“Asset rich, cash poor” lifestyle

Quote: 

By Ryan Ong,

When I was in school, I learned about Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. You have probably heard of it – it’s a pyramid that suggests people will look for food and shelter first, followed by physical safety, and lastly, psychological needs like friendship, etc.

However, this has become harder to believe as many I know today seem to prioritise their esteem needs and desire for material belongings instead, all for the sake of keeping up their appearances.

In my teen years, I had friends who were willing to forego lunches or wear worn-out shoes, just so they could afford the latest tablets or phones. As an adult, I’ve also seen people forego home ownership, just so they can own a car that they don’t really need.

In fact, I have an acquaintance from my university days, who exemplifies this “asset rich, cash poor” lifestyle. Though he owns a $17,000 watch (bought as an ‘investment’), two club memberships and a Lexus, he’s in fact notorious for being cash strapped. In reality, he owes three or four months of his salary worth of debt on his credit card, paying only the minimum sum due each month.

Situations like these, as well as some of my own life experiences, have caused a significant change in how I view lifestyle choices and the value of money today.   

Generation changes as well as needs. However hope to change to better...

Nowadays, as humans progress, more educated, human expectations , aspirations increase in tandem n with more brilliantt geniuses like eisteins, lkys etc , science, tech advance by leaps bounds, more imventions, dicoveries, more advanced AI, automations etc, more choices attractions eg handphones, consumabkes overwhelm our control, tempting yr wallets...greed temptation take control over us ...n human failires in controlling our greed temptations r being overlooked when refering to maslow's hierachy of needs

.cant compare with sages, morons of past living in caves, long beards, coverings frim top bottim like ghosts of the past...past is past! Past is dead, present future is living ,progress!
[+] 1 user Likes Yin yang's post

(19-12-2021, 09:41 AM)FangFang Wrote:  Generation changes as well as needs. However hope to change to better...

I agree with your statements...... Clapping

in every generations, sure will have stupid people and smart people.

We are Asians. By default, family and face matters.

Owning a car in SG is " stupid ".

This ERP, High COE by Gov, i have to agreed on this because our Country is TOO SMALL for TOO many car owners.

Unless like my rich uncle, ok rah, he is rich somemore boss so getting a car is like a suit Standard thing for a boss to own.
Of course Not all the boss own a car , some Boss my uncle know , earn a lot don't own car, take public transport but is not say a lot boss like this. Only minority.

My Uncle told me there are Some CEO actually never drive to work , take MRT or Bus.
[+] 1 user Likes [[ForeverAlone]]'s post

(19-12-2021, 12:37 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  Owning a car in SG is " stupid ".

This ERP, High COE by Gov, i have to agreed on this because our Country is TOO SMALL for TOO many car owners.

Unless like my rich uncle, ok rah, he is rich somemore boss so getting a car is like a suit Standard thing for a boss to own.
Of course Not all the boss own a car , some Boss my uncle know , earn a lot don't own car, take public transport but is not say a lot boss like this. Only minority.

My Uncle told me there are Some CEO actually never drive to work , take MRT or Bus.

If can afford it, why not.

Most important is buy time. Anything can earn but not time. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Smile

(19-12-2021, 03:18 PM)Niubee Wrote:  If can afford it, why not.

Most important is buy time. Anything can earn but not time. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

You may be right if it was 10 years ago, when the MRT system was not so extensive. But now you can go anywhere in this island via MRT and connected by the numerous buses... Big Grin

(19-12-2021, 03:23 PM)debono Wrote:  You may be right if it was 10 years ago, when the MRT system was not so extensive. But now you can go anywhere in this island via MRT and connected by the numerous buses... Big Grin

Even mrt also need wait and walk around...Not so simple

Smile

(19-12-2021, 04:11 PM)Niubee Wrote:  Even mrt also need wait and walk around...Not so simple

The wait between trains only about 3 minutes lah

tomorrow will be a better day
[+] 1 user Likes surfer's post

Owning a car is for convenience only. At any one time you can use it.

OF course this is why I say PRIME Location always the good bet come property.

Go anywhere is easy , time taken not say long , if take mrt go north, east , west ,south

IF you mention driving save time, than why like to choose BTO flat, near MRT ? Got car why bother?
This is why those stay in ulu place, landed house own a car.

Anywhere , SG Sooooo small. Is not like in Malaysia, USA whereby Car is dam common for each household this is why they own not just one car even come motorbike.

Moi t shirt shorts n slipper guy 😐

There is no right or wrong decisions. 
One only has to bear the consequences that one makes  Big Grin

(19-12-2021, 11:16 AM)toothpick Wrote:  We are Asians. By default, family and face matters.

The American way of life is likely the mainstream nowadays, ie life big on credit and it's perfectly fine to die owing credit cards and be a bankrupt a few times in your life.

You will own nothing and be very happy.

(19-12-2021, 04:11 PM)Niubee Wrote:  Even mrt also need wait and walk around...Not so simple

(19-12-2021, 06:52 PM)surfer Wrote:  The wait between trains only about 3 minutes lah

(19-12-2021, 06:54 PM)surfer Wrote:  Owning a car is for convenience only. At any one time you can use it.

It is a headache when one needs to find a parking lot, sometimes the parking fees is so high that it is cheaper to travel by taxi..... Clapping

We have another lifestyle ….

CPF RICH

CASH POOR

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

(19-12-2021, 09:30 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  We have another lifestyle ….

CPF RICH

CASH POOR

But ultimately it is your money and you can spend it when you retire..... Laughing Rotfl

(19-12-2021, 09:33 PM)debono Wrote:  But ultimately it is your money and you can spend it when you retire..... Laughing Rotfl

and gib you bit by bit …. when 65yrs old ……………. as of now ….. dun know future how

(19-12-2021, 09:30 PM)debono Wrote:  It is a headache when one needs to find a parking lot, sometimes the parking fees is so high that it is cheaper to travel by taxi..... Clapping

High parking fees? You mean CBD areas? For me now that I'm out of the rat race , I take the mrt to town and not drive my car . No need to worry about finding a lot and high parking fees.

[+] 1 user Likes surfer's post

(19-12-2021, 09:30 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  We have another lifestyle ….

CPF RICH

CASH POOR

Then that is poor financial planning. I have about equal amount of CPF and cash.

U will only realise dat CPF is crucial critical in yr long sunset twiglight years .

Now of course, some v unhappy cos they have not thot far enuf..life is a tough marathon for every mortal !

after 55 you can use cpf as savings account with high interest rate. It's good for oldies.

(20-12-2021, 12:08 PM)guffaw Wrote:  after 55 you can use cpf as savings account with high interest rate. It's good for oldies.

That is a good reason to have money in the CPF.....can get high interest rates........ Clapping Laughing
[+] 1 user Likes debono's post

(20-12-2021, 08:19 AM)surfer Wrote:  Then that is poor financial planning. I have about equal amount of CPF and cash.

Not all is as fortunate as us.

(20-12-2021, 12:22 PM)debono Wrote:  That is a good reason to have money in the CPF.....can get high interest rates........ Clapping Laughing

Yes, but I am afraid of the goal post shifting …. this year alone increase medisave minimum ….$60k

(20-12-2021, 01:45 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  Yes, but I am afraid of the goal post shifting …. this year alone increase medisave minimum ….$60k

I am not going to split hairs on this, because you are not wrong to conclude that CPF laws can change overnight, that is equal to shift goal posts...... Clapping Laughing

I feel is " funny " don't believe Gov so call claim " A lot want to work despite even they already in their 60s, 70s if health still ok "
Some claim good for mental health.

I was ? How about those REAL rich old people enjoy life , already retire? their mental health not good?
Is not, is all depend what they do, now got more time do readings , grow plants, or do any hobbies they want to do yet no time,

also maybe some investments , stock, forex , even cryptocurrency of course " provided u know what you are doing "

I feel Gov mention ones are those " pioneer gen " I see the future gen Want to retire early but sadly they can't because leg tie on housing loans and more debts. Inflation, more pricey BTO Flats, condos, etc

(20-12-2021, 02:26 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  I feel is " funny " don't believe Gov so call claim "  A lot want to work despite even they already in their 60s, 70s if health still ok "
Some claim good for mental health.

I was ? How about those REAL rich old people enjoy life , already retire? their mental health not good?
Is not, is all depend what they do, now got more time do readings , grow plants, or do any hobbies they want to do yet no time,

also maybe some investments , stock, forex , even cryptocurrency of course " provided u know what you are doing "

I feel Gov mention ones are those " pioneer gen " I see the future gen Want to retire early but sadly they can't because leg tie on housing loans and more debts.  Inflation, more pricey BTO Flats, condos, etc

Generally speaking, rich people can afford all sorts of fanciful activities that can allow them to continue exercise their social, physical (ahem i mean golf), intellectual activities. They wont have so much issue of isolation, withdrawal etc which can contribute to mental issues. Poorer minions on the other hand, may experience stress due to lack of resources and social support.

Will Jac post his annual CPF statement soon?