‘Why should I respect elders if they do not deserve it?’ — Singaporean

‘Why should I respect elders if they do not deserve it?’ — Singaporean asks

https://theindependent.sg/why-should-i-r...rean-asks/
[+] 1 user Likes Bigiron's post

A sincere person with a heart of humility and love will just respect others whether they deserve it.
[+] 2 users Like Ernesto's post

must respect elder??? they are older than u...next time u also old want young to repsect u right???

respect is cheap what?? no need money, and u get respect back..
[+] 1 user Likes victortan's post

age is not a factor lah...who say elder must respect ? just because they going to grave soon we must respect meh? tui lei la...

I thought there’s a saying “respect needs to be earned?” Especially in SG where we were told that we are meritorcracy

(19-03-2024, 10:21 PM)victortan Wrote:  must respect elder??? they are older than u...next time u also old want young to repsect u right???

respect is cheap what?? no need money, and u get respect back..
Talk like the papaya. You vote me I give you back chicken wing....😅😅

(19-03-2024, 10:29 PM)Buffybuffy Wrote:  I thought there’s a saying “respect needs to be earned?” Especially in SG where we were told that we are meritorcracy

This is the worldly teaching.Thats why this society becoming very "sick".....😅

Can only say these ppl worse that the blue color indian workers. Those workers frequently see them give up seats to those who need it.

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

(19-03-2024, 10:23 PM)Sharexchange Wrote:  age is not a factor lah...who say elder must respect ? just because they going to grave soon we must respect meh? tui lei la...

pls post this when you hit 50, i.e. provided you can live until 50.

(19-03-2024, 10:29 PM)Buffybuffy Wrote:  I thought there’s a saying “respect needs to be earned?” Especially in SG where we were told that we are meritorcracy

The key is if they do not deserve it, more referring those who do evil.
if you only judge by meritocracy, everyone may have different opinions. 

If you think general elderly has contributed nothing to what Sg has achieved today
then who make it works in the first place, just govt or just luck?

btw the editor Anna Maria Romero may be not local also feel Sg becoming
little respect to elderly.

We should be alarmed.

(19-03-2024, 10:21 PM)victortan Wrote:  must respect elder??? they are older than u...next time u also old want young to repsect u right??? respect is cheap what?? no need money, and u get respect back..

Younger S'poreans entering the workforce must ask themselves who contributed to their subsidised education through primary and secondary school, and enabled them to benefit from student loans in university.  Apart from their parents or grandparents, it was taxpayers who made this possible  by contributing to Govt coffers. 
[+] 1 user Likes EvertonDiehard's post

He is disrespecting himself.

He forgot he will grow old , naggy and irritable too. It's part of the human biology.

(20-03-2024, 09:06 AM)watchfirst9 Wrote:  TIf you think general elderly has contributed nothing to what Sg has achieved today then who make it works in the first place, just govt or just luck?

The contributions of the elderly as productive workers and taxpayers who played a major part in S'pore’s past 59 years of nation building must not be forgotten. The younger generation must not begrudge help and respect to our seniors.

vice-versa

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

what he said is 100% true, I have already visiting my elder relative during CNY

I do visit my parent, but why I being the youngest have to visit all the other elder home year after year, like my older brothers, uncles and aunties etc etc.

why can't they visit me? so I stopped visiting 15 years ago. they dun bother to ask me why too

(20-03-2024, 10:32 AM)TopSage Wrote:  what he said is 100% true, I have already visiting my elder relative during CNY. I do visit my parent, but why I being the youngest have to visit all the other elder home year after year, like my older brothers, uncles and aunties etc etc. why can't they visit me? so I stopped visiting 15 years ago. they dun bother to ask me why too

I visit my parents every weekend and take them out for a meal, their medical appts and outings. They are lonely and love the company. I also give them a monthly allowance even though they don't need the money because of their savings and investments. How can I ever repay them for raising me since birth and also taking care of my children when they were babies and toddlers? They have earned my love and respect.

(20-03-2024, 09:13 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  The contributions of the elderly as productive workers and taxpayers who played a major part in S'pore’s past 59 years of nation building must not be forgotten. The younger generation must not begrudge help and respect to our seniors.

sadly many ppl think they will never go old and face the same problem.

(20-03-2024, 10:54 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  I visit my parents every weekend and take them out for a meal, their medical appts and outings. They are lonely and love the company. I also give them a monthly allowance even though they don't need the money because of their savings and investments. How can I ever repay them for raising me since birth and also taking care of my children when they were babies and toddlers? They have earned my love and respect.

salute and respect a filial piety you.

(20-03-2024, 11:04 AM)K88 shu shu Wrote:  salute and respect a filial piety you.

[Image: b600e27ddee5156fd2e33846b1319215.jpg]

Giving up a seat is a gracious act of kindness not out of respect. Elderly when asking for a seat if none offered can do so nicely and not overly demanding. The best situation would be that the more abled gives up willingly without a prompt from the elderly.

Respect is a different topic, indeed respect is earned but it is not judge by the giver alone. Who is to say the elderly or rich deserves more respect than the poor or young.

Be nice because if we pay it forward the world would be a nicer place even if it's temporal.

(20-03-2024, 11:18 AM)Sticw Wrote:  Giving up a seat is a gracious act of kindness not out of respect. Elderly when asking for a seat if none offered can do so nicely and not overly demanding. The best situation would be that the more abled gives up willingly without a prompt from the elderly.

Respect is a different topic, indeed respect is earned but it is not judge by the giver alone. Who is to say the elderly or rich deserves more respect than the poor or young.

Be nice because if we pay it forward the world would be a nicer place even if it's temporal.

You nailed it lah. Just be compassion and kind to all beings and no need to go around respecting every old folks because dunno who said so.        Big Grin

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

I believe that we need to be kind, gentle and courteous to children and seniors because they may need our assistance and protection in public. Simple acts like opening the door, giving up our seats on public transport, assisting them when crossing the road or up or down an overhead bridge should be 2nd nature to able bodied adults.  On a few occasions in the past, my family came across crying or lost children at crowded malls. We stopped to ask if they needed help and called their parents on our phones after getting their numbers.  These are simple acts of kindness that won't cost us much, if anything.

没文化,真可怕!

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(19-03-2024, 09:46 PM)Bigiron Wrote:  ‘Why should I respect elders if they do not deserve it?’ — Singaporean asks

https://theindependent.sg/why-should-i-r...rean-asks/

Have to cherry pick . Some are real irratance some are nice.

Chinese virtues. 
一曰礼,二曰义,三曰廉,四曰耻

Got 1 v kualan wanted to shoot n wash other’s brain in wm how to respect?

No weapons that forms against me shall prosper
No tongue that rises against me I shall condemn 
☝️

(20-03-2024, 12:26 PM)Blin Wrote:  Have to cherry pick . Some are real irratance some are nice.

My elderly parents may be self-centred at times, but I don't blame them. They have stopped caring for children and grandchildren for decades, and have only themselves to take care of. That is part and parcel of growing old. They have already given so much of themselves to us and our own children. It is time for them to concentrate on their own well-being.

I will not respect any elderly if they litter.

In fact, I will say loud to embarass the old man!

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(20-03-2024, 12:39 PM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  Got 1 v kualan wanted to shoot n wash other’s brain in wm how to respect?

Seniors may have left the workforce for decades, so they are less diplomatic, patient and inhibited. They basically say whatever is on their mind and ruffle more feathers in that way. 

(20-03-2024, 12:50 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  

Seniors may have left the workforce for decades, so they are less diplomatic, patient and inhibited. They basically say whatever is on their mind and ruffle more feathers in that way. 

Those are unhappy people hoping to find sandbags to punch lah 
They can’t throw their temper at own siblings for fear being drag to old folks home.

No weapons that forms against me shall prosper
No tongue that rises against me I shall condemn 
☝️