“Is a degree really important?”: Singaporeans weigh in

“Is a degree really important?”: Singaporeans weigh in

https://theindependent.sg/is-a-degree-re...-weigh-in/

Many towkays I know dun hv degree. Mostly sec 4 like tkl, a few hv ite certs.

So it shnt be an excuse not to work hard and blame others

of course

depend on the system you are in

in SGP
FT wirh foreign Uptron U is more valuable than locals one

Same old question again.
Expect the same answers.

Weigh what.

I know a few former classmates with more degrees than a thermometer, but after getting laid off in their early 50s, it didn't help them find another senior management position. 

(20-04-2024, 05:02 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  I know a few former classmates with more degrees than a thermometer, but after getting laid off in their early 50s, it didn't help them find another senior management position. 

in europe
there is age discrimination law

in SGP PAP
there is no such law
even if there is
nobody care like the MOM FT replace Singaporean job statistics
release the truth after 10 years series

This kind of question has no meaning. It's like asking if one's look matters.

Ignore List: Oyk

Degree is essential if you want to find a job, in many other countries in Asia master degree is the minimum requirement for job seekers, if you dunt have a degree you are going nowhere. Having said that many business owners have no education, doing business and being your own boss you dunt need to have a degree.

(20-04-2024, 05:50 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  Degree is essential if you want to find a job, in many other countries in Asia master degree is the minimum requirement for job seekers, if you dunt have a degree you are going nowhere. Having said that many business owners have no education, doing business and being your own boss you dunt need to have a degree.

business owner are also gamblers
they get degree holder to run the business
once listed in the stock market
the owner sell the business to the public
get 100 times the profit for himself
new havard degree holder CEO take over the business

that how it work
opportunity

(20-04-2024, 05:58 PM)grotesqueness Wrote:  business owner are also gamblers
they get degree holder to run the business
once listed in the stock market
the owner sell the business to the public
get 100 times the profit for himself
new havard degree holder CEO take over the business

that how it work
opportunity
In the U.S. many graduates start own business after Uni, in Spore people prefer working for others to earn a small salary. Business owners can easily make millions within short period of time, many of them selling fish at wet markets drive expensive cars.

(20-04-2024, 06:19 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  Business owners can easily make millions within short period of time, many of them selling fish at wet markets drive expensive cars.

not many of them lah
please ask your cunt not to spread open leg FAKE news so much all the time

For professionals like doc lawyer accountant architect .... Ofc university training is needed. For general degrees maybe they are useful for job applications and after a few yrs they are not that relevant already

A degree is important if you qualify for it.

It is not important if you are not degree material but still insist on getting a paper from any 野鸡 university.

(20-04-2024, 05:43 PM)grotesqueness Wrote:  in europe there is age discrimination law in SGP PAP there is no such law even if there is nobody care like the MOM FT replace Singaporean job statistics release the truth after 10 years series

Many seniors are prompted by caution to work longer to save for their retirement. However, in spite of changes to the Retirement and Re-employment Act, older workers are still not receiving the protection from discrimination by employers based on age rather than their ability. Under this law, employers still have the flexibility to transfer older staff to their subsidiaries or other companies, and may also terminate them with financial compensation, if the first 2 options are considered unfeasible.  

(20-04-2024, 06:32 PM)starbugs Wrote:  A degree is important if you qualify for it. It is not important if you are not degree material but still insist on getting a paper from any 野鸡 university.

Many S'poreans who failed to gain admission to a reputable university, obtain a general degree from some lowly ranked tertiary institution that nobody has heard of, just to have a piece of paper to gain a foot in the door of employment. With so many graduates these days, employers aren't likely to be impressed with such applicants.

(20-04-2024, 06:24 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  For professionals like doc lawyer accountant architect .... Ofc university training is needed. For general degrees maybe they are useful for job applications and after a few yrs they are not that relevant already

Computers are getting better at making sense of unstructured information, even if technology is not able to tell, with absolute certainty, the best course of treatment for a patient. Doctors should be concerned about how far technology has encroached on clinicians’ turf.  This is to be expected, as AI systems get smarter, the line is getting blurred between computers recommending the course of treatment and making decisions.

NUS is top ranking but did the fresh grads earn S$10k per mth?

CECA University can be top 30,000 and their grads earn S$66k per mth

NTU Fake Degree in the 80s but their grads like Malaysian Traitor has likely IQ50 only

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

Me pri 6 drop out but now earning $5k/month as grab food delivery.

No need simi degree lor.

(20-04-2024, 07:01 PM)K88 shu shu Wrote:  Me pri 6 drop out but now earning $5k/month as grab food delivery.

No need simi degree lor.

Your job need use leg power can do how long? 60? 65? Etc

(20-04-2024, 06:19 PM)lvlrsSTI Wrote:  In the U.S. many graduates start own business after Uni, in Spore people prefer working for others to earn a small salary. Business owners can easily make millions within short period of time, many of them selling fish at wet markets drive expensive cars.

Sinkies have no guts to start their own business lah. All quite satisfied to work for others. Every month get a salary and no need to worry about the company.

(20-04-2024, 07:15 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Sinkies have no guts to start their own business lah. All quite satisfied to work for others. Every month get a salary and no need to worry about the company.

That is becuz Spore govt meddle too much into many businesses in Spore. Those can make monies they somehow one leg stick in. They even encourage some former govt entities to branch out setup shop but in the end bid govt projects do. The monies stay within govt so as to speak.

(20-04-2024, 07:09 PM)sgh Wrote:  Your job need use leg power can do how long? 60? 65? Etc

Why worry thing so far ahead?

今朝有酒今朝醉.

(20-04-2024, 07:21 PM)sgh Wrote:  That is becuz Spore govt meddle too much into many businesses in Spore. Those can make monies they somehow one leg stick in. They even encourage some former govt entities to branch out setup shop but in the end bid govt projects do. The monies stay within govt so as to speak.

I can speak from experience. If you do technical work, it is very difficult to fight against big companies like ST, even though your solution is better. Our GLC are competing too much with the SMEs and they have a big advantage cos they could provide all kinds of support which you cannot.

I remember one company asking me how long I can support my products. I told them 1 year at most. They insisted on 10 years. I can't even guarantee my company is still afloat after 10 years.

(20-04-2024, 07:31 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  I can speak from experience. If you do technical work, it is very difficult to fight against big companies like ST, even though your solution is better. Our GLC are competing too much with the SMEs and they have a big advantage cos they could provide all kinds of support which you cannot.

I remember one company asking me how long I can support my products. I told them 1 year at most. They insisted on 10 years. I can't even guarantee my company is still afloat after 10 years.

Agree and Spore customer market is not big enough as most generous spender is govt hence they every year throw IT projects out as need to expend taxpayers budget. So most IT startup with govt links e.g former high rank civil servant setup shop bid govt projects and do. They have close to zero private company customer projects landed. I used to work in one of them. Spinoff from one of NUS research unit encourage by govt to setup company.

(20-04-2024, 06:58 PM)Ola Wrote:  NUS is top ranking but did the fresh grads earn S$10k per mth?

CECA University can be top 30,000 and their grads earn S$66k per mth

NTU Fake Degree in the 80s but their grads like Malaysian Traitor has likely IQ50 only

NUS (Not Upto Standard) is not top 10 compare to those in UK and US

too many fake news about our local U being top ranking

In the era of AI, Chatgpt, fake overseas degrees, don't waste time obtaining a degree nowadays.

(20-04-2024, 08:26 PM)mikotan Wrote:  In the era of AI, Chatgpt, fake overseas degrees, don't waste time obtaining a degree nowadays.

[Image: IMG-9132.jpg]

[Image: IMG-9131.jpg]

Yeah, while self-entitled spoilt strawberries debate about degree relevancy …. SG is importing loads of ah tiong with Masters and PHD
Tiong minimum is a Master and btw their master's are from top Uni around the including NUS & NTU
When they take your jobs … dun whine and beach

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

(20-04-2024, 06:56 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  Computers are getting better at making sense of unstructured information, even if technology is not able to tell, with absolute certainty, the best course of treatment for a patient. Doctors should be concerned about how far technology has encroached on clinicians’ turf.  This is to be expected, as AI systems get smarter, the line is getting blurred between computers recommending the course of treatment and making decisions.

Conventional AI gives recommendations, generative AI gives reasonings, and human doctors make use of these information to make final decisions - that's the perfect solutions