bill with LTA.

I deleted the msg cos I don't drive there is no reason I got anything to do with LTA.

(29-06-2023, 09:15 AM)lylcnn Wrote:  Read as either a developer transferring own apps or subscription-based marketplace which should be restricted.

This is exactly similar to what an Android does, so what makes you think that ios is more resilient?

Both can sideload, so what is your point?

(29-06-2023, 09:24 AM)Sentinel Wrote:  This is exactly similar to what an Android does, so what makes you think that ios is more resilient?

download apps only from either Apple store or google play store, no problem.

(29-06-2023, 09:24 AM)Sentinel Wrote:  This is exactly similar to what an Android does, so what makes you think that ios is more resilient?

Android one (scammer) can just send across apk file to install. No need to be developer account or have any subscription.

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - FangFang - 29-06-2023

It real for this digital world... go back to manual please.

(29-06-2023, 09:35 AM)lylcnn Wrote:  Android one (scammer) can just send across apk file to install. No need to be developer account or have any subscription.

As long as there is a hole, even a small one, someone will peek through it

The worse is one think that it is a smaller hole, so no one will peek

A horrible false sense of security

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - Huliwang - 29-06-2023

(29-06-2023, 09:39 AM)FangFang Wrote:  It real for this digital world... go back to manual please.
Aiyah, even manual also got people kena scammed lah. Remember last time got some ah mahs went market then met a Taoist who showed her a cancer healing stone then talked her to go home, took out her bank book and went bank to withdraw all the funds in there and gave him.    Rolleyes

(29-06-2023, 09:43 AM)Sentinel Wrote:  As long as there is a hole, even a small one, someone will peek through it

The worse is one think that it is a smaller hole, so no one will peek

A horrible false sense of security

Very true

RE: $120k gone: Woman loses father's retirement fund after falling for scam - p1acebo - 29-06-2023

When I have the time, I always answer and end up verbally abusing the scammers with various colourful choice vulgarities. Either that or I don't answer the call at all. No halfway for me Big Grin