1 in 3 S'pore workers expect 4-day work weeks to be a norm

1 in 3 S'pore workers expect 4-day work weeks to be a norm, but experts think there's still a long way to go

Having a four-day work week as a norm across Singapore would hinge on a trigger or turning point, such as Covid-19, which spurred the uptake of flexible work arrangements here, an expert said.

🗓 https://tdy.sg/3vwXTN8 

@todayonlinesg

No wonder Foreigners able to get the job as Locals want less day at work.

(05-04-2024, 02:59 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  No wonder Foreigners able to get the job as Locals want less day at work.

Judging by the many expat cyclists on our roads during peak morning rush hour, most of these foreigners are working from home 2-3 days a week. To put it more accurately, they are supposed to be WFH - not cycling for exercise! 

I notice that many of the residents at my condo appear to be WFH 1-2 days per week.  As such, they may feel that they already have a 3 or 4 day work week.  

(05-04-2024, 03:13 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  I notice that many of the residents at my condo appear to be WFH 1-2 days per week.  As such, they may feel that they already have a 3 or 4 day work week.  

NO every job can WFH , you should know that.
Usually those admin and IT staffs or Marketing Team can WFH due to their job scope some works able to be done from home computer. No need come office.

Only come office when need to face to fact come meeting, no doubt can use Zoom to do meeting but some companies prefer Face to face more easily to assign jobs, discuss etc.

Whereas others doing other job scope like maintenance you can't literally WFH. Even so call the work done by sub con which Public sectors they are doing. Like that must well no need what technical officer in the first place, all the work done by Sub contractor.

Partly because you tell sub con to do the job, you must also personally go to check is it done right. This is why current Govt job is heywire. A lot their technical officer NEVER personally go check despite Sub con claim the job done take photo show them .

(05-04-2024, 02:59 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  No wonder Foreigners able to get the job as Locals want less day at work.

Is introduce by foreigners who embrace AI or automation

a day ago
Steve Cohen says a 4-day work week is coming in part because of AI
The hedge fund billionaire told CNBC's "Squawk Box" on Wednesday that a four-day work week will eventually be the norm, leading to more time for golf.

9 hours ago
Barry Diller thinks we're going to have 4-day workweeks — kind of
Barry Diller believes most employees should return to the office four days per week — but with flexibility on Fridays.

18 hours ago
Senator Bernie Sanders: It’s time for a 4-day work week
Congress should consider implementing a 32-hour work week with no loss in pay to address income and wealth inequality in the US.

While I do not think is our Asian culture, but consider ave 20% sg got mental condition, 
perhaps Sg should introduce reduce an hour per working day for all Sporeans or foreigners workforce
or more part time jobs. 

Machine contribution to GDP set to rise rapidly next few years, unless we spend so much AI is for show only.

(05-04-2024, 03:33 PM)watchfirst9 Wrote:  Is introduce by foreigners who embrace AI or automation

a day ago
Steve Cohen says a 4-day work week is coming in part because of AI
The hedge fund billionaire told CNBC's "Squawk Box" on Wednesday that a four-day work week will eventually be the norm, leading to more time for golf.

9 hours ago
Barry Diller thinks we're going to have 4-day workweeks — kind of
Barry Diller believes most employees should return to the office four days per week — but with flexibility on Fridays.

18 hours ago
Senator Bernie Sanders: It’s time for a 4-day work week
Congress should consider implementing a 32-hour work week with no loss in pay to address income and wealth inequality in the US.

While I do not think is our Asian culture, but consider ave 20% sg got mental condition, 
perhaps Sg should introduce reduce an hour per working day for all Sporeans or foreigners workforce
or more part time jobs. 

Machine contribution to GDP set to rise rapidly next few years, unless we spend so much AI is for show only.

Ang mo WFH already exist Long time ago way before Covi19 lock down. Is during Covi19 lock down people more talk about WFH.

Last time If you tell locals here, I WFH. They will like VERY SHOCK like that and feel Possible meh ? Work from home? Than claim Boring , cannot chit chat with colleagues , gossip blah blah. And After Covi19 all like wanna wish to WFH. Really Hypocrites.

Govt side claim work life balance OF course they can easily implement that. The public sectors, stat boards they don't need to worry no money to pay their civil servant wages , bonus. All from Public funds is already there.

Not enough? Just increase more taxes, charges , GST so many ways for Govt to re generate more money.

Whereas come Private sectors are totally different. Companies , Corporation have to Fight for clients , getting more business thus in return got money to pay their workers wages and bonus beside have to earn profits.

I mean look WFH is " Subjective " , on the other hand those landlord also suffer if Big companies shrink their office size means they don't. need to pay so much rent a big office as half of the workers can WFH.

(05-04-2024, 03:52 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  Ang mo WFH already exist Long time ago way before Covi19 lock down. Is during Covi19 lock down people more talk about WFH.

Last time If you tell locals here, I WFH. They will like VERY SHOCK like that and feel Possible meh ? Work from home? Than claim Boring , cannot chit chat with colleagues , gossip blah blah. And After Covi19 all like wanna wish to WFH. Really Hypocrites.

Govt side claim work life balance OF course they can easily implement that. The public sectors, stat boards they don't need to worry no money to pay their civil servant wages , bonus. All from Public funds is already there.

Not enough? Just increase more taxes, charges , GST so many ways for Govt to re generate more money.

Whereas come Private sectors are totally different. Companies , Corporation have to Fight for clients , getting more business thus in return got money to pay their workers wages and bonus beside have to earn profits.

I mean look WFH is " Subjective " , on the other hand those landlord also suffer if Big companies shrink their office size means they don't. need to pay so much rent a big office as half of the workers can WFH.

I think they not talking about WFH. 
is work replaced by AI or automation. 
Many office works will be decimated even elementary lawyers,editors.
WFH still need to pay them. unless benefits cut.

Such law  like carbon emission may be force to other countries in years to come
So Sg govt can consider make it universal cut of one half hour cut per day. 
Afterall Sporean mental situation is serious and going extinct