12 years of savings gone overnight: Security guard loses over $155,000 in job scam

https://stomp.straitstimes.com/singapore...o-job-scam
[+] 1 user Likes Levin's post

MOM keep giving away the jobs we can do to FTs

At the end, we can only find scam jobs

Well done, Shoot Blank Queen!!

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 1 user Likes Ola's post

A fool and his money...

Around 30% of Singaporeans are vulnerable to scams

What does it take for the govt to act and prevent scams from happening.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

least 1,399 job scam victims have been conned of almost $20 million since May this year, said the police in an advisory in June.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(07-08-2023, 08:54 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  least 1,399 job scam victims have been conned of almost $20 million since May this year, said the police in an advisory in June.

There are 1399 cases 

Singapore until now has not prevented fraud prevention that is common in other countries.

For such large amounts customers are required to verify identity of transferee and the purpose under money laundering laws.

The law already exists to prevent this and the police and authorities are just doing nothing.

Many of such transfers should be blocked

Why would one transfer $60k to a stranger?

UK govt has implemented law to make fraud prevention responsibility of large corporations like bank.

Among the various measures they have to implement one of them is to block  large transfers to other accounts and preventing back to back transfers from transfee account overseas

Why do our authorities not have the competence to do anything when other much larger countries can
[Image: LuBYCrl.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like sgbuffett's post

Maybe all sinkies should be forced to complete a scam awareness course every year before they can use the internet. It's like in many companies where such mandatory training (but in IT security) is enforced. Those who fail or don't do can only use a dumb phone.

He's looking for a job. Why he so naive to transfer $60,000 over?  Why it never strike him that this a scam

Blame digitalisation...155k is a lot of money.

No wonder more and more mental cases even for younger guys who have been scammed.

Can understand fully the excruciating pain and frustration of being scammed.

this scam is so damm old

he was greedy

You have 4 user(s) on ignore
Somme road, alerts,  Choc,  winbig

Foo Mee Har is my sister in law - FACT
https://linktr.ee/freckydoodles
http://www.yuffy.com/trial/clippings.html

Could be unemployed for long time....so desperate so just comply obediently. 

44 years old...

(07-08-2023, 09:16 PM)hansamu Wrote:  Blame digitalisation...155k is a lot of money.

No wonder more and more mental cases even for younger guys who have been scammed.

Can understand fully the excruciating pain and frustration of being scammed.

Actually it can solve easily

There's google app store, apple app store, etc

Singapore should create Singapore app store

Any app in Singapore app stores is screen and safe
Any app in Singapore app store must have Singapore address and registration
That will make Singapore phone users save from scam

Stupid are those overpaid farker never think of that

“a fool and his money are soon parted” 

This guy's story sounds more like an idiot than scam. 
Where got people come out money upfront to work for others? 
Who in the right frame of mind would transfer such large sum of money to an online website without even physically seeing who is receiving the money?  Thinking

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

(07-08-2023, 10:38 PM)Huliwang Wrote:   “a fool and his money are soon parted” 

Who in the right frame of mind would transfer such large sum of money to an online website without even physically seeing who is receiving the money?  Thinking

Actually out of curiosity, I also makan the scammers monies a few times already last year.  $6 each time.  Because they will pay $6 to respondents just to answer their silly surveys.  Then I refused to go further when they ask me enter their telegram chat groups Big Grin

I think they are wiser now.  No payment until you answer survey AND carry out further tasks for $12 Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes p1acebo's post

They are lazy earning fat salaries just like those bankers, why should they care about others? They only busy during elections?

(07-08-2023, 10:54 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  Actually out of curiosity, I also makan the scammers monies a few times already last year.  $6 each time.  Because they will pay $6 to respondents just to answer their silly surveys.  Then I refused to go further when they ask me enter their telegram chat groups Big Grin

I think they are wiser now.  No payment until you answer survey AND carry out further tasks for $12 Big Grin

Waa, you so brave and sharp...can outsmart the freaking scammer.
You have to let them know your Bank's account details to credit your earnings??

can work forever as security guard....its secured...and puts one mind on the Guards.

(07-08-2023, 11:03 PM)hansamu Wrote:  Waa, you so brave and sharp...can outsmart the freaking scammer.
You have to let them know your Bank's account details to credit your earnings??

No need leh. They did ask for my bank account details but I just ask them to use PayNow.  Since they already know my mobile number mah Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

shd keep the $155K and spend $2k every mth . could last 6.5 yrs

Could it be greed? Since he already working as a security guard right? Thinking

(07-08-2023, 08:49 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Around 30% of Singaporeans are vulnerable to scams

What does it take for the govt to act and prevent scams from happening.

not 61% meh ?

Not bad for a security guard to save 155k in 12 years.
[+] 1 user Likes mikotan's post

Amount 5k and above need to go through bank staff's approval

(07-08-2023, 11:47 PM)mikotan Wrote:  Not bad for a security guard to save 155k in 12 years.

He got more money than I do... And a job.

(07-08-2023, 10:38 PM)Huliwang Wrote:   “a fool and his money are soon parted” 

greed as well

You have 4 user(s) on ignore
Somme road, alerts,  Choc,  winbig

Foo Mee Har is my sister in law - FACT
https://linktr.ee/freckydoodles
http://www.yuffy.com/trial/clippings.html
[+] 1 user Likes wendychan's post

Not only this type of scammer also must be carful on those expensive courses that promise you to become millionaire by investing such as options and shares.

(07-08-2023, 11:21 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  Could it be greed?  Since he already working as a security guard right? Thinking

Must be karma lah?

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

Nowadays Gov agencies also cannot really help to do any job matching that why many fall into the scammer hand.